Forum

Post subject: Hertford Heath/Broxbourne Woods - Saturday 28th September
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:17 pm 
Having finally got my mountain bike back I thought it would be good to head down to Broxbourne Woods before the mud descends.

I'll be cycling over from Hertford, but if anyone else is up for it I could meet you in Hertford Heath. (I think I'm right in saying it's okay to park by the village green near The Goat pub?) Could either do mid-morning or sometime after half three.

Be warned: I am massively unfit and massively out of practice, so the pace will be quite sedate.

Drop me a PM if you fancy it.

Post subject: Re: Hertford Heath/Broxbourne Woods - Saturday 28th Septembe
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:32 pm 
Anybody planning to do this again?
Recently moved to Hertford. Bought a Specialized Hardtail and keen to use it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:35 pm 
I've been avoiding it as it's a massive mud pit right now, the fire roads are ok, but most of the trails have puddles and mud that can be up to bottom bracket deep.

--------------------------------------
http://www.moohcowh.co.uk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:26 pm 
I'll be back as soon as the trails have dried out ... which may be some time, admittedly.

danielyuki - dunno if you've been to Broxbourne Woods yet, but when it's dry that whole area is pretty good for riding. It links right through to Hertford Heath so you can be on the trails in about 10 minutes from the edge of town. Haven't been out since October or November time, but I can imagine it's like riding in treacle in this weather!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:35 pm 
Danielyuki - I'd be up for this. I brought a Scott 960 29er last year and have not done it any kind of justice. So called keen mates with bikes have not materialised more than once. I'm in Waterford so not far. Let me know when you fancy it. Weekends are generally best for me. Cheers Seb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:07 am 
Good point guys, do you think it's still too wet out there?
Would be up for it as soon as it's dry enough!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:50 am 
I've only moved to the area recently, but I've been going to Broxbourne for a while and it always seems to be the last place to dry out! No idea what it's like at the moment - haven't ventured there on a bike since well before Christmas - but I would imagine it resembles a swamp. Still, only one way to find out.

(Coincidentally, I was vaguely contemplating a back-to-basics rigid frame single speed as a winter bike... Doubt I'd actually get up any of the hills without the lower gears, but it would at least mean less cleaning on days like this!)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:09 am 
Looks like it's going to be nice weather from now until tomorrow. Is that enough to dry it out?
I might check it out tomorrow. Anyone else up for chancing it?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:02 pm 
It will improve it in some places, but it won't really flow unless it's warm & dry for over a month.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:07 pm 
It was really muddy in places but I had a great time today. crossed Spitals brook and then double backed toward Hertford and found a great track by a steam parallel to Brickendon lane. Anybody know it?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:17 am 
Yeah the rooty trail

http://www.ukbikeskills.co.uk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:29 am 
I popped through there today as we'll and it was very mixed.

Northern wood was a huge bog and not actually rideable, but the more southern ones were ok in a lot of places.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:03 pm 
The rooty trail next to the stream is great, but there are plenty of others. I'm partial to the one that starts off on the section of boardwalk near the farm and eventually deposits you on the edge (northern edge?) of the woods near the road (apologies for the vague description, I don't know the names of any of the landmarks!) From there you can take the Roman road (Ermine Street?) over to Hertford Heath, where there are more trails.

Everything I've ridden has been north of White Stubbs Lane (when I used to drive up I'd park in the car park just off the sharp bend on Pembride Lane: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.74510 ... zA4hSA!2e0) Looks like there's quite a substantial area to the south of that too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:02 pm 
Has anyone tried Bramfield Woods? They stretch to Bramfield, Tewin and Watton-at-Stone or so I think. Also any of the sections around the old disused quarry's that are between Waterford and Stapleford (North of Hertford). I popped out on Sunday morning but not for too long as I am trying to get used to my Shimano clip on pedals. Not convinced at the moment but will try and persevere. I know where Broxboune Woods are so would be up for a tour.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:55 am 
Nope, but I'd be up for that at some stage.

Got the train out from Hertford North the other day and could swear I saw some trails in the woods near there.