Forum

Post subject: Renthal Kevlar grips
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:16 am 
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/rent ... prod153342
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/rent ... prod150069

"The Renthal Lock-On grips feature CNC aluminium locking collars, permanently integrated with the central core, giving the ultimate all-weather security on the handlebar. The integrated construction eliminates any movement between the grip section and the collars, which could otherwise develop over time.

The handlebar grip is your key contact point for controlling your bike. Having a grip suited to your individual demands is hugely important. For this reason Renthal offer a wide range of compounds to suit every rider’s preference.

This Traction grip pattern was designed to give ultimate control in all conditions. The additional mechanical grip of the Traction pattern means that you can retain control, no matter what the weather might throw at you."

So far the last 2-3 years I had been running the standard renthal Kevlar lock on grips but wanted to see what their new traction are like and how they compared. Renthal make all their grips in 5 different compound ranging from medium, soft, super soft, ultra tacky and Kevlar, each one offering a different level of grip, durability and comfort. The Kevlar is more expensive to buy but offers the best mix of all the qualities.

With the standard grips they are universally in design so once an area starts to wear away you could rotate them a bit more to get a bit more grip back (the new traction grips are one way and that's it. There is small arrows to indicate which way they have to be installed in). The standard grip offers very good grip when the weather is good but I have always felt that when it gets wet or muddy my hands will move around a bit more (winter gloves probably does not help either), with the traction grips they are designed with a number of grooves cut in to the design with the standard waffle design in between, they allows there to be a bit more grip and any mud be easily forced off the surface. Is it enough of a difference to warrant the switch? I think so. I would also say because of the grooves there is more material to hold and as it can move a bit there is more comfort on a ride (more dampening on fast chattering trails). With the Kevlar compound the wear rate has been excellent and was surprised that there is no cuts or rips yet (3 months hard use).

The bottom line is the new design is a big improvement over an already good standard product, I'm sure there is other competition out there that offer something similar even if the compound is different. Like other components, grips are a very personal thing. Even so these would be highly recommended.

--------------------------------------
RAF spitfire PEDAL-WORX RACEING

Post subject: Re: Renthal Kevlar grips
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:04 pm 
Interesting.

I have the Kevlar on the Bandit and Bronson and normally hate grips that have the 'groves' as the new Traction ones do.

As you say they last and last and last... the ones on the Bandit have only just gone on - those on the Bronson are 2 years old and going strong.

So not looking like I'll try the new Traction ones for a few more years...

Strava Profile: http://goo.gl/iSl5I

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:22 pm 
Have a feel (of the grips that is) next time we are in the woods. Yer, normally I don't know textured grips or anything that has mixed grip levels but these feel great

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:05 pm 
Nice write up - how would you rate these on a thickness scale .. thin or medium.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:48 am 
I would say the new design is medium with the old design thin. I am normally a small in gloves so for me they felt great