Forum

Post subject: Bottom bracket stuck!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:02 pm 
I've got the 'cap' side out but can't undo the other side (with the spindle attached)... tried a new tool as the teeth on the old one where getting a bit worn and tried a bit of WD40 but no luck yet. :thumbdown:

Gonna give it a good soak in WD40, try and attach the tool with bolt crank bolt & large washer / somehow and have one last go - anyone have any other tips?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:30 pm 
Remember its left hand thread ;)

www.pedal-worx.co.uk

--------------------------------------
Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

Post subject: Re: Bottom bracket stuck!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:41 am 
I assume it's a HollowTech II or GXP BB? Just do as VW pointed out. If it's been done up too tight then a breaker bar on a decent BB tool usually gets the cups out. Otherwise a good soaking with Plusgas would be better the WD40. Remember to clean up the BB shell and threads when you do get the thing out.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:14 pm 
I gave OTB one a small tap with hammer loosed the thread up as was crap in there. Octalink

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:52 pm 
Mines died but no funds until the missies full paycheck next month :(

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:46 pm 
Madasnibbor wrote:
Mines died but no funds until the missies full paycheck next month :(

My raceface type x has also packed in!,13 months old & 2,500 miles later so not to bad ;)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:14 pm 
If you have a Hollowtech II (and probably most other external cup type BB's) you can ignore the 'do not dismantle' warning (Shimano) and with a little effort replace the bearings. I've done it on my XTR BB for £4 and they've been ok for about 3 months. The XT and lower end BB's are easier to source bearings for as they use 7mm wide ones as opposed the 6mm ones in the XTR BB's (need to mod the plastic sleeve slightly).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:56 pm 
Never done that but it always looked easy enough, where do you get the bearings?

www.pedal-worx.co.uk

--------------------------------------
Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:47 pm 
Think I used these: http://www.akbearings.co.uk/product.asp?P_ID=680 Figured buying cheap to test out whether it was possible.
Apparently you can use http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/14 ... ms148.html to shim the bearing to 25mm. The bearing you should use is a 6805N (narrow 24x37x6mm) but only Shimano and Enduro do them), so you can use a standard 6805-2RS (61805-2RS in long code) and remove the 1mm spacing lip from the inside of the shim that you pop off the outside of the bearing cups.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:11 am 
I'm planning on getting the superstar one with 5yr warranty. I like a bit of fit and forget :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:11 am 
Hhhmm... Superstar stuff whilst very good is known for using cheap bearings in their stuff so not sure id buy one of their BB's . I had to change a set if wheel bearings after one admittadly mucky week in Morzine but wheels stayed strong n true.

Just fitted push in BB to my new frame, supposed to use a press I guess but you cant beat block if wood n big hammer :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:21 am 
Bearings are always going to be bad as they have to keep cost down although I've had no issues :)
5yr warranty. Although I generally don't notice issues until a part dies. Currently my jockey wheels are like sharks teeth but still work :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:58 pm 
Superstar won't warranty the bearings, they always say it's fair wear and tear, so if the cups are fine and the bearing replaceable and they do them in the correct bling colour then I'd say they're ok, just replace the bearings after a month.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:32 pm 
£22.50 for the roller bearing one :) red so I'll be red white and blue :)