Forum

Post subject: Off the beaten track with a vague memory - Potential?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:21 pm 
Hey guys. A fair few years ago now whilst out and about with some friends, we came across a pretty small set of dirt jumps in the middle of some scrub-land out of the ass end of Benfleet.

Through some fruitless googling and some random trail-following on google maps, I managed to find it! Sitting the other side of a fence and a short walk from Benfleet MX track, I found it. http://goo.gl/maps/3xLqj

The Surrounding land just looks unowned (Can't say for certain) and untended to, as does the 'track' itsself. Reckon it'd be worth looking into who owns the land and if they'd let it be developed into something decent? They obviously allowed it with the MX track on the other side, why not that side too? Would it be worth the time and effort to build it into something better and, finally, would anyone actually use it?

Post subject: Re: Off the beaten track with a vague memory - Potential?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:59 pm 
Someone off here mentioned this sit last week, went for a walk around it I think. Its in one the recent threads on here somewhere

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:04 pm 
That'd be my post about the MX track, though this post is not about there. It's just past the MX track in some scrubland, if you look on the google maps link, the MX track is just off to the left.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:17 pm 
Did u find it by going along the creek seawall from benfleet station I come across some bmx style jumps there year's ago didnt think they'd still b there just before the mx track ????

--------------------------------------
Yeti 575
cannondale sl4

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:52 pm 
Just looked at link for google maps looks like same spot ive came across !! Worth a look when get a chance

Yeti 575
cannondale sl4

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:53 pm 
Yeah, Geoff. That's the one. It's pretty damn small, I know that for a fact, but with the amount of empty land around, it has potential. At least, it does in my eyes.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:02 pm 
Theres a nice trail to get there from station past a boat moorings ! Have u tried back of morrisons ride past big black jetty further round seawall could b potential around there as well with drops & could build jumps right out the way wouldnt get bothered by anybody

Yeti 575
cannondale sl4

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:15 pm 
Nah, havnt really been round there yet; has been too boggy. May try tomorrow or monday; have nothing better to do! xD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:23 am 
Im busy at mo so not had a chance, basicly ride from lobster smack along seawall under big black jetty & keep going round until get to a floodgate from there explore about iused to ride my mx bike over there years ago not been there for years but well worth a look even just to stretch legs around the seawall be good ride, as soonasi get a chance Ill b taking a look just got to much on at wknds at mo !!!

Yeti 575
cannondale sl4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:47 am 
This has potential, i'm in.....

its not too far from me, i used to ride the bmx track all the time in the early 80's before the MX loop was put in, then the mx's started using the BMX track and wrecked it :( the council were informed at the time and steps were taken to stop the MX boys but the damage had been done, the MX boys moved along and built the loop whilst the animal sanctuary dozed the BMX track as nobody went any more, interested too see the DJ further along though, could be a good place to start and improve, is the land flat or are there drops ?

I've got a shovel....

It doesn't matter what you ride

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:25 am 
Sorry Jon I used to use bmx track as well about the same time as u then evolved to a mx'er basically bmxs big brother !!

Yeti 575
cannondale sl4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:34 am 
LOL no need to apologise ! I used to ride there wit Mark (sid) Salisbury amongst others, happy days !! then i found skateparks and left the dirt behind....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:38 pm 
I remember Sid he used to come over the gunny skatepark on canvey to play on the quarter pipes we used to build !! Didn't do much dirt bmx really used to go rom skatepark as much as I could !!

Yeti 575
cannondale sl4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:05 pm 
Aah the gunny...as much as i loved that place i also hated it with a passion LOL built a steel mini half pipe there sometime in the early 90's when i was a skateboarder !

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:19 pm 
unityjon wrote:
is the land flat or are there drops ?

It's raised at either end, North and South to a small hill like take off point, from what I remember. Other then that, I'm not sure. It's just wasteland. Always worth a look, eh? May take a trip over there tomorrow. Grab some pics, do a quick survey of the land.

And, Geoff? As far as behind Morrisons goes, avoid the sea wall. It's just a bog. I'll be posting some pics in a new thread in a minute. Some places there's 6" deep sitting water... Not good. Though, on the flipside, around the old oil refinery over there where the trails are all sand, gravel or concrete, it's a laugh. Plenty of potential over there, too!