Forum

Post subject: Carrera brake problems!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:47 pm 
I have a carrera mountain bike and in total I've done about 20 miles and for some reason my brakes are really weak, they are hydraulic brakes so I've checked the fluid and removed any air that might of been there but they still aren't right. I expected hydraulic brakes to through me over the bars if pulled in tight but there don't. Can anyone give me any suggestions as this is really pissing me off lol. Thanks guys

Post subject: Re: Carrera break problems!!!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:52 pm 
I would say look at the pads but you only done 20 miles! Is the brake discs clean no over spray on them?
I would take wheel off and look to see if the pistons are moving freely. You will have to push back to get wheel back on

USE something plastic like a tyre leaver to push pistons back so not to scratch up brake pad.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:12 pm 
Thanks for you time and reply. When you wheel the bike and pull the brake they work well they just don't at speed ( I was doing 24 mph down a hill on the road and nearly hit the back of a car ) this is no fun lol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:19 pm 
Jut have you bedded them in well a few good hard stops from speed to burn off the glaze. It's always worth cleaning the rotors with a rag and degreaser to clear contamination etc
If your running avids like me they need constant care :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:45 pm 
Remove the wheel and fit a spacer of the correct size for your brakes and bleed them., if it's still poor use an Allen key 1mm thinner than the proper spacer and bled them again with that in placeof the bleed block to increase the amount of bite you get

--------------------------------------
It doesn't matter what you ride

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:12 pm 
Sounds like the discs or pads are contaminated. Clean all with a degreaser and adjust calipers. Then as Adam says bed them in with a few sharp stops.

Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:50 pm 
If it's a brand new bike, the pads will need a few miles to bed in (as with cars when new pads are fitted), you could always contact Halfords, it's one of theirs, and again, if it's new, they usually offer a free 6 week service - get them sorted by them?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:29 pm 
The bedding should have happened by now. No way that it takes 20 miles to bed in. I fitted new pads and new rotors both out of the box and it only took 10 minutes going up and down the road doing short violent stops to get them fully bed in.

VW has got it bang on if you ask me. Contamination. Maybe you got some lube on them when you were lubing you chain. Maybe your calipers are leaking a bit of fluid onto the disc / pads? Though its unlikely as the bike is only 20 miles old.

How much lever travel are you getting?

GT Chucker XS1