Forum

Post subject: Thetford Winter Series 2011/12
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:56 pm 
Is anybody doing this?
I've not ridden for years so decided to enter this as it saves me turning up at a forest not knowing where to go and getting bored and lonely.

I'm doing the 2 hr, and whilst I expect to be last, I do expect to finish (unless something breaks).

Is anyone else having a go, even better if you're slow, unfit and unskilled like me!

--------------------------------------
2 wheels good, 2 wheels + engine better!

Post subject: RE: Thetford Winter Series 2011/12
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:49 pm 
Although I fit some of your criteria im not sure how many ill be able to do, but won't be doing the first one for sure. Good luck

Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

Post subject: Re: Thetford Winter Series 2011/12
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:18 pm 
If you want showing round thetford i would be happy to take a little trip but the winter series is a little clicky buddy. Good luck you shouldnt need much skill level there just massive lungs and strong legs!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:14 am 
I missed registration for the first round but planning to do 2 rounds

My sponsor in Spain
http://aplbike.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:49 am 
Rob, when you say 'clicky' do you mean it's a bit of an insiders club? Hmm, that's not really me as even when I did ride (5+ years ago) I was never much of a social character, preferred to just have a wobble for a few hours and then toddle off home.
Still, at least it's something to inspire me to get riding.

Vw, I'm not sure which of the criteria you fit? Your profile pic shows a race number so I'm willing to bet you've got an abundance of speed & ability!

So it looks like I'll be on my todd for the first one at least. Oh well, perhaps it's less humiliating this way?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:00 pm 
Hi Jon

Nope, you won't be entirely on your own I'm afraid! I'm in for Round 1 - although I'm taking the path of least resistance and registered for the Fun category with a (non-forum) friend of mine.

First time I've raced anything since school – I've no idea whether I'll get into it or not, so figured I might as well dip a toe in the shallowest part of the water to start with.

I'm number 823 (you're 159 I think?) if you get a chance to keep an eye out on the day.

Either way, good luck and hope you enjoy it. I don't know Thetford really well, but from the times I've ridden there I'm assuming it'll be very pedally, with some tight singletrack where it'll all get jammed up, fireroads where you might be able to make up some places (or get passed) - oh, and looks like it might be wet under tyre after rain Fri/Sat!

Jordan

Post subject: Thetford Winter Series 2011/12
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:38 pm 
If it rains up their (Likley too) then the Thetford sand will grind your break pads away so best get some spares....

Whyte G-160RS
YETI SB95A

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:08 pm 
chatman wrote:
If it rains up their (Likley too) then the Thetford sand will grind your break pads away so best get some spares....

and take spare mud tyres if it rains a lot between now and then, had to stop one year cos the course churned so badly after heavy rain.

Good luck

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:00 pm 
Hi Jordan, I'll keep an eye open for you.
I'll be in a bright red Alfa Mito, probably hiding from the rain and cold.

I expect to get passed by everyone, so will be looking forward to those firetrails!

As for tyres and brakepads, I've got what I've got- and that's it! 6 yr old Specialized tyres and 8 year old Hope brakepads (with 7 year old fluid activating them).
This is a budget operation for a fat, unfit, poorly educated once-upon-a-time cyclist.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:02 pm 
Weather seems to have mellowed a bit.

Good luck and let us know how you get on...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:11 pm 
JonMelson wrote:
As for tyres and brakepads, I've got what I've got- and that's it! 6 yr old Specialized tyres and 8 year old Hope brakepads (with 7 year old fluid activating them).
This is a budget operation for a fat, unfit, poorly educated once-upon-a-time cyclist.
Well i'll know what you'll be doing on monday ;) thats if you dont end up hitting a tree and end up in A+E :lolno:

Good luck fella's, maybe get together after to buy in bulk from superstar replacement brake pads!
last year it was a set a lap!!!!

Bike piccys!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:52 pm 
Save some money and don't brake! :cool:

I've been to Thetford a few times not sure what the course is but I can't remember any really gnarly DH bits that require serious stopping power.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:12 pm 
Duckcm18 wrote:
Save some money and don't brake! :cool:

I've been to Thetford a few times not sure what the course is but I can't remember any really gnarly DH bits that require serious stopping power.

It's not the gnarly down hills that kill the brakes .. it's the Thetford sandy soil and mixed with the mud and rain water, it's the best sand paper effect ever ;) ;)

Whyte G-160RS
YETI SB95A

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:25 pm 
I did a race a tunstall a couple of years ago, very simular surface. Peeing down with rain, brand new pads that weekend , gone by the end of the first lap :shock: first weekend on my first 29er and had an Off and learned how to maintain speed through corners without the need for brakes! the bombholes were a little sketchy though :twisted:

Bike piccys!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:24 am 
Im over to thetford this saturday if anyone is interested?