Forum

Post subject: The Big Ride! 27-28 October
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:45 pm 
Just seen an ad for this and it looks just awesome! Workshops, food, riding, accom all wrapped up for £160!! for 2 days!

Anyone fancy it?

http://www.pyb.co.uk/courses-big-ride.php

Dallas

Post subject: Re: The Big Ride! 27-28 October
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:00 pm 
Thats actually pretty appealing to me! but i dont know if ive got enough time to convince the wife to let me go lol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:16 pm 
Did anyone else fancy this? I might still be tempted though may take the riding part a bit easy as my knee injury isn't getting better quick enough after I cycle.

Dallas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:18 am 
Looks like a good idea for newbies

--------------------------------------
Bike pics
www.pinkbike.com/u/nwmlarge/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:25 am 
Plas y brenin arent usually renound for cheap guided touring coaching or events, my gf is an outdoor instructor and these guys are the cream of the crop for outdoor learning and you pay for it! I had no idea they ran these kind of things, seems like fun!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:53 pm 
I actually went on this, was a good laugh. I thought the coaching was excellent and the guided rides were pretty good.
There was a huge mix of riders, from only ridden a bit to fairly decent riders looking to improve.

They do quite a few different rides through-out the year. Everything from complete newbie weekends to advanced riders looking for some decent Welsh trails, who are looking to improve their skills.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:36 pm 
netheo86 wrote:
I actually went on this, was a good laugh. I thought the coaching was excellent and the guided rides were pretty good.
There was a huge mix of riders, from only ridden a bit to fairly decent riders looking to improve.

They do quite a few different rides through-out the year. Everything from complete newbie weekends to advanced riders looking for some decent Welsh trails, who are looking to improve their skills.

aarrr....Dam.......I give it a miss due to minor injuries not getting better!.....arse......I did have a look at the site though and other rides, I might try to organise one at some point.

Did you go own your own or with a group?

Dallas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:49 pm 
I went with my dad, a sort of b-day weekend thing for him.

I'm already considering heading over again in april or may next year. Want a new bike before I head over there again though. I got to try a 2013 Scott Genuis 920 and it was amazing to ride!! Just have to decide which weekend to go for as there's a good variety to choose from.
I would say that 'The Big Ride' weekend is most like the Mountain Bike Improver, with bits of Beyond the Trail Centre mixed in depending on which rides you picked.

I rode a local unmanaged trail on sat and loop 1 of the Penmachno trails on sunday

Most people seemed to have gone with at least one other person but there were a few who had gone alone. Everyone was friendly enough and would have a chat, even some of the non mtb'ers on other courses.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:11 pm 
netheo86 wrote:
I went with my dad, a sort of b-day weekend thing for him.

I'm already considering heading over again in april or may next year. Want a new bike before I head over there again though. I got to try a 2013 Scott Genuis 920 and it was amazing to ride!! Just have to decide which weekend to go for as there's a good variety to choose from.
I would say that 'The Big Ride' weekend is most like the Mountain Bike Improver, with bits of Beyond the Trail Centre mixed in depending on which rides you picked.

I rode a local unmanaged trail on sat and loop 1 of the Penmachno trails on sunday

Most people seemed to have gone with at least one other person but there were a few who had gone alone. Everyone was friendly enough and would have a chat, even some of the non mtb'ers on other courses.

Arrr.....your killing me here! it sounds epic! :-)

Well keep me posted if you head over there again at some point...determined to go on a few, going on an organised skills course in Swinley in a week, through a couple of people on here otherwise I've done 2 rides in Thorndon which have been great fun.

As for a bike, I can't recommend mine enough, bought a Giant Trance x3 in the summer (day after the Olympics finished when ever that was)....amazing bike for the money, had been researching it a bit through MBR Magazine, they've just completed the long term test of it (10 months) and the guy gave it 10/10. the mag is still for sale now...it has 'London Calling' on the front. There's also a about another 5 or 6 that they reviewed as part of the long term test.

I placed a smallish deposit down then the rest was on 0% finance over a year...I'd suggest getting a new bike sooner as your likely to want to get out more on it.

Dallas