Forum

Post subject: Fed Up Riding Alone!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:01 pm 
Hello Guys,
I try and get out on my bike a few times each week but usually only for a quick ride on my own. I thought it was time to find some riding buddies for longer sessions and new locations. The last person I talked into coming to BPW with me ended up cut and bleeding and won't come back!

I grew up in Chingford, spent my teenage years living in Epping and now live up the road at Duxford. Possibly the flatest, least interesting place in the world to ride a MTB. I venture over to Thetford every now and again with the good wife, I've done Chicksands once, but as with BPW none of these are much fun on your own.

I have two young kids so most weekends are spent ferrying them between football, horse riding or frantically doing homework so riding time is at a premium but I'm determined to get out a bit more.

Back in the day I was pretty nifty on a BMX and used to ride the bomb holes at High Beach (and I'm talking 1981 - 1984 so you can guess, I'm no spring chicken). I decided to get back in the saddle about 3 years ago, obviously a middle-aged man on a BMX doesn't work so I gave MTB a go and love it. My enthusiasm often outweighs my ability though :D

Here's a photo from my BMX days taken at Connaught Waters on our way to Higham Hill BMX track in Walthamstow! Perhaps joining you lot is actually more of a return to my spiritual home than I realised (me in red, front right). Some of the others in the photo might be on here too!

--------------------------------------
"What Could Possibly Go Wrong"

Post subject: Re: Fed Up Riding Alone!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:34 pm 
Welcome along, there's a bacon run tomorrow morning in Epping that should be a laff if your about

RAF spitfire PEDAL-WORX RACEING

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:39 pm 
Thanks for the bacon invite, I do fancy it but I have horse riding duties! I'm off to BPW in a few weeks so I need to get some miles in before then so I don't expire after the first hour.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:59 pm 
Welcome.

I know you said its Connaught Waters but the angle of the shot also makes it look like Hollow Ponds where the bombhole used to be. Anyone remember that before it got filled in? Spent many of my younger cycle days there :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:32 am 
It could well be Hollow Ponds, my old brain came up with Connaught Waters but there's no good reason to believe it! It was 35 years ago, and in that time I've forgotten not only countless details of my youth, but on many occasions where I parked the car, why I just walked into a room, where I put my keys, the names of my kids, the names of my dogs (those last two are often interchanged), my wife's birthday, our anniversary and lots and lots of times what train station to get off at!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:26 pm 
Did you bang your head. fairly often, back in your BMX days ?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:46 pm 
A lot less then you'd think from the picture, but clearly something must have happened!

I never let my kids out without a lid, and I never ride (or ski) without one. Back then it was bizarre, you'd wear one for skateboarding but hardly ever on a bike. The only time I recall wearing one on my BMX was at Rom skate park in Romford. Because it was made of concrete and the chance of falling off was very high.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:48 pm 
Hi Benny - I'm in a similar situation to you - severe lack of riding buddies since I moved to Essex a few years ago. I normally head out on my own for a ride on a Saturday or Sunday, and it's sad to admit it's pretty lonely riding out on my own!

I ride all disciplines - XC, Road, Dirt Jumps and Downhill, and a few times a year visit the welsh bike parks and trail centers (CwmCarn/Afan/BMCC etc) with my 'old' riding buddies who are a long way away from me now.

I have ridden Morzine several times and was lucky enough to fly out to Whistler and spent two weeks riding all the trails there which was simply incredible!

I'd like to ride Epping/Thorndon/Danbury with some other riders to keep it interesting and show me some routes so I'm keeping an eye on the forum for upcoming rides that I can join up with (currently nursing a broken finger back to health though so waiting for that to mend).

Road/Mud/Uphill/Downhill/Airborne

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:57 pm 
Hi Tom,
Very jealous of Whistler, I'm genuinely thinking about going out next year and doing what you did. But unless I can find someone else it will be another solo venture! That wouldn't bother me to be honest, it looks a friendly place and I'm sure I'd find others to hang out with.

You ride more disciplines than me, I don't do roads but I will give most MTB a go (maybe not XC, at my age gravity is almost an essential!). I thought about entering some Gravity Enduro this year but couldn't find the time. Maybe next year.

Hope to get out on some rides with you guys or hit the bike parks. Goodness knows I can't continue to do this all on my own :(