Forum

Post subject: Rockshox XC30 Forks.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:09 am 
Hi all.

I am looking to get some new forks for my Giant Revel 4, I have been looking at the 100mm Rockshox XC30 forks as they're within my budget, they're meant to perform pretty well and considering i'll only be using my bike for light/medium trails, I think they should hold up quite well.

Has anybody used these forks on their bikes? I understand that they're not the best fork on the market, not for £120 anyway but will they do for what I need?

Thanks guys!

Post subject: Re: Rockshox XC30 Forks.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:34 am 
Buy cheap, buy twice i say. The best advice i could say is don't buy for what you are riding at at the moment but what you are going into.

As a minium i would go for something like a Rock Shox Recon Air Forks. First being air they are lighter and easily set up for your weight and riding style (once you get a bit more conferdent you will be usung more travel). Secondary the cheaper forks just don't have good seals so after a months of winter riding they will be useless at best. Lastly they will be bigger standsion meaning less flex for more control.

I had a set of rock shox toras on my old bike and as a basic fork they were pretty good for the price, just heavy. Either look at second hand fox's and get them serviced by nick at pedel worx

--------------------------------------
RAF spitfire PEDAL-WORX RACEING

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:08 am 
^^ good advice shop around on pinkbike and the like, do some reading on fork reviews from say 2010 and see what was great back then as they'll be super cheap now and still good and after a service like new, Rockshox Sektor are cheap, strong and good and come in coil or air many online shops like merlin have stock going cheap where forks are supplied as OEM equipment and people want to upgrade new bikes, they're good deals when they pop up...

It doesn't matter what you ride

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:40 am 
Thanks for the help guys! I've seen the XC30's on some fairly expensive bike - The Specialized Camber being one of many. Thought they might be okay just on that basis! Will have a browse on Pinkbike now then, thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:31 pm 
Read reviews first on bike radar and the like and get a feel, trouble is with reviews and anything, there is a huge amount of 'personal opinion' that influences whether a product is good or not.

It doesn't matter what you ride

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:25 pm 
Be careful when making a purchase to ensure it fits

measure
steerer diameter (1-1/18, 1.5, 1.5-1-1/8)
steerer length you will need to measure from the top of the crown where it joins the headset to the top of the stem, try to get it within 5mm of that or longer

Bike pics
www.pinkbike.com/u/nwmlarge/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:20 pm 
I have a set of rockshox xc32 forks that came on my giant trance, they were good for me to learn with but the major improvement had from getting fox floats well worth the expense, (and almost a kilo lighter), these are 120mmm and have a tapered steerer, if they will fit your bike then your welcome to have them cheap. if yours hakes a straight steerer then there may be something on the market to make these fit still.

if not then look for a used set of fox floats for around the £180 mark.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:22 pm 
http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/n ... bes-25275/