Forum

Post subject: Places to ride near Hertford/Ware?
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:36 am 
Hi,

Firstly hello, as I'm new here. :)

I should be moving to the outskirts of Hertford in the near future and I'm wondering if there's any riding in the immediate area?

I already visit Broxbourne Woods occasionally and I'm looking forward to spending more time around there and hopefully joining a few rides. What I'm really curious about, though, is whether there's anywhere I could nip off to if I just had 20 minutes to get out one evening?

I'm going to be on the south eastern tip of Hertford near the A10/A414 roundabout. I know jumping in the car and heading down to Broxbourne is likely to be the best answer for decent trails, but are there any bridleways or anything I could investigate in the immediate area? Last time we went to view the house I noticed what appeared to be some woods off Stanstead Rd, but looking at Google Maps I'm guessing this is barely more than a clump of trees?

For when I've got a bit more time on my hands I guess what would be really good is an off-road route that takes me from Rush Green type area down to Broxbourne Woods. Don't suppose such a thing exists?

Cheers,

Chris

Post subject: Re: Places to ride near Hertford/Ware?
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:12 pm 
Hi Chris,

welcome to the forums

you can get to Broxbourne woods from Rush green with very little road riding, if you look on google and find Hertford Heath and a lane called Elbow lane which is in fact a dirt track then a single track that will take you to the top of the woods which join Broxbourne woods and theirs plenty of single tracks which can make up a good 2 hours of fun.

I live between Hertford and Welwyn garden city and normal go along the cole green way to Hertford then hit mangrove rd to get to the woods do a loop of some single track then head back home which takes about 2 hours for me and about 20miles.

but ive not been out on my bike for a while due to seeming to always getting a cold when I can go out on the bike or just life getting in the way when ive not got a cold, but I be happy to meet up for a ride to show you some trails there just as long you're not a super fit whippet rider who likes going up hills quicker than you go down them!!!. i'm a bit of a plodder up hills and on the flats but love the down hill bits.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:25 am 
Hi Steve,

Thanks. It's going to be at least a month before we move (going through solicitors and stuff currently...) and I'm certainly no whippet either, but I'd be up for that.

It was a slow day at work yesterday so I dug out an OS map online. It seems there's probably a track that runs parallel to the north side of the A414 and then an underpass or something that takes you under the road towards the (stupidly named) Ekuilibrium Centre near London Rd. From where I'm going to be that might just cut out the road riding altogether. That's the plan, anyway.

I know Broxbourne Woods reasonably well by sight. Couldn't name any of the areas, but looking at the map I think some of my favourite riding is actually Hertford Heath type area.

I used to start on White Stubbs Lane at the southern end of the woods, and begin by riding a brilliant bit of singletrack that traverses the hill following a stream for most of its length. Then I'd cut up the hill and eventually end up at a clearing next to a farm. From there I'd pick up a trail that starts on a boardwalk section and drops you out near a pub.

After that I'd tend to pick up a Roman(?) road - possibly Elbow Lane looking at the map - that goes past some very nice houses and deposits me on a road, which I think is on the outskirts of Hertford Heath. There's some straightforward riding for a half a mile or so after that, but then it gets hillier and a bit more technical again. The furthest extreme of the ride I used to do involved a steepish climb up a wide track to where there was what looked like a cricket ground next to the woods. I'd then loop round to the left on a brilliant little bit of fast, flowing singletrack that took me back to the base of the climb. After that I'd usually be ready to retrace my steps back to the car park.

It's ages since I've done it, so that description probably doesn't make a great deal of sense, but it was worth lugging the bike into the car for a half hour drive. Very much looking forward to being within riding distance.

Chris

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:51 pm 
Hi Chris / Steve. I live in Hertford Heath and there is a couple of routes to get through to Broxbourne Woods and beyond. I've been riding round here for 10 years +. Let me know if you want to grab a ride from Hertford Heath! I'm a diehard XCer but enjoy lots of Singletrack ups and downs which you can find in Broxbourne and Wormley Woods.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:15 pm 
Chris. I have rides that go out in various loops from the Hertford area. None are demanding in terms of single track skills but are fun rides. Do you have a Garmin, happy to mail you the routes I have if that is possible?

Borxbourne Woods is about the best place locally with some really nice trails. Horribly boggy in the winter though!

John

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:53 am 
Hi gents,

We now have a moving date! I should be in Hertford (and more importantly in possession of somewhere to store a muddy bike) from the beginning of August. Would be good to get out fairly shortly after.

On a related note, can anybody recommend a good bike shop in the local area? I need to get my Sub Five 'refreshed' before I do any serious riding.

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:36 am 
Congratulations on the house, never an easy thing to accomplish !!

--------------------------------------
It doesn't matter what you ride

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:43 am 
Go to stanley bridge cycles in waltham abbey and speak to Dan, he services and sorts out a lot of our bikes and can't do enough to help.
tell him we sent you down.

--------------------------------------
Bike pics
www.pinkbike.com/u/nwmlarge/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:42 pm 
You could try Bike Active in Stansted Abbotts (a couple of miles down the road): http://www.bikeactive.com/. It's a 'proper' MTB shop, does nothing other than great mountain bikes and bits!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:20 pm 
banger wrote:
You could try Bike Active in Stansted Abbotts (a couple of miles down the road): http://www.bikeactive.com/. It's a 'proper' MTB shop, does nothing other than great mountain bikes and bits!

+2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:05 am 
Steve1210 wrote:
banger wrote:

+2

Heard recommendations for this place elsewhere. I think I'm right in saying they're an Orange dealer? The bike does need a very thorough service, not least because I have a trip to Cwm Carn coming up in September (which, in itself, is worrying as I'm carrying a beer belly the size of Kent currently...)