Forum

Post subject: Bike Park Wales.
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:22 pm 
Oh my! I just discovered that this place exists!

http://www.bikeparkwales.com/

I am desperately looking for the time to get up there and try it out. May need 3 days to take full advantage of the experience :D

Has anyone been? What do you think?

Post subject: Re: Bike Park Wales.
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:25 pm 
Yep..A biggish group of people from local riding groups and from here.

Was great fun........best place Ive been in UK. Very well organised, great bike shop/cafe/facilities.

You need to book a long way in advance to get an uplift place though, I didnt book last time and did the push up to the top twice but that was enough !..its a long way, luckily did the 'pay £4 if there is space on the uplift' which wasnt too bad but did have to wait a while sometimes, we went in March on a rather gloomy weekday so I can imagine it may get pretty busy on a sunny weekend.

There are other nearby spots too.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:34 pm 
Looks incredible. It doesn't surprise me that it would be crazy busy. May have to book for next month or later on in the year and try make the most of it.

We have such beautiful places to visit here in the UK. Really want to use MTB as an excuse to get out there more and explore. Shame the weather here really sucks more than often than not :(

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:41 pm 
Weather was a bit bonkers when we went, from sun to hail..but didnt rain that heavily and its quite a grippy place in bad weather too...and Wales doesnt seem to have the best of weather !. Watching the baton relay thingie this morning on Tv it looked like deep winter !

I'd be up for going again if someone is driving down though...........

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:25 pm 
We (my work colleagues and I) try and get up there one Wednesday a month if we don't have a race on.

It's only 90 mins from where we work so we can still leave at lunchtime and get a decent days riding done. The uplift can work out expensive if you are there all day but worth it if you are limited on time and want to hammer it (particularly if the trails are dry and it's not a very busy day).

It's £5 to ride and £4 per up lift if you PAYG, I think it is ~£35 if you prebook the uplift but as others have mentioned there is quite a significant waiting list (1 month plus especially during the summer).

Decent shop and cafe as well as bike wash and workshop for quick fixes.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:00 pm 
BPW is the best trail centre I've ridden this year.. Epic descents and tuff ascents.. I managed to pedal up 3 times, you can session parts of the trail at a time no issues.

As said the uplift is worth it and bookings are months in advance but well worth it and as much fun on a bike as you can have.. They even have a beer called Wibbly Wobbly but you have to go to see why....

--------------------------------------
Whyte G-160RS
YETI SB95A

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:02 am 
Yep..Riding the two shortish runs that go from the cafe/Shop bit to where the uplift stops are two good runs if you dont want to ride/crawl to the top... I felt like Sir Edmund when I got up there !