Forum

Post subject: Who's building?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:09 am 
No dig no ride? So were deep into building season and we can almost see summer on the horizon so how's putting back in and not just riding some one else's work?

It dosent have to be the rampage, and no locations are asked for but share the effort and joy of freshly dug mud?

Post subject: Re: Who's building?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:34 pm 
Pretty pleased with this.. Nearly finished it yesterday

Bank > Bridge > Berm < Bridge < Bank

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 49dfce6614

No more slippery clay.......... and as usual a lot steeper than it looks

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:38 pm 
What did you do to get rid of the clay mate? I need to get rid of a lot round my track. Getting an all weather surface on some parts, but not enough material to resurface the whole 3.5km

--------------------------------------
GIANT TRANCE X 29er
BIRD AERIS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:15 pm 
Woah 3.5km !!

This is more like 6 metres :-0

I used the clay cut from the berm terrace to cover the bridge logs, which worked great all summer, but was getting really slimy over the winter ( especially since the bloody ramblers have adopted it as their new river crossing too).

The gravel top I got out of the stream-bed itself.
P.S dont believe all the supermarket "bag for life" stuff, the bloody handles ripped off after the 9th load

Have you tried going down a metre or so where you are, most of Herts is on gravel & you maybe able to get a mini quarry going. You certainly have access to the machinery .... (Jealous Emote)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:22 pm 
We have a decent sized stock pile, guess I will have to go cap in hand and beg for more. But it soon adds up, 1m wide and 25cm deep is a cubic meter per 4 meters of track. Been lazy lately with the track, but need to get back on top of it with MSG at the end of March.

GIANT TRANCE X 29er
BIRD AERIS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:37 pm 
Hi Scaper

I have read some of your other posts and "get" you are semi-official, but you are fighting "cube" maths.
10cm Depth x Half metre wide would only use 20% of the fill - a bit of subsidence is okay, its mtb afterall.
Shame not to finsh somthing as great as what your attempting (before anti-gravity hover bikes get invented)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:22 pm 
I agree its a massive save on materials, but its more for the compaction quality that 25cm will give over 10. If we could get away with just putting it down and letting it bed in on its own that would save a ton of work, but that would leave it unusable for months. A couple of plate compactors and some press ganged workers should get it sorted. The width is also dependent on what plant we have and how wide the buckets are.

On another note, any good ideas for non slip surfaces on wooden structures? Would prefer to avoid chicken wire as it grates skin and removes digits when people fall on it.

GIANT TRANCE X 29er
BIRD AERIS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:21 pm 
You realy don't want to fall on chicken wire but ice never found anything that works better, especially with rubber. I've built with a few other non slip products, paint on, stick on extra and there all pretty crap. If you find anything please share

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:48 pm 
2nded by Abarthchris, soon as he can talk again

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... nce/page/2

Plus a few ideas for alternatives in the thread

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:16 pm 
Good read, and looks like he will recover ok. We have looked at a few non slip surfaces, but its the same old story. Anything painted or attached wears and falls off pretty quick. Split timber like they talk about is good if you get the right type (from what i have read its ceder) which is expensive. British cycling rules state that all wooden structures must have a non slip surface so its either going to be cross hatched or chicken wire i would guess. Or we will take them out for the race as they are very slippery atm with no non slip on them.

GIANT TRANCE X 29er
BIRD AERIS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:50 am 
Who ever has been digging the massive pits at Dambury covering them over with twigs and badly lipping some of the kickers needs shooting. It risks the area for everyone and the badly lipped jumps nearly killed me the other day. Cheers for that!

Stay loose

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:21 am 
tugger wrote:
Who ever has been digging the massive pits at Dambury covering them over with twigs and badly lipping some of the kickers needs shooting. It risks the area for everyone and the badly lipped jumps nearly killed me the other day. Cheers for that!

Reading and seeing more and more of this on websites and Fb pages all the time unfortunately. Majority of those that have been caught are either disgruntled locals or dog walkers. Sick people about, it won't be pretty if i even catch one.

GIANT TRANCE X 29er
BIRD AERIS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:00 pm 
Choices ?? ...... Jump on the left or chicken out & take the Berm on the right

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 2473c34742

Seems most have been taking the Berm, since ground still too soft to get enough speed for jump

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:33 pm 
Are any of these trails open for anyone to ride? I need to keep the miles up over winter?