Forum

Post subject: Buy New or Used Full suspesion bike?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:05 am 
Hello guys,

I was wondering, if is better to buy a used full suspension bike or buy a brand new from the shop, I was looking round and there is some good prices for the used one and to be honest I don't have the money right now to buy a new one, so what you guys suggest me? Buy a used one or wait and buy a new one from the shop?

Many thanks

Jefferson

Post subject: Re: Buy New or Used Full suspesion bike?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:32 am 
It is always going to be ultimately better to buy a new bike.

If you are asking how to maximise your budget then buying secondhand offers more spec for your money for the most part but offset by potential faults and lack of warranty

--------------------------------------
Bike pics
www.pinkbike.com/u/nwmlarge/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:08 am 
nwmlarge wrote:
it is always going to be ultimately better to buy a new bike.

If you are asking how to maximise your budget then buying secondhand offers more spec for your money for the most part but offset by potential faults and lack of warranty

True, this is exactly what I was thinking!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:28 am 
There are some stonking second hand bikes about right now - problem is how much action they've seen before you get your hands on one...

Upside is parts are relatively cheep and I'd always suggest getting as decent a standard spec bike as you can - where if you go with a cheaper new bike the costs of upgrading it can be more than the bike...

Strava Profile: http://goo.gl/iSl5I

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:28 am 
I generally go for a budget where i can afford to replace a few bits.

Bike pics

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:32 am 
I would say if you know a lot about bikes ,buy second hand you'd get a better deal.
But on the other hand if your not as knowledgable I would go to a bike shop.. Not Halfrauds.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
A good independent shop would be best in my opinion.. :thumbup:
Or another way to go is second hand frame and all new parts..!! ( it's easier to check a bare frame )

Stay on target...!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:37 am 
Thanks for all the replys guys! Yeah I don't understand much about bikes! Not yet! Anyway I'm really considering to buy this one http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1658853/what you guys think? Good bike? Good price? Thanks for all the help!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:40 am 
It is a good price for the bike, i would prefer single crown forks on a bike of that nature, its more of a freeride bike than a dh bike

Bike pics

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:43 am 
Whats your budget? After just a downhill bike? Bike technogy change so fast now days so i would not buy anything older than 3 years old.

RAF spitfire PEDAL-WORX RACEING

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:49 am 
My budget at the moment I would say is max £700 and I'm looking for a dh bike so I can jump and everything! This is why I was considering buy a new one cos then I can pay monthly since I haven't got money at the moment!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:45 pm 
If your budget is £700 and you are looking for a DH bike then you can wave goodbye to new as you simply wont get a full bike for that money, maybe an (oldish) frame if you are lucky.

Most DH frames new are at least £2000 but you can get some good deals, I got my Commencal FR from the company direct half price for £1000 and spent about another £1000 on the rest.

I certainly dont mind buying 2nd hand bits (Ive also built my bikes up instead of buying a full bike)

My views are:-

Frame :- Plenty of great deals on frames, unless they have cracks, then there is little to go wrong on a second hand frame, pivot bearing are cheap to replace.

Forks - Lots of good deals out there but try to buy newish or a fork you can see first, old knackered forks are no good to anyone unless you want to service them yourself, companies that service forks can be a bit pricey

Wheels. Again, can be a bit knackered or buckled, but plenty of good example out theres, bearings are normally easy to replace but Id suggest get a wheel with sealed bearings not the loose type.

Discs/BB/Headset, etc buy these new, plenty of great offers at places like Superstar.

Bars/Cranks. can be pricey new (especially cranks). Cranks can sometimes be hundreds but you can get for example some pretty scratched up saints for 30-40 quid, give em a quick spray n new decals from Slik Graphics..good as new.

As mentioneda bove, unless you going to do some serious Downhill/Alpine action triple clamp forks are a bit OTT, youl be knackered on general riding and unless you are hitting real big jumps, it wont jump that easy.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:11 pm 
andydd wrote:
If your budget is £700 and you are looking for a DH bike then you can wave goodbye to new as you simply wont get a full bike for that money, maybe an (oldish) frame if you are lucky.

Most DH frames new are at least £2000 but you can get some good deals, I got my Commencal FR from the company direct half price for £1000 and spent about another £1000 on the rest.

I certainly dont mind buying 2nd hand bits (Ive also built my bikes up instead of buying a full bike)

My views are:-

Frame :- Plenty of great deals on frames, unless they have cracks, then there is little to go wrong on a second hand frame, pivot bearing are cheap to replace.

Forks - Lots of good deals out there but try to buy newish or a fork you can see first, old knackered forks are no good to anyone unless you want to service them yourself, companies that service forks can be a bit pricey

Wheels. Again, can be a bit knackered or buckled, but plenty of good example out theres, bearings are normally easy to replace but Id suggest get a wheel with sealed bearings not the loose type.

Discs/BB/Headset, etc buy these new, plenty of great offers at places like Superstar.

Bars/Cranks. can be pricey new (especially cranks). Cranks can sometimes be hundreds but you can get for example some pretty scratched up saints for 30-40 quid, give em a quick spray n new decals from Slik Graphics..good as new.

As mentioneda bove, unless you going to do some serious Downhill/Alpine action triple clamp forks are a bit OTT, youl be knackered on general riding and unless you are hitting real big jumps, it wont jump that easy.

Thank you for everything! You guys has open my mind so much for what I want to do now! And for taking your time to help me out! I think for now I will stick with a low budget bike and maybe next/ 2 years I will get a really good one, I just want to learn first everything before buy a expensive one and upgrades! I was thinking about this one as well what you guys think? http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1650000/