Forum

Post subject: Good Handle Bars for HardTail bike
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:28 pm 
What is a good handle bars for a hardtail bike? Can I put any handle bars I want or there is a specif one for it? I was thinking to get this one

2014 Renthal fatbar light - 740mm wide I think they're a 20mm rise. Since is similar/kind similar to the one i use on my full suspension.

The hardtail bike is a Specialized HardRock 2014 29 wheels.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Good Handle Bars for HardTail bike
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:47 pm 
Really depends on how you want the bike to feel and how/what you ride.

If you are bashing it about through the woods and generally having fun then the fatbars are spot on the money (and what I have) where if you are looking for a fast cross country bike then you may want something a bit narrower...

On my hardtail & full sus I have fatbars (or will have) on the cross country I have flat bars that are way narrower...

Best bet is to ride a mates if you can before buying ;)

--------------------------------------
Strava Profile: http://goo.gl/iSl5I

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:54 pm 
First things first, why do you want to change your handle bars? Is it the width or height or weight or just not comforable ect

Had a quick look on the spec of the standard bar (Specialized flat bar, alloy, 640mm/660mm wide, 8-degree backsweep, 4-degree upsweep, 25.4mm). You may have to change the stem as well as the most hand bars have an over sized clamping area of 31.8mm yours are 25.4mm

RAF spitfire PEDAL-WORX RACEING

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:07 pm 
stumpie wrote:
Really depends on how you want the bike to feel and how/what you ride.

If you are bashing it about through the woods and generally having fun then the fatbars are spot on the money (and what I have) where if you are looking for a fast cross country bike then you may want something a bit narrower...

On my hardtail & full sus I have fatbars (or will have) on the cross country I have flat bars that are way narrower...

Best bet is to ride a mates if you can before buying ;)

Well I think going through the woods and generally having fun, but as you said now might look for the fast cross country! hahaha

Mattvanders wrote:
First things first, why do you want to change your handle bars? Is it the width or height or weight or just not comforable ect

Had a quick look on the spec of the standard bar (Specialized flat bar, alloy, 640mm/660mm wide, 8-degree backsweep, 4-degree upsweep, 25.4mm). You may have to change the stem as well as the most hand bars have an over sized clamping area of 31.8mm yours are 25.4mm

Just feels like I dont have the control of the bike, feels really small after I ride on my full suspension, the one on my full suspension because is bigger I feel more comfortable, before buying my full suspension I though the handle bars was alright but now It just doesnt feels good!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:34 am 
Over the past year or so i have been trying different bar set ups on both my bikes (at the moment i am running Renthal fatbar light with 20mm rise on the stache), 740mm width is perfect xc/trail riding with 760mm width for anything more aggressive, anything more and its too much of a handfull in woods. Just to warn you with 29ers and bar set up, lots of people run flatbars and even inverted stems to lower the front because of the larger wheel #(to stop the front lifting on climbing) but personly i have never found this a problem (infact i raised my stem up as i found it uncomfortable for my back being hunched over). With the wider bars you will be able to have a shorter stem as well to had more control and converdence.

RAF spitfire PEDAL-WORX RACEING

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:13 am 
Hmm I think I will buy this one them and try out! Thanks for all advices!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:39 pm 
Run the Fat Bar Lites 20mm rise , 740mm spot on for my riding style!, ( do fancy the carbon ones) :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:04 pm 
Shame that I sold it yesterday! :p But i will be looking to buy a hybrid one soon! Thanks for all the advises anyway guys!