Forum

Post subject: Travelling to Canada
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:31 pm 
Looking for advice for travelling with my bike... not sure what I need to think about...

1: Insurance
- I assume I need to make sure I am insured to ride
- Have theft/damage insurance
- Anything else?

2: Storage & Transport
- I have an Evoc bag that I have never used..
- Anything else?

3: Maintenance
- I can travel with a light tool kit
- I can buy tyres there if needed
- Wheels are tubeless but can pack a tube or two
- Cleaning/lub products can be packed
- Anything else?

4: Anything else that I can't think about?

If anybody can recommend an insurance company that would be great.

I've also watched the trail doctors video on packing your bike and that all seemed to make sense - http://www.epictv.com/media/podcast/how-to-pack-your-bike-for-a-flight---adventure-%7C-trail-doctor-/601010

--------------------------------------
Strava Profile: http://goo.gl/iSl5I

Post subject: Re: Travelling to Canada
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:43 pm 
I went to Las Vegas in Feb and took my bike (was free with Virgin :) ).

I've got a nice padded CRC bag which I've used to go to Alps, etc. but the trouble is that whilst the limit on Easy Jet to Geneva is 32 kg, the limit on Virgin was 23kg, my Commencal bike is about 16kg, and the CRC bag is about 5kg so that would put me over the limit once youve put in a few tools and helmet, it can help to wear heavy shoes like Five Tens, etc.

So I used my old bag which is a thinish affair with no padding but weighs very little, for the journey out I took apart the rear triangle and wrapped the whole frame in bubble wrap, then put the wheels in using the CRC wheel bags, i put some heavy stuff like the rear shock and some other bits in my main luggage.

I also bought some bits over there, Bell 2R helmet and Marzocchi forks from Jensen and had them shipped to place I was staying (but of course I had to still bring them back, my bag was a smidgen under 23kg on way back).

Whether you need to take tools, etc depends on where you are staying and how remote it is, I bought a few bits out there (including gas gun cartridges which you cant take on plane). Central Las Vegas had some bike shops but not that great, but Boulder City had a great well stocked shop..its got amazing trails and uplifts, etc).

I suspect Canada might be a bit pricey for parts ? (I've heard Whistler is), it might be like Morzine which has a bit of a captive audience and the prices are jacked up a bit ?).

As for insurance I used DogTag both in France and in US, but you'll need to declare whether you are doing general trail riding or Downhill..the prices increase for DH not surprisingly. Ive heard good things about Snowcard too and they can cover your bike for loss, theft too...most companies say they'll cover £2000 or so but that's a total not a single item !, so need to read the small print.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:15 pm 
I've got a bag you can borrow stumpie but only been to the Alps that was 32kg limit. I used to wrap my pads around the frame

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:39 pm 
I'll checkout Dog Tag Andy and look at the small print :)

And I've a decent EVOC bag Adam, by put thanks :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:39 am 
There was a discussion a while back on Hadleigh mtb fb page about insurance, it turns out snow card are based in Hadleigh, Chris approached them about getting s discount but alas it wasn't happening, they are competitive for a week but more than that n the price rises.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:29 am 
Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk