Forum

Post subject: Re: wanna ride the Olympic track?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:21 pm 
DH's do not want DH in the Olympics.. there is enough red tape with the UCI let alone letting the Olympic committee get hold of it.

I think what riders like me want is a legacy which isnt dumbed down but has the potential to challenge riders looking to progress.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:59 pm 
I'm pretty certain that dirt rode the finished track, the only changes since the test event last year were only slight widening n the rock garden. I've ridden it and saw lil kids have no problem with bits like leap of faith so its difficulty has been over emphasised a bit in my opinion.

Last edited by andydd on Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:03 pm 
Karve wrote:
DH's do not want DH in the Olympics.. there is enough red tape with the UCI let alone letting the Olympic committee get hold of it.

I think what riders like me want is a legacy which isnt dumbed down but has the potential to challenge riders looking to progress.

Exactly..you put it better than my ramblings..:-)..it also would cost very little to put in the odd 'extreme' feature such as berms or small tabletop ? Thus making it fun for xc's , dh's be they beginners or experts.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:13 pm 
So does anyone want to ride the course? I read elsewhere that you can get a group entry with ECC... Is there anything stopping us from just going there and riding it anyway?

I liked your video Karve! Surely top xc riders must be way better technically then your average weekend warrior (that'll be me then)? They spend so much time on their bikes. Putting it another way, if I went out for a ride with Nick Craig, I think he'd be the one giving tips, not me...

I reckon the difficulty for the xc pros comes from having your heart rate at 190 for an hour and a half, then taking one of the features at speed on an 80mm carbon hardtail with the saddle about 8" higher than the bars, whilst ten other riders are buzzing your back wheel...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:27 pm 
I'd like to ride it, its my local riding spot anyway and would be perfect if it was linked up to exisiting trails.

Its still all fenced off at the mo. and noticed it had security guards there today, there is gonna be a young riders event in October so my understanding is that no-one can get on it before then and wont be opened untill sometime 2013, I just hope too much isnt removed and leaving basically just a gravel loop.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:12 am 
Theres a national "youths" race there in october, so that will be interesting what lines they take?
I'm not saying the place is Uber Gnarley, but average joe on his apollo would have issues.
Now going back to the grading system, to quote Monty python "your making it up" Just like thetfords red and black runs :? there is nothing remotely red or black about them, more of a pastel blue.

The MSG race there next year would also be interesting, as i have trouble being caught up behind Lycra Louts who find places like Hylands park technical! and thats Flat!

--------------------------------------
Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:32 am 
Or falling on their arses due to a bit of mud at MSG Braintree. I still don't see why they can't keep the track as it is and add chicken runs. No one is going to make people ride sections they can't cope with. I guess it's all down to stupid liability. If you take on something too big at a trial centre and hurt yourself it's your fault.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:36 am 
Yeah, chicken runs are the answer i guess, but at the risk of loosing the flow onto the A runs, EG putting in gates like in wales.

Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:22 am 
Just seen this (cut n paste from FB group)

Steve Coulson
ok, can we finally put this to sleep now...

I’m from Essex County Council Comms Team (Thanks for the heads up chipps)

There seems to be some miss-communication here. I would like to state that ECC plans to created deviations AROUND techn
ical features that some riders may not wish to tackle - we are not planning on ripping out the technical Olympic features as we have aspirations for the venue to be used for elite competition.

We were offering riders the opportunity to come and ride the course before we start works on it, as the venue could be closed for some time for construction. This is NOT a 'last chance' to ride the course scheme as some of you have interpreted. We simply would like you to come have a go whilst you are all raring to go, otherwise you may have to wait a while before it is open to the public.

If you do have any question, please feel free to drop a response on here and I’ll get back to you.

Hope this is a little clearer

It doesn't matter what you ride

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:55 am 
Ah that's more like it!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:56 am 
So how do we get on there then ?

Bike pics
www.pinkbike.com/u/nwmlarge/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:15 pm 
The track or the fb group ? for a ride on the track see the original post on this thread for the group just search hadleigh mountain bike group

It doesn't matter what you ride

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:30 pm 
I've emailed off to show my intrested (just rambled on about places i've riden be in Wales) and have been put on the list for a chance to ride, see what happen

RAF spitfire PEDAL-WORX RACEING

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:52 pm 
I'd also like to ride the original course if possible when I'm around there, in October. We'll see.

My sponsor in Spain
http://aplbike.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:14 pm 
Yes..the quote from ECC reagrding the track posted by Jon has cleared things up a bit and does differ from some of the other info. posted up reagrding the track which was a bit along the lines of..the decision regarding the track has been made and it will be santised, rocks removed, used soley for XC and anyone wanting anything a bit challanging should look elsewhere, it appears that that isnt quite what is happening.

Andy