Forum

Post subject: Wheel size??
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:56 pm 
Not really an MTB question but I bought an ebay special Rayleigh Courier (£40 can't go wrong) to use as a commuter, it's pretty heavy rear wheel with the 3 speed hub so was looking at fitting new single speed wheel. Although it says 26 inches on the tyre but it's bigger than an 26 inch mtb wheel and I just about got a 26 inch inner tube on it when I had a flat the other day. I've had a few searches about it online and it seems some of these old bikes have 27 inch wheels so I'm guessing it's that size - any one know if that is right and why has it got 26" on the tyre?

Post subject: Re: Wheel size??
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:10 pm 
If it says 26" on the tyre I'd have to say it must be a 26" wheel or the tyre simply wouldn't fit ?

--------------------------------------
Strava Profile: http://goo.gl/iSl5I

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:03 pm 
There are about 5 26" wheel sizes where the internal diameter of the tyre varies from 559mm to 597mm

Cant remember them all but on is used for small road bikes one was used by Schwin in the 60's and one is used for older bikes. I think 700c has taken over now

Wheels size is measured by the overall diameter of wheel and tyre combined.
I think im right in saying 26" refers to an MTB wheel where the overall diameter of the wheel and tyre combine = 26" where the tyrewall measures 2" There should be another dimension on the tyre that will indicate the wheel size. mine have 52 x 559

If you put a tyre with a smaller side wall on the same rim it would be less than 26". So the rim will be bigger and so would the internal diameter of the tyre to get a 26" wheel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:36 pm 
Surely just measure the rim ?

Bike pics
www.pinkbike.com/u/nwmlarge/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:50 pm 
Came unstuck with this multi-size rims for 26" wheels myself when i bought some 26" x 1.5" tyres for a mate to do a charity nightride in london.The rim fell through the tyre ! Also bought some 26" x 1.25 - 1.75" tubes that also fell over the rims
Remember to measure the rim where the bead of the tyre sits, NOT the outside diameter.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:58 pm 
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Ralei ... 0804411686

This may help with sourcing tyres

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:13 am 
Well, if I had one I'd eat my hat. A 26" wheel that isn't a 26" wheel.

Strava Profile: http://goo.gl/iSl5I

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:05 am 
Perhaps someone got in first and put the wrong sized tire on before you got it?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

It doesn't matter what you ride

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:39 am 
AgentOrange wrote:
There are about 5 26" wheel sizes where the internal diameter of the tyre varies from 559mm to 597mm

Cant remember them all but on is used for small road bikes one was used by Schwin in the 60's and one is used for older bikes. I think 700c has taken over now

Wheels size is measured by the overall diameter of wheel and tyre combined.
I think im right in saying 26" refers to an MTB wheel where the overall diameter of the wheel and tyre combine = 26" where the tyrewall measures 2" There should be another dimension on the tyre that will indicate the wheel size. mine have 52 x 559

If you put a tyre with a smaller side wall on the same rim it would be less than 26". So the rim will be bigger and so would the internal diameter of the tyre to get a 26" wheel

I knew the diamater was including the tyre but didn't realise all mtb tyres are assumed to have 2" side walls to get to 26" - always thought that different tyres would give different effective sized wheels and thought it odd the measurement was made this way and not on the rim.

And yes the in tyre in question there is another number in the format 52 x 559 can't remember it now but looks you've answered my questions; these 26" wheels have less tyre and more rim! Very useful info many thanks. :thumbup: