Forum

Post subject: MSG Round 2 @ Thetford, Sunday 8th May
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:35 am 
Well, after surviving some hot and dusty laps of the Gorrick 100 on the weekend I'm now planning to head to Thetford this weekend for round 2 of MSG.

Anyone else going? I was planning on driving up solo in my economical celica however I do now have a 3 bike rack for my 4x4 so if enough of you want to head up and happy to pitch in for LPG I'm happy to drive. Enough room for 3 bikes on the rack and 1 stripped down, 4 in total - me = room for another 3 people.

P.

Post subject: Re: MSG Round 2 @ Thetford, Sunday 8th May
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:05 pm 
Hi Peet

I'm not doing this clash of dates 8th.
What you doing one or two hour race?
Know VWSurfbum and team mates are going for the one hour.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:16 pm 
Hi, yeah, I'm going for the 2hr, just a shame that it doesn't start until 1pm.

Never been to Thetford though so should be fun. I'll post up results, as long as I don't tree hug or anything :roll:

Still getting used to my new bike but can't wait to get back on it again :D

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 3:48 pm 
Well that could of gone better! lol Managed to have and off and bend my single ring crank at the front! I was doing well for a change and was feeling pretty good.
On the second bomb hole i was leading a pack when the sand gave way underneath me and catapulted me over the top where i then rolled down the bank still attached to my spuds. (there were photographers so there may well be pictures of this?)

anyway, went back and put my bike back and took a few pics.

--------------------------------------
Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:56 pm 
VW-surfbum wrote:
well that could of gone better!.... catapulted me over the top where i then rolled down the bank still attached to my spuds. (there were photographers so there may well be pictures of this?)

I totally agree with the first bit - I struggled on the sandy corners, never ridden on ground like that. I felt like I was in a motocross drifting challenge at one point! :lol: I was battling it out for 3rd place for a bit but some dodgy bike skills in the sand and not enough training meant I cooked the engine and gave time away :roll: . geez they went off quick at the start though! :shock:

I had some friends at the bombhole taking photos, I wish I had seen your catapult as it must have been impressive but I will ask them if they have any pics. Notice how there was only one ambulance and it was parked at the top of the bombhole?! They must have known you were coming lol ;)

I'm really glad that's over.....

P.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 5:08 pm 
Peet wrote:
VW-surfbum wrote:
well that could of gone better!.... catapulted me over the top where i then rolled down the bank still attached to my spuds. (there were photographers so there may well be pictures of this?)

I totally agree with the first bit - I struggled on the sandy corners, never ridden on ground like that. I felt like I was in a motocross drifting challenge at one point! :lol: I was battling it out for 3rd place for a bit but some dodgy bike skills in the sand and not enough training meant I cooked the engine and gave time away :roll: . geez they went off quick at the start though! :shock:

I had some friends at the bombhole taking photos, I wish I had seen your catapult as it must have been impressive but I will ask them if they have any pics. Notice how there was only one ambulance and it was parked at the top of the bombhole?! They must have known you were coming lol ;)

I'm really glad that's over.....

P.

My wife seems quite keen on seeing photo's of me stacking it? :evil: so if they did get photo's i'm sure she'd love to see them? :?

Bike piccys!

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:22 pm 
VW-surfbum wrote:
well that could of gone better! lol Managed to have and off and bend my single ring crank at the front! I was doing well for a change and was feeling pretty good.
On the second bomb hole i was leading a pack when the sand gave way underneath me and catapulted me over the top where i then rolled down the bank still attached to my spuds. (there were photographers so there may well be pictures of this?)

anyway, went back and put my bike back and took a few pics.

Shame you had an off but you did manage to get pics of me and my brothers; I'm 149 and brothers are 148 and 454.

I only found out about this site today speaking to my bro on the way up so was having a quick look and the first link has a got a picture of me on it; best site in the world now I reckon!

I hated all the bumps on the rollercoaster, real energy sapping especially when you haven't got much to start with.

Thought it was an interesting course compared to all the warm up events, sand adds another dimension.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:48 pm 
Nice pics and write up peeps! Looks super fast and dry.

Crash pictures are always well received on this site ;)

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:41 am 
Sorry, my friends don't have any pics but you never know. I'm waiting to see the shot that the camera man took when I exited the forest for the first time at the crossing and was aiming straight at him - I think we both sh*t ourselves :o :lol:

here are some pics of the bombhole, entry and rather ungraceful exit. And yes, I know, I should be on the bike :roll: but then again I didn't see one person get to the top on the bike! It was faster to anticipate the dismoutn and run, rather than try your luck, get stuck, fall sideways and get trampled on.
Attachments:
P1070069 (Medium).JPG
P1070069 (Medium).JPG [ 87.5 KiB | Viewed 640 times ]
P1070189 (Medium).JPG
P1070189 (Medium).JPG [ 129.71 KiB | Viewed 640 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:48 pm 
I didnt make the exit on the practice or even attempt it in the race, everyone else jumped off so i followed suit, made up a few places too.

Some good Pics there Peet, and Simon Your welcome ;)

Bike piccys!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:22 am 
VW-surfbum wrote:
I didnt make the exit on the practice or even attempt it in the race, everyone else jumped off so i followed suit

I sat there with some friends for about half hour earlier in the day and we all agreed that it was faster to anticipate a quick dismount rather than scrambling and coming to a stop.

There was one guy that was adamant he was going to get up and yelled at me to move over - which I did - and then he stopped and slid back down the hill still attached to his bike :lol: I wouldn't say that was the fastest way up the hill which is why most people decided on a planned dismount. The sand was just too deep and too loose.

Colours are starting to come up good now, damn those sandy corners! :roll:
Attachments:
IMAG0305 (Small).jpg
IMAG0305 (Small).jpg [ 30.94 KiB | Viewed 610 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:53 am 
Jesus! That looks like it might hurt some ?
Are you doing tunstall?

Bike piccys!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:33 am 
Oh yeah, it was a good fast slide out on a sandy corner. One of many :oops:

I'm aiming to do all of them so we will see how it goes. Think Tunstall is a bit of a drive though and being late on a Sunday afternoon it isn't great timing. prefer the morning races.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:35 am 
90 miles each way to Tunstall - fcuk! and by then petrol will be close to 1.40pL. :evil: