Forum

Post subject: Bikepacking
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:39 pm 
Hi all.

ive recently been introduced to this idea of bike packing, seen a few good videos on youtube and vimeo too, some people in the sates, australia, europe, some people cycling around the world, even scotland.
after chatting to a few mates we had a look and found something called the lake district loop, which weve decided to do next year in spring, 4 days graft across some of the best scenery and trails the north has to offer. its quite a lot of mileage though, about 60km a day!
so does anyone have any ideas where about this can be done in the herts/essex area as i definitely need to improve my fitness! or even been and done a trip like this elsewhere, experiences??
looking to start with weekend trips, sat and sun, i live near stansted airport if it helps anyone with ideas.

Cheers

Stu

Post subject: Re: bikepacking
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:02 pm 
An excellent website is warmshowers.org

It is like couchsurfing for touring cyclists. A must if you are on the road for a while.

Some inspiration crazyguyonabike.com

Training wise a regular commute and some longer weekend rides and don't be put off by the weather! Another good way is to get the train somewhere and ride home...

I've done a couple of trips London to Amsterdam via WW1 battlefields and San Fransisco to San Diego. Both amazing trips but any trip is worth planning carefully and NEVER rely only on GPS ALWAYS take a paper map!!

--------------------------------------
Stay loose

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:05 am 
Hi,
I'm also planning to do long routes, probably for 2015.
Here a good starting way would be riding the North Downs (100 miles)

I's like to do the Alpen route 1 in Alps. It's a permanently marked route crossing Alps, mainly in Switzerland. It's 700+km long and 20000 metres climb. I've done few bits ans it's beautiful. It's divided in 16 stages but I reckon I can do it in 10-12 days.
http://bikeland.myswitzerland.com/en/routes/route-01.html

My dream bike...

My sponsor in Spain
http://aplbike.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:26 am 
Sarpullido wrote:
Hi,
I'm also planning to do long routes, probably for 2015.
Here a good starting way would be riding the North Downs (100 miles)

I's like to do the Alpen route 1 in Alps. It's a permanently marked route crossing Alps, mainly in Switzerland. It's 700+km long and 20000 metres climb. I've done few bits ans it's beautiful. It's divided in 16 stages but I reckon I can do it in 10-12 days.
http://bikeland.myswitzerland.com/en/routes/route-01.html

My dream bike...

thanks for the ideas, do you have any more info or where to find any on the north downs route?

that switzerland route looks truly amazing, definately something i'd be interested in if you ever needed someone to do it with :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:04 pm 
Ooopsss! I meant The South Downs way. Plenty of info and maps easy to find. Although it looks like the North Downs is another option?

For Switzerland I´d go with forks, 2 front rings and forget the tri bars . Important to consider a dynamo front hub and a USB port so you can charge batteries. Infinity is a good example.

You can find plenty of ideas on bikepacking.net.

I´ll slowly get the equipment next year. Have nothing with me now. Switzerland let´s go!

My sponsor in Spain
http://aplbike.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:51 pm 
Hi
Pedalled to Paris and back with a tent and bike 20 kgs backpack and panniers there and back on my own and unplanned route.
Slept in fields woods laybys 4 hour tour of paris and back home - done it in 6days 12 hours including waits at ferry etc.
Just do it and enjoy.
I think i was doing up 90 mile a day and sores on my rear you would not believe . (charity got a lot for it though )
Been told the south of France along the coast is really good in summer.
Bob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:38 pm 
Paris is a trip ill be doing next year. going to go to York to watch the start of the tdf, then come home, watch it on eurosport/ITV and 4 days before the final stage cycle from London to Paris to watch the final stage and then train it home. Voila! only thing is that'll be all road riding, which is still good, but my road bike is a fixed gear with a huge chain ring and no mounts for paniers :/

found a good route for the south downs way though. nearly 100 miles, predominantly off road too, singletrack and byways mostly. will be doing this early to mid spring, or sooner if its warm enough to camp and the rain stops!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:05 am 
I recently joined the forum, and have read this thread with interest. Bikepacking is something I am starting to think about trying as I have a third bike which would work well for it. (old MTB conversion)

I road the Arch to Arc (London to Paris) in September last year for charity on my road bike. It was a great event but the riding except for the coastal stuff was a little boring. Riding in the group, peleton style made it fun as i tend to ride road by myself. I was amazed how much riding in a group of even 4 made such a difference. Anyway if you want to see my route i have the gpx file/garmin or strava upload let me know.

I have also riden the South Downs in 2007ish and found it is really well signed, and would be perfect for this. My mates also have done the west highland way (I think thats what it is called), which runs Fort William to Glasgow (about 100miles also). That is worth a look and could be tied in with a trip to a few trail centres,

Also, is any body going to ride over to watch the TDF stage 3 through Essex? I ride some of it on my road bike and was planning on taking the day off to see it. Could start a seperate thread to organise. I was going to ride the route and work out where i fancied setting base for the day

Giant Trance X 29er/Marin Rocky Ridge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:05 pm 
Well i got an email about the longman event in september yesterday. its the south downs route, and seems pretty good. unfortunately it the same time were looking to go to morzine.

ive heard the route to paris isnt the most amazing, there are some nice villages to go through but for the most part its just racking up mileage, i think i can stomach it with the goal of watching the final stage of the TDF once there though.

i read about the west highland way too, looks very good although the climate up the can be so unpredictable, it puts me off, plus its sooo far away!

I'll be going to saffron walden to see the the TDF too, as thats the closest and i ride roadies with a lot of people there.
malc101- where abouts in stortford are you, i live in there too?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:01 pm 
I think you could do the South Downs way off your own back, you dont need an event.

the one good thing about the route to Paris is the roads, except the last 7-8miles are empty and very smooth. there were some nice places to stop for coffee.

Macca5 - Will send you a PM

Giant Trance X 29er/Marin Rocky Ridge