Forum

Post subject: Epping 5th July
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:17 am 
Weather is good... trails are good... what more could you want ;)

Route.... usual bits..

Leaving at 10:00am from Bury Rd car park. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/51.635904,0.012584//@51.635456,0.012647,191m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m4!4m3!1m1!4e1!1m0?hl=en

Postcode - E4 7QJ

The car park linked is in two halves... rough part and a tarmac part. Either part is fine as you can see one from the other.

If you're running late and miss the start you may be able to join us at the bacon stop here - https://goo.gl/maps/z3ni5 We usually stop at the cafe next to the Kings Head at about 12:00, although be warned we don't always stop there and the time can vary ;)

We ride for about 4-5 hrs ( maybe a bit longer ) and cover about 20 - 25 miles ;) depending on the route. Pace is moderate with a bacon stop about halfway through :thumbup:

All Welcome.

FAQ.

What do I need to bring?

Apart from you and a bike...
Some way of dealing with a puncture a spare inner tube in whatever flavour you need is best as it’s quick to change... a repair kit is good to carry but a bit of a faff to use in the middle of a ride. If you’ve got a tube lots of people will help you to change it... pull out some patches and glue and we’ll meet up with you on the next ride ;) . A pump, someone will have one but you should have your own anyway.

A chain quick link to match your chain type for those broken chain moments.

Multi tool and tyre levers, again someone will probably have them but so should you!

Something to drink and a snack.... cereal bar, banana or similar. We stop for bacon but you never know when the munchies will hit.

Is the ride suitable for beginners?

Really the answer is yes and no.... This isn’t a ‘fast’ ride but you do need some sort of basic fitness level ( not much... but some ) . There aren’t any massive descents that need full body armour but there are some ‘interesting’ sections. Nothing that can’t be rolled over. Lots of slippery roots to keep you on your toes though.

We stop at the end of each section for everyone to catch up and get their breath back, although maybe not as much as you would like. We try ( with limited success sometimes ) not to lose anyone.

So...

Just bought a bike and haven’t done any sort of exercise for the past 20 years, this was me a year ago ;) , you’re possibly going to struggle but come along anyway and give it a go. If it’s too much for you or the rest of the group are having to wait too long we can point you at the fire roads and you can enjoy the day at your own pace :thumbup:

Just bought a bike or been riding for a bit and have any level of fitness... yes you’ll be fine.

Post subject: Re: Epping 5th July
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:29 pm 
Should be up for it Martin

--------------------------------------
Vitus Escarpe 29

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:36 pm 
I'm gonna say yes...but depends on how I feel on the morning!! :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:59 pm 
I hope to join you as well.

Just must not drink tooooooo much Saturday evening.

If I'm not there don't wait.
Trev

Last edited by Trevtrails on Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:39 pm 
Hi Mate,

I'm new to the forum but would be keen to join. Fairly limited mountain biking experience but I go out on a road bike a couple of times a week and run at least twice a week so am fairly fit.

Is it alright to rock up?

Cheers

Jed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:47 pm 
Hi Jed... yep no problem for you to join... what the ride is for :thumbup:

If you're fairly fit that'll put you one up on me ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:34 pm 
Hey,
I'm new to the area :-) just moved from Wales (lots of downhill and this lots of uplifts!) Not the fastest on the uphills but not bad on the way down!
I have an Orange patriot, recently upgraded to a 10 speed, or a tired old basic hardtail, which would i survive better on on your ride? and would I be able to join :-)

Thanks,
Stacey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:09 pm 
Hi Stacey,

Nothing in Epping that can't be ridden on a hardtail ( I ride one )... lots ride full sus though so what ever you're happy with will do.

If you're from Wales don't worry about the uphills in Epping ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:28 pm 
Both my bikes are not rideable at the moment, i should be able to make one of them rideable early in the morning. If i can, ill be there.

GT Chucker XS1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:56 pm 
I'm in a similar boat to some of you, off to a birthday party tonight and it could go either way :)

Maybe see you tomorrow :wave:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:02 pm 
I will most likely be there. Been ages since I've ridden Epping. Will try and remember my EHMTB top and plenty of water.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:32 pm 
I would like to join you. Been to epping a few times only and need some help with routes. Also have a new bike (replacing one that was stolen recently ) that I would like to try out some more.

See you tomorrow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:21 am 
Probably not going to make this now as it's a 45 minute drive and I haven't left yet! Maybe next time.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:24 am 
Not going to make it today either, see you next time.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:26 am 
I havent managed to get my bike ready in time. Almost there but i still havent had anything to eat. Looks like ill be missing this one unfortunately :( :( :(

Looks like 3 of us bailed in the space of 5 minutes LOL

GT Chucker XS1