Forum

Post subject: Fat Bike Build thread
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:16 pm 
Ok, so I have sign off from the boss to build a new bike. Specifically a Fat Bike :thumbup:

From looking at the used market, there are some fat bikes for sale around the £550 to £750 range, but nothing that has all the components on that i would want, so an outlay for a bike that is used and will be striped of its parts, seems like a false economy. Some used bikes are too much money, a guy is selling a Spesh Fatboy, 2015 model, he wants £1300 for it, you can still buy one brand new for that money, he was not willing to drop below a grand (I said I would buy to for cash at £700). Again, the bike would have needed some stuff changing on it to get it to the spec I would want (it was a 2x10, with poor brakes etc). So it brings me back to thinking about building one.

I thought I would document the build process in this thread, so please feel free to give suggestions, advice, tips, tricks, etc. likewise I will use this thread to ask a million questions along the way.

The remit is really to spend as little as possible, but ensure I get good componants.

With Xmas coming up and being a difficult person to buy presents for, I think most people will get me Wiggle vouchers, so if I can use them to good effect for seat post, saddle, bars, grips, pedals etc it will keep 'my' costs down as much as possible. The wife has already donated £200 towards the frame and forks.

So, starting with the frame and fork, which I guess is the most important part of the bike......

The cheapest option out there right now is the On-One Fatty frame and On-One carbon fork, which I guess is a good place to start? together costing £270.

But, there are options;

eBay Chinese Carbon Frame, something like this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carbon-fat-bi ... Sw~bFWMyQp

I would have no idea what size frame to get. It is expensive (compared to the On-One). Would it be any good? I have no idea!

Any other suggestions on frame and fork?

With regards to components;

Wheels.

I will try to spend good money on the wheels, to get some light weight, tubeless rims and good hubs. Lots of second hand options for Surly rims, Hope hubs. Also options for Chinese Carbon rims on eBay. but I don't think I can make a firm decision on this until I have settled on a frame and fork combo so I know my hub spacing etc.

Groupset
The shifters, cassette and rear mech are likely to be SRAM, I would like a 1x11 setup. Brakes will probably be Shimano Deore 615. All are available on eBay at good money (set of front rear 615's can be had for £65, they are probably available cheaper if I spend more time looking)

Crank, I'm not really sure. I have a SRAM X1 BB30 crank (arms and spindle and 94BCD spider), but I'm not sure if the spindle is long enough / remotely usable on a fat bike frame?. If not, then I will be looking for a good crank to fit the frame.

Seat post I will probably stick with an alloy, non dropper, keep it light and simple.

Bars, Carbon if I can find some at a good price.

Pedal, V12's of some description.

Tyres - again available second hand for good money.

So, if you know of any bargains out there, then post them up :thumbup:

--------------------------------------
Specialized Enduro Comp 2015

Post subject: Re: Fat Bike Build thread
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:51 pm 
:mrgreen:
this thread is now redundent

I went to the Spesh shop to look over their Fatboys. I'm going to get on using the cycle to work scheme. They are great bikes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:46 pm 
Good on you Dave. Have you ordered it yet??

Let me know when you have got it and we can arrange a ride with VW as well.

Good to have another fat owner on here.

Hopefully more will follow the fun side...........

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:19 pm 
Not ordered it yet. Will probably do so on Monday.