Forum

Post subject: Another newbie question about Epping
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 2:40 pm 
Hi folks
Sorry for adding to the list of Epping Forest questions on here but it seems this the best place for answers. Serves you all right for being helpful!
I've recently moved to Forest Gate and was wondering about Epping routes. I've found plenty of useful stuff on here about rides but it all seems to be up past Chingford station. That's fine for weekends for me but I was wondering whether there's anything a bit closer to home for weekday evenings: around Wanstead for instance or even near Walthamstow. I can see there's plenty of patches of Epping Forest around but not sure how much rideable (disappointed to see all the no cycling signs on the single track in Wanstead Park).

Post subject: Re: Another newbie question about Epping
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:04 pm 
You can ride from whipps cross to chingford ok.....Got some bits around the wooford aerea of it if you know where to go ...

--------------------------------------
Its easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:29 pm 
Check out routes on Strava (computer prog , mobile app) gives you a good idea

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:37 pm 
Thanks. Will check out Strava.
Also found this http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=794169
I can cut across Wanstead Flats to connect with this route. Looks ideal for getting me started.
If you see a bloke on elderly yellow Roberts D.O.G.S.B.O.L.X wheezing his way around the trials looking like he's not ridden much in the last few years, it'll be me.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:29 pm 
Roberts D.O.G.S.B.O.L.X - that is a classic frame! Nice

Unfortunately Epping is a place you really have to just get out there and learn. Follow your nose if you see a trail and try and learn how it all stitches together. A map really doesn't help as it changes all the time and all the trails are so close together. I will be doing an Epping forest introduction ride soon so keep an eye out for that.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:44 pm 
Jon wrote:
Roberts D.O.G.S.B.O.L.X - that is a classic frame! Nice

Unfortunately Epping is a place you really have to just get out there and learn. Follow your nose if you see a trail and try and learn how it all stitches together. A map really doesn't help as it changes all the time and all the trails are so close together. I will be doing an Epping forest introduction ride soon so keep an eye out for that.

Thanks for the heads-up, Jon. I'll keep an eye out. I'm happy enough to just follow trails as I find them but the intro ride might be useful for getting me oriented a bit. I used to ride a lot (easy growing up in Brighton) but haven't done much for a while. Really looking forward to getting out and exploring a bit.
The Roberts is a lovely frame but getting on a bit; must be old enough to vote by now! Not really in much of a condition to do it justice at the moment but I'll get that sorted. No stopping me by the end of the summer!

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:11 pm 
Hey Oleg...

Here's the route from Forest Gate up to High Beech, or at least the simplest one ;)

http://www.strava.com/activities/59254507

It's good in the summer but in the winter it's a bit of a boring mud slog... did a bit of it on Sunday with my son and it's not too bad right now, or a least it was before the down pour that's just gone by :lolno:

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:26 am 
That's brilliant. Many thanks. Just what I need to get me started.
Looking at better tyres for the mud this weekend!