Forum

Post subject: Pads for newbie?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:08 pm 
I need to buy some pads, dont have a huge budget so am looking at 661 Comps

any good advice out there regarding pads?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/661- ... -prod72483

if i go 661 comps i could get the knee pads also at these prices.

or

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ixs- ... -prod42765

stacked it today and can see me needing something other than a t-shirt

thanks

Post subject: Re: Pads for newbie?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:55 pm 
Good pads for a beginer, but you may find (as many others do), that the hard stiff knee/shin types do get a bit restrictive after a while and some have an annoying habbit of sliding down and leaving your knee completely exposed.

Personally I'd recommend one of the newer flexible d30 types, I love mine > http://www.gravitybikes.co.uk/index.php ... duct_id=58, they are a bit pricey but Ive worn them all day every day in hot alps and you hardly notice them.

Its true they dont cover your shins so if you are worried about slipping off your pedals and getting a bash on your shins then perhaps the ones you listed are ok.

So things worth finding out is will they slip, many hard knee/shin ones dont have good straps/velcro above the knee and slide down far too easy ?, do you want to be slightly restricted/hot in hard plastic ones or is it worth paying a bit more and take advantage of the new d30/sas-tec techonolgies (soft when wearing but hard on impact) ?

Ive got some Race Face d30 elbows but I dont bother wearing them these days.

Andy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:05 pm 
Dont think im too worried about the knees to be honest as more often than not the handle bars/arms should hit the ground first.

Im looking to learn jumps and have a feeling ill spend most of the time picking myself up off the floor, maybe ill invest in a good set of elbows like youve suggested and get the knee later.

At the moment the protection is amounting to more than my bikes worth but since we are the mot important part of the whole procedure its worth doing right.

Thanks for getting back to me

Lem

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:57 pm 
Odd... Coz most people go for knee first as thats often the point that hits and a big tear of flesh there is not too pleasant. Knees, full face and maybe gloves are the norm these days.

Im certainly no expert but id recommend just riding lots for fun before spending hours practising jumps, places like Danbury are great, i used to barely leave the ground but do the runs faster and faster and youll find yourself getting air, higher and higher, spending too long on jumps is a recipe for broken bones, only my opinion though.

Just build up speed n confidence and you wont need tons of body armour.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:04 am 
I spend most weekends in High Beach, found a spot thats down hill with insane tree roots everywhere got some serious air but also hit a tree sideways which wasnt pleasant but lucky i managed to get the breaks on before the hit.

Interested in trying Danbury as its mentioned allot here and my full face came in the post last week along with my gloves.

Your right about confidence week on week im pushing myself and finding better lines, might go somewhere when theres a meet on here so i can pick up some tips.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:21 pm 
I second the knee pads first. Personally I wear a knee and shin combo, gloves and a full face. Would seriously recommend knee pads over elbow pads as a knee to a stem is very painful. Im using these nukeproof knee and elbow pads right now http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nukeproof-critical-armour-knee-shin/rp-prod68524 and they have saved me more than once.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:11 pm 
Knee pads first dude

--------------------------------------
Stay loose