Forum

Post subject: Front Mech advice needed
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:01 pm 
I've discovered a small hairline crack on the rear triangle on my frame yesterday and because a new triangle cannot be sourced the shop will be replacing the whole frame.

So far so good but the new frame has been updated from the last year and as a result is slightly different. the main issue is though that It has direct mount front mech instead of the conventional which the old one had.

I'm running Shimano SLX Crankset FC-M665 36-22 coupled with SLX Front Derailleur FD-M667 Down Swing.

Apparently as I'm finding out Shimano don't have this front mech in direct mount type as a straight replacement so I need to find something else.

Is the Shimano SLX M676 will do the job or my only option would be eventually SRAM 2x10 38t type?

Post subject: Re: Front Mech advise needed
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:36 pm 
What frame is it? Then I'm sure someone more mechanically gifted than me will be able to help you out!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:46 pm 
Surely if you are being forced to get the newer frame the supplier should be stumping up that cost as its not your problem!
id be telling them to do the homework and then give you the choices!

--------------------------------------
trees dont move!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:41 pm 
luvinit wrote:
surely if you are being forced to get the newer frame the supplier should be stumping up that cost as its not your problem!
id be telling them to do the homework and then give you the choices!

I've changed the cranks from 3x9 to 2x9. If it was 3x9 there will be no issue as the new frame comes as standard with 3x10 SRAM drivetrain hence the problem is mine :)

I can eventually go 1x9 or 1x10 which is also an option if I can't make it work.

This is what it looked like with the old frame
Attachments:
P1050525sm.jpg
P1050525sm.jpg [ 237.76 KiB | Viewed 488 times ]
P1050532sm.jpg
P1050532sm.jpg [ 232.85 KiB | Viewed 488 times ]

Post subject: Re: Front Mech advice needed
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:04 pm 
I'm still thinking luvinit has the right kind of idea, whilst you've upgraded, I'd still be enquiring the possibility that the company re-imburses you some costs for a new front mech. If they would be replacing your original one then they should contribute to a new one too...surely?

It's what I'd be investigating at least?

Dallas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:08 pm 
dallas wrote:
I'm still thinking luvinit has the right kind of idea, whilst you've upgraded, I'd still be enquiring the possibility that the company re-imburses you some costs for a new front mech. If they would be replacing your original one then they should contribute to a new one too...surely?

Dallas

:thumbup:
upgrade or not its there change of design thats causing you to buy a new mech not the upgrade!

--------------------------------------
trees dont move!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:11 pm 
luvinit wrote:
dallas wrote:

Dallas

:thumbup:
upgrade or not its there change of design thats causing you to buy a new mech not the upgrade!

They can supply the mech that comes with the new design which is Sram 3x10 however I don't think this will work with my setup as I'm using 36x22 chainrings when the 3x10 sram has 22x33x44.

The front mech itself is about 25 quid so the cost is not too much of a concern

I just wanted to find out from someone who has some experience with FDs whether SLX 676 will be working with 36t chainring when its designed for 38t-44t?. Having direct mount there is no to drop the FD further down on the frame to compensate for the slightly smaller chainring.

I think I'll give it a go and see what happens :) I tried shimano (madison) support but their website returns an error when query is submitted :evil:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:30 pm 
I did some maths and it turned out that 38t chainring radius is with 0.16" or 4mm bigger that the 36t. This sounds a lot :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:38 pm 
Should be ok. I run an xt front mech from when I had a 22/32/44 triple.. Now run a 36/22 with bash and just adjusted the cable and limit stops. Your chain should clear the FD guide easy enough and shouldn't rub..

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:49 pm 
You should be fine with the 3x10 mech. You still have quite a lot of up and down adjustment on the direct mount (the slot is usually about 25mm long) so just set the position for the biggest ring and then set the stops for the 2x10.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:04 pm 
Oh and your other question about the M676. Looking at the specs, Its got a maximum tooth capacity of 14. Your 36/22 is 14 teeth so my guess is it would be fine, even though it says the bigger ring should be minimum 38t. Your calc says 4mm difference. I'd think you have at least that much play on the mount.

All that said, the only way to find out is to try it, as they are so new I doubt many people will have tried it before!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:40 pm 
phinw wrote:
oh and your other question about the M676. Looking at the specs, Its got a maximum tooth capacity of 14. Your 36/22 is 14 teeth so my guess is it would be fine, even though it says the bigger ring should be minimum 38t. Your calc says 4mm difference. I'd think you have at least that much play on the mount.

All that said, the only way to find out is to try it, as they are so new I doubt many people will have tried it before!

Thanks phinw,

I was surprised that shimano don't do a specific FD in all formats to be honest.

I've asked them and they came back with speak to the frame manufacture which was rubbish.

The M676 can do from 38 to 44 so the lowest position would be for 38t so I'll give it a try and see.

I didn't realise that direct mount is a very new thing to be honest.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:53 pm 
The direct mount is'nt but that particular mech is. When shimano went 10 speed they stuck with triples. They kinda gave in to the market with 2x10 and this mech is (I understand) specifically for the new 2x10 slx where they envisage people running 24/38 or similar hence the 14t jump.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:19 pm 
phinw wrote:
The direct mount is'nt but that particular mech is. When shimano went 10 speed they stuck with triples. They kinda gave in to the market with 2x10 and this mech is (I understand) specifically for the new 2x10 slx where they envisage people running 24/38 or similar hence the 14t jump.

My crankset is shimano 2x9, 36x22 with specific FD and still 14t jump :) weird!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:34 pm 
The SLX crank you have was available as a double from when it was 9 speed and really they are just reconfiguration of the triple with a double + bash. The double also had steel thread insert for the pedals (which wasn't on the triple). I think they kept it when slx went 10 speed for 2012

The new 2013 slx double (which is what the M676 is designed for) looks a bit different: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=83170&gclid=CIWbrvXRybMCFbMbtAodUBYAkw

phew, it's hard to keep up with Shimano and its multiplicty of options / product numbers! :crazy: