Forum

Post subject: Bike Parks by public transport?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:44 pm 
Hi guys,

As I don't have a car and Epping being my local spot it's the easiest option for me. But now I'm getting a bit bored to ride all the time the same trails and I would like to try new places for a change.

Is there any bike park or any other nice place to ride that you guys know that I could possibly go by train :?:

Post subject: Re: Bike Parks by public transport?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:56 pm 
Are you talking locally or away day?
Thorndon / Warley is easily attended by train to Brentwood?

--------------------------------------
Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:11 pm 
I'm in the process of building a new trail map guide

http://essexhertsmtb.co.uk/mtb-trails1.php

...and have updated most locations with postcodes, car distances and basic rail directions... Woburn and Chicksands need doing but the rest are there including a few new ones. With a bit of pedaling (no more than 4 miles) you can get to everywhere on that map via train

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:23 pm 
Thanks Surfbum.

I meant somewhere a bit further away. I know about Thorndon and also that I could possibly get to Danbury cycling from Chemlsford.

I would like to try somewhere like Chicksands, Aston... But it seems quite a mission to get to these places by train...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:25 pm 
Karve wrote:

...and have updated most locations with postcodes, car distances and basic rail directions... Woburn and Chicksands need doing but the rest are there including a few new ones. With a bit of pedaling (no more than 4 miles) you can get to everywhere on that map via train

Thanks Karve I will check the updated map!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:38 pm 
Karve wrote:

Looks good. Any chance you could add the Flitch Way on to there. I know it's not particularly exciting but it's pretty much all we have near Braintree.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:51 pm 
For chicksands you'd probably be best getting to Arlesey station, it would be about a 6mile ride along the A507 and onto the A600, it may be possible to pick a more direct route off road but i'm unsure about that.

It doesn't matter what you ride

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:52 pm 
Karve wrote:

Cool, if you're heading out of Essexherts but still within the map boarders you may want to add gravesend cyclopark. :thumbup:

It doesn't matter what you ride

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:37 am 
Eccles wrote:
Looks good. Any chance you could add the Flitch Way on to there. I know it's not particularly exciting but it's pretty much all we have near Braintree.

Quote:
Cool, if you're heading out of Essexherts but still within the map boarders you may want to add gravesend cyclopark

Cool - I will check those out

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:41 am 
You could add
braintree bmx track
baddow pump track
hylands park
galleywood common

and whatever the routes are the coastal crew ride

Bike pics
www.pinkbike.com/u/nwmlarge/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:03 am 
Hiya.

Im in same boat at the mo.

A few places are quite easy, Ive cycled to Danbury from South Woodham Ferrers, its about 5 miles I think, not a bad ride apart from the hill at the beginning, its clearly nicer in the summer and a few nice pubs to pop into. Its about the same distanace from Chelmsford and you can visit Baddow pump track on the way.

Most of the other areas are nearish stations, I was looking at Aston Hill the other day and its only 3 miles from Tring, need to check trains though, intercity ones you have to put your bike in carraiage at end, this caught me out last time I got on at Chelmsford.

Warley is just up the road from Brentwood, Laindon and Benfleet/Hadleigh/Leigh are very near stations too.

Obviously you need to avoid rush hours in week days.

Andy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:17 pm 
Aston hill is easy to get to by train, it's halfway between wendover and tring stations. Very linked to London, not sure about parts of Essex though, you might have to go into London then out again...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:21 pm 
chris321 wrote:
Aston hill is easy to get to by train, it's halfway between wendover and tring stations. Very linked to London, not sure about parts of Essex though, you might have to go into London then out again...

Yeah..youll need to ride to Marylebone.........Its do-able. I had a strange trip to Morzine this year which involved working late till 11pm, cycling from Old Street to Euston, packing bike up in bag, getting train to Luton and then flight to Geneva early in morning..very tiring !... Think I'm gonna buy one of the CRC bike bag with wheels next time !

Andy