Forum

Post subject: Advice on taking pictures on your smartphone
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:37 am 
Copied from KTM forum,

You may know about this you may not, worth posting for those that don't !

BEWARE...Posting Smartphone Photos of Bikes

A very kind subscriber to this forum telephoned me and warned me about the danger of posting photos of your bike (whether selling or not) online that have been taken with a smartphone....At the time my bikes photos were on the classified pages as I am selling my KTM SMT.Basically, if you use a smartphone, the picture will have GPS location data embedded, the time you took the photo and the type of smartphone used!!! All a Pikey thief needs to do is open a website (removed as pikey scumbags might read this)Right click the bike's photo, copy the URL onto the webpage and Bish Bash Bosh - he has the Lat/Long GPS data for your house. It even loads a google satellite image.The bloke who gave me the steer had two bikes stolen and could not work out how they got his address. He eventually found out this information and realised he had taken the photo outside his garage with a smartphone.So beware everyone

Post subject: Re: Advice on taking pictures on your smartphone
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:14 am 
I've never thought about the pics taken, but yes it's a good tip. The same applies to tracking devices such as Strava, Edomondo etc... I never start or end tracking in front of my house. Maybe it's a bit paranoid but I rather don't give a chance.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:25 am 
Strava lets you define a zone in which it stops tracking, which is handy. I generally edit my photos (resize etc) before putting them online and this removes the EXIF data (Just checked and there are no GPS coords in the last photos I posted. Also on my Samsung S3 I have the GPS tags turned off in the camera app.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:25 am 
decoxx wrote:
I've never thought about the pics taken, but yes it's a good tip. The same applies to tracking devices such as Strava, Edomondo etc... I never start or end tracking in front of my house. Maybe it's a bit paranoid but I rather don't give a chance.

you can censor your start and finish if you click the function on the strava website

--------------------------------------
Bike pics
www.pinkbike.com/u/nwmlarge/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:29 am 
Perhaps Karve could tweaks the image uploader on here to remove the exif data?

Code:
$img = imagecreatefromjpeg('input.jpg');
imagejpeg($img,'output-gd.jpg',100);
imagedestroy($img);
Simples.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:30 am 
Never knew this good tip :thumbup: Shame these people think like this!Just opportunist out to make a quick buck off someone's back :evil: We have had afew break inn's local to me,always seem to be around this time of year to :evil: why can't you never catch these little scumbags red handed!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:42 am 
@eccles @nwmlarge

That's true I'd forgot about it, actually on mine is off and I've just turned off the geo tag on my phone too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:56 pm 
Simple get a crap phone....!
or simply turn the tag off!

trees dont move!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:50 pm 
Yes i had a kind of presentation on this at work as well as facebok for example taking pics on your phone and posting on facebook if you on holiday people can see your location and then go rob up your house some scary stuff really but you can turn the geo tagging off on most phones

also i believe geo tagging happens on some cameras too o dont be tricked into thinking you safe just because your not using your phone

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:47 pm 
http://voices.yahoo.com/how-disable-geotagging-iphone-android-phone-7656690.html

Butcher | Hanzz | SL3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:18 pm 
Not quite correct for the s3 camera. You just go straight to settings, which appears at the top of the screen and scroll down to geotagging to turn off. Probably different on different Android versions and phones, for example HTC like to put their own custom app in place and custom ROMs often use different apps.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:16 am 
Yup depends on the flavour of your operating system, ice cream sandwich definitely has the settigns 'cog' icon at the top of the screen when you open the camera

It doesn't matter what you ride

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:40 am 
jamesg177 wrote:
as facebok for example taking pics on your phone and posting on facebook if you on holiday people can see your location and then go rob up your house

Shouldn't be an issue if your 'friends' on Facebook are actually pretty much that and not just social networking connections with people you don't really know?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:45 am 
Can edit after taking photo Exif file from image then from camera on Android tick off time date and location .
Gingerbread.

If your using Every trail or sports-tracker one to think about before upload. Just commonsense and I don't use start tracking app from house.
Endomondo can hide map.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:26 pm 
SurferEv wrote:
jamesg177 wrote:
as facebok for example taking pics on your phone and posting on facebook if you on holiday people can see your location and then go rob up your house

Shouldn't be an issue if your 'friends' on Facebook are actually pretty much that and not just social networking connections with people you don't really know?

well you would have thought that yeah but im not so sure anymore when its on the internet its out there for anyone really there must be a way or people to find things like that if they really wanted to

but what i think anyways is if you on holiday.....what you dong on facebook lol?

...this was just an example they showed us tho another they showed us was a mother taking pic of her kids shoes on first day of school now everyone knows the house is empty at school times and exact location alot of it was to keep our locations and homes safe