Forum

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sunday ride 22nd.Epping
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:27 am 
I would love to join but I am beginning to hate london transport system !
Considering jubilee and metropolitan are not working on Sunday my options are:
getting first capital to West Hampstead,
then London Overground to Gospel Oak and from there to Blackhorse Road to get on the rail.
According to TFL I can't get my bike on that section of the overground, between Gospel Oak and Blackhorse Road ...

Am I stupid or the system is not working ? Does any of you know alternative routes from NW9 region ?

Sorry to spam like this, I am frustrated, can't find a way to get there on a weekend

BTW, why is it always around 9 ? isn't that really early ?

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:02 pm 
stykiaz wrote:
I would love to join but I am beginning to hate london transport system !
Considering jubilee and metropolitan are not working on Sunday my options are:
getting first capital to West Hampstead,
then London Overground to Gospel Oak and from there to Blackhorse Road to get on the rail.
According to TFL I can't get my bike on that section of the overground, between Gospel Oak and Blackhorse Road ...

Am I stupid or the system is not working ? Does any of you know alternative routes from NW9 region ?

Sorry to spam like this, I am frustrated, can't find a way to get there on a weekend

BTW, why is it always around 9 ? isn't that really early ?

Both points I have been pondering..is it possible to get to Epping without a car and why so early ..im still snug in my duvet ! :)

Andy

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:06 pm 
The only route I can find for now I Getting the First Capital to West Hamsptead/Kentish Town (not sure if its stop on kentish town, TFL is skipping that stop ) and cycling to the rail from there ( 4-6 miles ) and the getting on the rail. Same exercise on the way back ... This is a 0630 waking up alarm ;)

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:15 pm 
You think 9am is early, we used to ride at 8am for years as some had families ie children to get back to. It works for me as my mrs get`s a lie in whilst I`m riding then we can go out in the afternoon, which reminds me I have a nice bbq sunday afternoon, now I wouldnt want to miss that would I. :lol:

--------------------------------------
Its easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:22 pm 
Just had a browse about...

http://www.epping-forest-mbc,co.uk/

and

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/11701.aspx

are usefull...For me it looks like a train to Stratford and then ride upto Leyton..assuming the tube is running, its very often not on that stretch at weekends.

Andy

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:32 pm 
andydd wrote:

and

are usefull...For me it looks like a train to Stratford and then ride upto Leyton..assuming the tube is running, its very often not on that stretch at weekends.

Andy

Out of curiosity what did you find useful about the epping-forest-mbc ? Is it the saturday at 10.45 ?

If so if it helps I could probably lead a ride on saturday`s as footie season is finishing and as I work nights a later start would be ok with me.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:43 pm 
ninja wrote:
andydd wrote:

and

Andy

Out of curiosity what did you find useful about the epping-forest-mbc ? Is it the saturday at 10.45 ?

If so if it helps I could probably lead a ride on saturday`s as footie season is finishing and as I work nights a later start would be ok with me.

Well.I actually meant that they have some transport info in their FAQ section, but yeah..10.45 is more of a reasonable time though :)

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:27 pm 
Ill have to add some more blurb in the riding spots section. We have "There are trains to Chingford from London Liverpool Street, and the Central Line to Snaresbrook, South Woodford, Epping or Loughton gives easy access to the forest" in the Epping tab. But a bit more info is deffo a good idea as it seems to be a hot topic right now! :)

I used to live in central London so I feel ur pain having to negotiate the madness of public transport with a bike!

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:54 pm 
I'd fancy joining in on the Sunday but a bit worried just how technical/fast it'd be considering I'm not the fittest lad (it took me about 3 hours to do 18k XC last weekend up in the peaks : http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/nAPKn48jrVY though it was my first time out since October)

I too have the same issues with public transport plus my bike :\, I need to get from near West Drayton, though in the end wasn't too bad last weekend, ended up on train into paddington and then had to cycle to euston, to then get the train up norf (although driving on roads in London really isn't something I enjoy)

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:11 am 
chrisg wrote:
I'd fancy joining in on the Sunday but a bit worried just how technical/fast it'd be considering I'm not the fittest lad (it took me about 3 hours to do 18k XC last weekend up in the peaks : http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/nAPKn48jrVY though it was my first time out since October)

I too have the same issues with public transport plus my bike :\, I need to get from near West Drayton, though in the end wasn't too bad last weekend, ended up on train into paddington and then had to cycle to euston, to then get the train up norf (although driving on roads in London really isn't something I enjoy)

Hi chrisg you will be fine on this ride, if you managed 18k in the peaks this will be a doddle. The ride is as fast as the slowest person, of course its nice to keep a reasonable pace and last week was particularly slow but nobody complained. At the moment there are only a few of us regulars on a sunday and I think its fair to say we are just glad others want to join us. The only complaints about slow riding would in fact come from new riders, I certainly can`t control that, but the fell`as that have joined us so far have been more than understanding. I`m trying to piece together a loop before the main ride for the slightly more experienced riders so everybody has a smile on their face and finds the sunday ride fullfilling. Its not that easy as I`m not exactly the fittest person myself , and have only been getting out more this past 3 weeks or so :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:01 am 
Hi Chaps,
I may grace you with my presesnce again? ;)
Obviously i'll try to get there for an early spin and stretch "Cally" as not really put her through her paces yet.
I'll confirm friday, but looking at my options of Thorndon or Danbury, I might just enjoy epping more? (assuming it doesnt rain between now and then that is?) :lol:

Anyone use Maxxis Crossmarks overthere? My front end was a bit twitchy last week so might swap it out for one of my crossmarks?

Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:28 am 
VW-surfbum wrote:
Hi Chaps,
I may grace you with my presesnce again? ;)
Obviously i'll try to get there for an early spin and stretch "Cally" as not really put her through her paces yet.
I'll confirm friday, but looking at my options of Thorndon or Danbury, I might just enjoy epping more? (assuming it doesnt rain between now and then that is?) :lol:

Anyone use Maxxis Crossmarks overthere? My front end was a bit twitchy last week so might swap it out for one of my crossmarks?
Hi Ian would be great to see you back at Epping, the tyres I havent used crossmarks tbh. What were you using last week out of interest to make front twitchy ?

Post subject: Re: Sunday ride 22nd.Epping Open to change the time sligh
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:45 am 
Its a Geax Sagaorgo thingy, very light and fast rolling but it doesn't like loose stones, which we came across a lit on Sunday. The race King was fine on the back?

Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

Post subject: Re: Sunday ride 22nd.Epping Open to change time slightly
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:26 pm 
Hi Nora, i'm up for Saturday rides around Epping. Not the quickest of riders and fitness is a little lacking at the mo but until last year hadn't been on a bike in years.

Rob

Post subject: Re: Sunday ride 22nd.Epping Open to change time slightly
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:30 pm 
I might be around myself on Saturday too, starting from near Loughton.

For getting there Sunday how does :

West Drayton->Monument district line

Ride to Liverpool street

Liverpool street->Chingford train

Ride to loughton

Loughton->epping central line

sound to get there without cycling too much (to save my little legs and energy, for the actual riding, of course!) My knowledge of London transport is pretty rubbish so if anyone can think of a better route :D

I tried using the 'I want to take my cycle on public transport' on the tfl journeyplanner but it hadn't the foggiest what to do and told me it couldn't find a route :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next