Forum

Post subject: Is saint worth the money?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:29 am 
Looking to upgrade the derailleur, shifter and cassette on my 4x bike and was just wondering if the saint stuff (derailleur and shifter) is really worth the price tag or is there something better in that range or cheaper? Read a few reviews but would rather get some thoughts from people that run them and have not be paid to review them by a company?

cheers for any info.

Post subject: Re: Is saint worth the money?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:31 am 
I have saint on my DH bike and it is solid reliable stuff, i don't think the saint specific cassette is necessary you would be better off getting one with a range that suits your needs.

The zee is also good looking kit and i have heard lots of glowing reviews

--------------------------------------
Bike pics
www.pinkbike.com/u/nwmlarge/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:07 am 
Oh yeh wouldnt be getting a saint casette planned on getting a 11-23 Ultegra. Would love a Dura-Ace but a little out of my price range. I am reluctantly going up to 10sp as its the way everything has gone would he happy to stick to my 8sp but its a few years old now and needs replacing after a few crashes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:31 am 
Im a bit of a Saint fan, as mentioned above you can get any cassette really to suit your tastes, the 'old' saint range is 9 speed whereas the new Saint/Zee is 10 speed..I just a bought a 36-12 cassette that suits my need.

I'd say the old range is value for money, but the new range is somewhat more pricey BUT there is the Zee range which is about half the price, Ive got the Zee shifter/derailuer and love it, the shadow plus clutch feature may be a bit gimmicky but it does reduce noice/chain slap.

My brakes are the older chunkier M810 range but work fine and no plans to change em anytime soon.

Andy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:24 am 
I have a mix of new saint and zee.. saint brakes and cranks and zee rear der

The zee stuff is very good. Saint is a bit lighter, and a but better made, but id quite happily run a full Zee bike.

Why not also consider SLX / XT. the current stuff is deffo burly enough for 4x

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:50 pm 
Yeh, been looking at the XT stuff as I have xt brakes on currently and cant fault them. Only thing that makes me lean towards the saint is the super short cage so it stays out the way. Thanks for all the advice though people, guess I will have to do some more reading.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:22 pm 
I recently fitted some SLX cranks, very happy with them. I tend to steer clear of top end components as I have a habit of breaking stuff so I would opt for SLX, I also have a friend who went for SLX over Saint as he flet it didn't have the relevant improvement in quality for the extra money. If this is the same for drive chain I would say SLX but I guess you have to weigh up your personal choice of budget and how hard you expect to use.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:31 pm 
Having used SLX and Saint cranks the saint are miles better in regard to flex but they do weigh marginally more.

on my HT i use a 1 x 9 short cage X9 mech set up to keep it out of the way, much cheaper than any shimano option but not as nice.

Bike pics

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:22 pm 
How the heck do you feel flex in a crank on a full suss bike LOL ? what way do they flex, i cant say its something i've ever considered, could be happening all the time and I'm oblivious to it !

Just started riding a Zee rear with clutch but only had one morning at Danbury on it so cant really comment but it shifts nice now and i get zero chain slap , must try harder....

It doesn't matter what you ride

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:56 pm 
unityjon wrote:
how the heck do you feel flex in a crank on a full suss bike LOL ? what way do they flex, i cant say its something i've ever considered, could be happening all the time and I'm oblivious to it !

Just started riding a Zee rear with clutch but only had one morning at Danbury on it so cant really comment but it shifts nice now and i get zero chain slap , must try harder....

depends on how much you ride one jon, you can see visible deflection in the crank no problem.

Bike pics

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:18 pm 
Always tons of cheap Saint cranks on ebay, often with the paint completley worn but I got mine resprayed and chucked on some decals from Slik > http://www.slikgraphics.com/collections ... s-m810-815.

Dont think Im good enough to notice flexing in cranks either !

Andy