Forum

Post subject: Morzine,please help:))
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:46 am 
Hi guys not been on here for ages but have now got back into riding this year and have upgraded to a downhill bike(commencal supreme) I want to go to morzine next year so was hoping I can get some helpful tips on cheapish digs and should drive down or fly?? ( the best way to have a great holiday )
Going to porc trail on the 11th of nov and then uk bike park the following wkend if anybody else is going??
Thanks hoots

Post subject: Re: Morzine,please help:))
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:56 pm 
Flying worked out best for me as I traveled alone, met a mate who was staying in chalet tacot which was full of riders on seasons. It was a bit grubby like a student house but cheap and great fun meeting, riding and drinking for s few days. I guess there are plenty of similar digs on town, just make sure you go its awesome!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:42 pm 
2 of us drove down, took the ferry, I think it took us 15 hours dorr to door possible 12 hrs I cant quite remember.
We worked out that the cost of driving down and flying out was pretty similiar. But then there were 2 of us to share the fuel costs.

Next year, were going to drive again, it really wasnt that bad a drive, the roads over in France were great. Very little traffic the whole way really.
Plus we loaded the car up with all sorts of kit and spares somethig i'm guessing would be a bit difficult if flying out.

We stayed in a catered chalet.
http://www.morzineholidays.com/
£50 a night for breakfast and 3 course diner, nice place about 5 mins ride from the main centre of town. I noticed in the back of some bike magazines there were some chalets advertised for £200 for the week catered. chalet flo I think.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:44 pm 
Hiya.

Weve got a lot in common :). I had a Commencal Supreme DH v1 which has seen a couple of trips to Morzine, and Ive recently bought the v2 version (Commencal has a great sale, some older models over 50% off :), I've just finished building it up..see pic.

Anyway onto Morzine and some shameless plugging :0, my brother runs a Chalet business there so been 5 times now (at nice reduced prices), and went there year with some guys from here (Grin, Krash) and had a great time and got some money knocked off...some others from here have also been to the Chalet...I then went again a few weeks later.

Chalet is here > http://www.morzineholidays.com/summer/ and http://www.morzineholidays.com/morzinetrails/ , its run by Paul who lives out there, great guy, great chef, good biker and very handy as he knows lots of hidden trails and people in local shops, I'm sure any of the others from here will agree with me.

Ive been there by various means, last trip, flew from Luton pretty cheap (cheap flights at end of August/Sep) and before that Grin drove and we shared costs which wasnt too bad between two.

Heres a thread of this years trip with various pics and vids. > http://www.essexhertsmtb.co.uk/mountain ... les%20gets

So plugging over, my bruv was thinking of selling place this year but hopefully tyats been put on hold and they are keen to make more of a push in the summer to attract bikers, garage has been nicely re-organised now and has lots of room and tools/spares.

So I am def gonna go next year and hopefully more than once or for a longer period so I'll keep you/anyone else posted on details and hopefully a discount for EssexHertsMTBers.

..and I can see that a fellow visitor Jim has posted before I finished my long post !

Andy
Attachments:
berm.jpg
berm.jpg [ 51.39 KiB | Viewed 502 times ]
comen.jpg
comen.jpg [ 52.31 KiB | Viewed 502 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:57 pm 
Sweet cheers guys some awesome info for me and mates to work with......
We've got a couple of vans and trailers between us so will post here when I have more details if we drive?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:06 pm 
No worries. Driving is a good option mainly coz you dont have to deal with the hassle of putting your bike on the plane and be limited with how much you can take, its a pretty easy drive but a bit dull untill you get to the scenary of he Alps :)

Flight wise, easy jet are cheapest Ive found and costs £25 eachway for bike which isnt bad compared to some others, my local Airport just up the road (Southend) is going to start flying to Geneva soon but not sure if thats going to be winter only.

Transfers can be pricey from Geneva (its about an hour), I went with Ski Lifts, which have an arrangement with my brothers chalet so got it pretty cheap, and I found it was only one a few still running at the end of the season (end of August/early September).

I can email Paul out there if youve got any general questions about the area, such as bike hire, etc.

Andy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:02 pm 
http://wideopenmag.co.uk/news/16304/mor ... re-friends

AAhh..lots of familiar stuff there and looking at the roots some of the 'secret' runs too :)