Forum

Post subject: Wrist Pain
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:46 am 
Hi,

New to this MTB lark.

Took my new bike out for first run yesterday, seem to get a lot of pressure through palms and into wrists. Killing after an hour, wondered if this is to do with stem set up or maybe just comfier grips?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Wrist Pain
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:52 am 
Relax ;-)
Maybe your using the death grip.
Look how you set-up leavers and brakes over rotation.

Finger tips, hand to wrist should be a straight line.

Last edited by Laser on Mon May 12, 2014 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:59 am 
http://youtu.be/VTVoom62TaI

^Setup leavers

MTBtips 8-)

(post from phone)

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:10 pm 
Brilliant thanks, will look at my setup.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:54 pm 
Id second the above hints, Ive not noticed any probs whilst riding locally but on the 5 mins + runs in the Alps you certainly can get knackered wrists/arms due to the length/steepness/braking and braking bumps of the runs, changes I made were to make sure brakes levers are in correct position, ie,. arm/wrist should be straight and one finger braking should be in correct position, I also swapped to some ODI Rouge grips (http://www.singletrackbikes.co.uk/m7b38 ... wwodJWEAQg), quite thickish and softish, really soaked up braking bumps and hardly any wear over 2 years later trips to Alps, local rides, etc

You can alos adjust forks compression settings and/or softer spring/air which can soak up bumps but as mentioned its more likely levers in wrong position.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:49 am 
Well done Jake! :mrgreen: , good tips is that!

Last edited by Simon on Tue May 13, 2014 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:34 pm 
Once you've done sorting out the bike try some strength/stability exercises. Better core strength and stability will reduce pressure and load on one bit of your body. It doesn't take a lot it sharpen the muscles we all use for riding and all you need is body weight

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:18 pm 
I also have Ritchey WCS Truegrip Ergo Locking Foam Grips but try your setup first

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:17 pm 
ggg wrote:
Once you've done sorting out the bike try some strength/stability exercises. Better core strength and stability will reduce pressure and load on one bit of your body. It doesn't take a lot it sharpen the muscles we all use for riding and all you need is body weight

Spot on advise mate! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:06 pm 
All these are top tips another is look at you seat position you might be sitting a bit forward putting extra weight on your wrists :)

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:55 am 
Again many thanks for all the really helpful advice - i'm adjusting my brake levers tonight and will look at seated position. I already do quite a bit of other exercise around core strengthening really helped my running and should be good for my biking also.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:49 pm 
I know it always feels weird talking about training for riding but having spent years spannering myself first skating and then riding proper exercises have really helped me keep going feeling good and fixing the niggles that plague us all. I'm the wrong side of 35 now but I've been lucky to work with some great physyo's and sports specific trainers. For wrists, arms and shoulders press ups off balls always made the biggest diffrence. One ball or two it doesn't matter both hands at the same time or under one arm at a time has really helped as the stability muscles are really pushed.
You can take it or leave it but the older I've got the more it's helped so I just thought I'd share...