Forum

Post subject: Entered the megavalanche....
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:04 pm 
.....and i cannot wait!

Post subject: Re: entered the megavalanche....
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:00 am 
Siiick man!! Im soooo tempted to do it but none of my mates would and ain't up for going it alone would be too much money and loads to sort out

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:40 am 
Cool I'd love to do that one day - money and time...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:47 am 
Kudos... cheshmatt has entered as well I think! Ive heard some of the other enduro events are worth a look too. What bike are u taking?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:14 am 
Yea i only just managed to get the time off work lol. just taking my specialized pitch but it'll have new suspension by the time i go and new wheels too so will be a bit more alps proof

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:40 am 
phil wrote:
yea i only just managed to get the time off work lol. just taking my specialized pitch but it'll have new suspension by the time i go and new wheels too so will be a bit more alps proof

I'd also recommend DH double wall tyres for the alpes too (Maxis Minior or High Roller my preference) not that I've done any races but the time I was in the alpes I got loads of punctures before I got new tyres.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:29 pm 
Yea ill be getting some maxxis minion 2.5's i think and some dh tubes, will make it quite heavy but will be more momentum for the down bits lol

Post subject: Re: Entered the megavalanche....
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:53 pm 
Having done it last year - I wouldnt worry about buying 2.5 just for this event - loads of people running smaller and less agressive faster tread. I would however take some back up mud tyres if the weather is raining - the second half of the race is woody rooty switch back goodness.

Upper quali - rock and singletrack
Lower quali - dusty bermy goodness

Upper race - snow and glacier
Mid race - rocky single track
lower race - woody rooty switchbacks

Pitch will be fine but run the shortest stem you can, a lot of guys on 140 seemed to be fine.

The one thing to get used to though regardless of tyre choice is to get used to running your tyres at 40 PSI (35 at the least), thats what I did and didn't get a single pinch flat or puncture the whole week.

The most important thing is skills - there were 2 types of people that were stacking it and hurting themselves - 1) the guys going all out to get to the front of the startline 2) the guys with not enough confidence to run drops and berms at speed (where speed is your freind). If you are in the middle where you have the skill to ride agressively and fast over challenging (very varied) terrain but are not looking to win the race - then you will have a great time with some bits in your "adventure zone" but nothing too major.

Fitness - intervals and pressups!

Oh lastly - buy, beg borrow or steal a dropper post (with handle bar mount) - practice riding aggressive but perched on your seat as it seemed to be the best way to manage arm pump.

I have loads of head cam footage but still havent sat down to edit it it - when I have I will post it on here.

Loads of people go on their own - if you go through a compnay like Flow mtb (which I did on my own) then they will even put people in touch with each other to co-ordinate lift shares over there.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:49 pm 
Wow! thats like every question i had answered lol, thanks very much. im sure there will be more questions popping up in my head that i'll have to ask you lol oh and what tyres did you use? i want to start buying things soon as poss so i can get all that out the way and not panic last minute

Post subject: Entered the megavalanche....
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:27 pm 
I had 2.5 minion front and highroller back running tubeless. But I was on the heavy side and hadn't bought them specially- a lot of guys running lighter and if you still go 2.5 don't go too tacky. The 2.5 minion Evo (the lighter one for trail riding) is a good compromise and I used that one day and it was fine.

The dust is incredible like riding silt so good to have a front tyre with an edge to cut in (and a spare pair of lungs)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:20 pm 
Would love to do the mega, where did you enter?

Just reading about it here

http://www.summitdown.com/mtb-tours/megavalanche-2012

How much did it cost if you dont mind me asking? On there site it says £400 for a 7 day package with lift pass, accommadation and transfers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:07 am 
It was about 105 euros to enter and thats with your lift pass. you just type into google megavalanche and it comes up with the main website and takes you to some active website and sign on there. they ask you odd questions though like your shoe size and what car you drive lol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:55 pm 
If any of you find a price like that 400 -which includes race licenses and shuttles - jump on it as that was very good value (no wonder they have sold out).

If you are on a budget there is a camp site below the lift station which is really conveniently located.

Make sure you read the bit about providing a doctors certificate. If you dont have a racing license then you wont get your race number without presenting a copy.

From the web debate there sounds like there will be at least a car full from EHMTB?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:01 pm 
I'd really like to do it, but not sure wether is a bit to much too soon sort of thing!
If not this, then I'd like to do either the Passport de soliel or go out to Whistler later in the year

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:06 pm 
Im not 100% sure where we are staying yet as we are still looking around but accomodation doesnt seem to be very expensive which is good. yea me and a friend have got to get docs certificates but my other mate is ok as he has a license. jim you should just enter and think about whether its a good idea or not after the race haha