Forum

Post subject: Leattt neck braces are they needed??
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:00 pm 
Been on my mind the last few rides and im thinking about getting this one below the new leatt dbx 5.5. Anyone here use them and if so are they worth the money as they are not exactly cheap?

The one thing holding me back is do I actually need one im obviously no Sam Hill just your average rider who rides 4x and bmx so are they just over kill...

Post subject: Re: leattt neck braces are they needed??
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:08 pm 
I'm a recent convert. They divide opinion (some people even say they could make an injury worse), but personally I feel safer with mine on, and wouldn't ride DH or 4X without it.

I'm no Sam Hill either, but I crashed at Aston Hill at the start of the year (actually due to going over a drop too slowly), the bike smacked me in the back of the head, my head was forced way further forward that it should go, and I couldn't move my neck for about 2 weeks. If I'd been wearing a neck brace I'd have probably just had a small bruise on my chest.

I've got the Comp 4, and really can't fault it. Spend a while setting them up properly and you'll hardly notice you're wearing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:26 am 
Blimey I thought they were designed to stop your head going backwards and prevent whip lash or neck injury your head should be able to go all the way forward till your chin his your chest add thats the natural way for you spine to curve, but not backwards ? Every day is a school day !

Sent from my GT-I9505

--------------------------------------
It doesn't matter what you ride

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:41 am 
Sorry, didn't articulate very well as was half thinking and half waiting for GTA V to install :D

If you put your head all the way forwards (so your chin in on your chest) and then imagine a heavy bike ploughing into the top of the back or your head, you'll get the idea. You head sort of rotates around your chin, and you can feel things in your neck stretching that I'm pretty sure shouldn't stretch.

Here's Leatt's diagram showing all the different ways you can screw up :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:46 am 
Thanks for the info. i think im pretty sold and will be picking one up in the next month or so. What helmet are you running with your leatt? I currently have a down o matic and always read about people commenting on the fit regarding different helmets that some work better than others.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:57 am 
Good stuff...

It doesn't matter what you ride

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:59 am 
Having landed on my head a few times with helmet and neck brace on I would recommend getting one for DH. Although there does seem to be some sort of ill thought out criticism of those that do wear neck braces...... apparently its not cool.

In my opinion its defo more important to be able to walk and stuff than be cool so I always wear my EVS one. (Half the price of a Leatt brace!)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:32 pm 
Totally depends how hard and fast you might land on your face. if you think the chances are high and you have the dollar you should probably buy one

Stay loose

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:30 pm 
..and they stop your head coming clean off :)

Personally I think they are a bit overkill, as for coolness..I thought they were the ultimate cool accessory, especially if you ride around with just helmet/neck brace and nothing else :)

I was surprised how many of the stereotypes in the video I saw in Morzine..i.e..guys with Reebok trainers, jeans and tight full body armour over the top of clothes.