Forum

Post subject: DH Bikes.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:43 pm 
I've had a few hardtails for trail, was wondering what bike would be a good bike to start DH with, thanks, Rob.

--------------------------------------
Soaring in Style.

Post subject: Re: DH Bikes.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:02 pm 
A bike you feel comfortable on ? its a very personal thing

It doesn't matter what you ride

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:06 pm 
Ive just got my first dh rig after months of looking. theres so many to choose from so yes it is definately a personal thing but i think as with anything the main factor is how much you have to spend as this will determine what sort of spec you can get and ultimately what bike. this is the best time of year to pick up a second hand one as they will be at their cheapest, just need to take a look on pinkbike to see how many people are having to drop their asking prices.
in my opinion for your first dh bike you cant go wrong with either a specialized demo, scott voltage or if your lucky enough like me to pick up a canyon torque frx which has top spec for very decent money.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:07 pm 
unityjon wrote:
a bike you feel comfortable on ? its a very personal thing

What he said!

Basically all of the big manufacturers (and most of the small ones too) make very very good bikes, with high levels of tuneability, and all can be set up to ride totally differently depending on what components are on them.

Set yourself a budget, and leave a couple of hundred quid aside. Find a bike which feels nice, with good reviews, that you like the look of. Ride it (hard :lol: ) for a few months, and if you need to swap bits around you'll have a bit of cash spare to buy parts, without selling the old ones first.

In answer to your original question though, I ride a 2010 Devinci Wilson, and I'd thoroughly recommend it! But most people on here would probably recommend what they ride, as we've all been through a couple of bikes before settling down.

Sorry that's vague :D

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:12 pm 
Unless you have shedloads of dosh you may well be limited to secondhand or older bikes..I just went through PinkBike and kept picking ones I liked when i bought my previous frame.

Although I just got a |Commencal DH Supreme v2 (so slightly older), direct from company, they were reduced from £1000 to £500 which was about the price range I was looking at.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:08 pm 
I will visit some local bike shops and have a look around, also, would it be a better bike to buy a new bike every year or so, or to buy one bike and update it every now and then?

Soaring in Style.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:14 pm 
NoLimits wrote:
would it be a better bike to buy a new bike every year or so, or to buy one bike and update it every now and then?

:o :lol:

If you've got a spare 3-5k to buy a new bike each year, then to be honest I don't see why not, but unless you're a sponsored pro it's pretty rare!

Most people settle on a frame and just update/replace parts as and when required. Suspension probably needs to be serviced annually, depending on how much you're riding, but everything else should last for years!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:10 pm 
chris321 wrote:
NoLimits wrote:
would it be a better bike to buy a new bike every year or so, or to buy one bike and update it every now and then?

:o :lol:

If you've got a spare 3-5k to buy a new bike each year, then to be honest I don't see why not, but unless you're a sponsored pro it's pretty rare!

Most people settle on a frame and just update/replace parts as and when required. Suspension probably needs to be serviced annually, depending on how much you're riding, but everything else should last for years!

Okay thanks, i was looking at the Norco Six to start with, is it a good idea?

Soaring in Style.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:22 pm 
Im also looking at norco's but check the recalled list on older models!
and spesh's both have same rear ends!

trees dont move!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:39 pm 
There are so many good DH bikes about, first I think decide on a budget, then have a look about on various sites to spot something you like the look of ( physically) only buy something you love looking at.
Then just ride it!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:39 pm 
Whats your limit?
new or second hand?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:53 pm 
I'm only a teenager and have no income of my own so it will have to be a reasonable price, i was looking at second hand bikes though

Soaring in Style.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:58 pm 
I saw the saracen flare, apparently it is a good bike to start DH, thoughts?

Soaring in Style.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:03 pm 
Riding is the test dude, I would take advantage of this site come on a load of rides with us and try all our bikes out!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:04 pm 
Good idea, ill be riding my hardtail for the time being and try and save up as much as possible, cheers evil :)

Soaring in Style.