Forum

Post subject: Carbon 650b full suss enduro frame
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:41 am 
I'm shopping around for a carbon 650b full suss frame. (All Mountain / Enduro)
Ideally I would like a Spesh Enduro, but I can't get Spesh to either drop the price or sell me a frame minus the command post and rear shock (which I already have).

I know that I would have to ensure all my components fit a new frame, but if you were shopping for a new AM frame, which frame would you be looking at? And can you get just the frame without rear shock? (I've just snagged a CC DB Inline CS from eBay for crazy good money).

I guess the most critical aspect of this would be choosing a frame with the correct stem length so I could continue to use my Pike 160mm travel fork? I would not want to be buying a new fork!

My wheels are 142x12 rear and 15 front.
BB is press fit.
Everything else is reasonable standard.

--------------------------------------
Specialized Enduro Comp 2015

Post subject: Re: Carbon 650b full suss enduro frame
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:00 am 
MyNameIsDave wrote:
I guess the most critical aspect of this would be choosing a frame with the correct stem length so I could continue to use my Pike 160mm travel fork? I would not want to be buying a new fork!

I guess you are meaning that the fork it tapered, in all honesty this is not a problem as 90% are set up as tapered (1.5" lower, 1. 1/8" upper). Even if it comes with a 1.5" straight headtube, all you need to do is get the right headset to suit (even a angle adjuster headset could be an option).

As for frames, the biggest thing you have missed off, budget!

Worth going to a decent trail center (afan/llandegla/ect) to hire a few bikes to see what you like, they normally stock santa cruz, yeti, ibis ect

RAF spitfire PEDAL-WORX RACEING

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:39 pm 
Thanks. I didn't mean taper (but had not considered that so thanks for pointing it out), I meant the length. I have two spacers then the stem. I was thinking that if a different frame had a longer head tube, I may not have enough sticking out of the top for spacers, stem etc.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:34 pm 
And shock length, not all are the same. You can get offset bushes that will give a small amount of leeway, but remember to check that as well as everything else.

GIANT TRANCE X 29er
BIRD AERIS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:10 pm 
Enduro is a good call, I'd also be looking on places like pinkpike for used as well as new bikes such as Bronson/Nomad, YT Capra, Yeti SB6C, Ibis HD3, Mondraker Dune, Think the evil uprising has gone 650b this year too.

Right now I'm sure not all bike companies have released their 2016 bikes and there will be other models that will release carbon versions this year so if you can hold off a couple of months you will have a larger selection to choose from.

I wouldn't make press fit BB a deal breaker, a new bottom bracket wont break the bank if your splashing out on a new carbon frame.

Head length is listed in most geometry charts so you should be able compare your current bikes with its replacment before you seal the deal.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:07 pm 
What / where do you plan to ride you planned new bike?

finding a bike that suits what you want to do / your style is the main thing, there isn't any point having 160mm and 65 degree if it is never going ot leave Essex for example, assuming you want an endure bike lest assume it will visit Wales and Scotland etc.

Mattvanders is the one of the best people to talk to about bike fit and normal he will help out if beer is supplied ;). but in the mean time you need to look at the reach of a bike first, then consider head angle, seat tube angle and top tub length, and of course stem length. go sit on a few good bikes that are "enduro" and see what feels wright to you, then compare different the angles etc to see if other bikes you cant just site on would suit you.

have you looked to see if Canyon are selling and Strive CF Fames ? I have just got a Race medium frame and I am just under 6ft, it very good and weighs in at 12.8 KG. The Alloy banchi Spitfire is also a good bike that I have ridden a few times, some members here have them so I would be easy to get a chance to look at one up close, see how the angles suit you etc. yeti the SB5/6 are also good bikes that I have ridden.

once you have done all of then then see if you parts will fit. the only thing I would assume you would have to change is the BB and as already said, it a small cost when trying to find the wright bike.

Canyon Strive CF

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:51 pm 
I've been riding my Spesh Enduro for nearly a year. Just wanting to swap the frame to carbon. Disappointed that Spesh will only sell me one with the dropper and the rear shock (items I already have).

I could sell the shock and dropper I suppose. Also, was thinking I could offset the cost by selling my alloy frame. Ie, just leaving me with the mechanics of a frame swap.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:50 am 
If you like the bike but just want to reduce weight, then go fit. sell the alloy frame with the old shock etc.

Canyon Strive CF

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:46 am 
If all you wanted to do was save weight, what is the spec sheet of your current bike? Could spash out on some carbon wheels (remembering that sprung weight has upto 5 times effect of un sprung weight eg looks 200g off the wheels and it will feel more like 1000g if it was removed the frame). Secondary, do you really need a lighter bike or would a good training day not get you quicker? More than happy to take people out for "back to basics" how to ride faster ect

Nothing makes a lighter ride than a lighter wallet...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:16 am 
Mattvanders wrote:

Nothing makes a lighter ride than a lighter wallet...

Worked for me, did you see me strava reports form last night :thumbup:

Canyon Strive CF

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:50 am 
HVAC MATT wrote:
Worked for me, did you see me strava reports form last night :thumbup:

Yer did see, a lighter, longer reach, more stable bike is brilliant at speed. I know what i am taking about :ugeek: well some of the time

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:15 pm 
Lol I've nearly changed every component of the bike! I should have got the carbon to start with, but that is hind sight speaking.

My upgrades made during this year are;

Shimano M785 brakes (after I smashed the originals at Bedgebury)
Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs
Stans Flow rims, tubeless tyres.
Renthal Carbon bar
Renthal Stem
SRAM X1 Groupset (But retained the x1000 crank so not the carbon crank)
Cane Creek DB Inline CS rear shock

Lol, the only thing left to change is the frame !!

I'm the first to admit that my riding skills are pretty poor and yes, I would love some tuition to make my skills better, but I just love tinkering and upgrading and I really dig the look of the carbon frames. It's not something I need right now, but I am sure in time I will end up getting one.

It might well be worth me waiting for the 2016 Spesh Enduro frame to hit the shops, the ones they are currently selling are the 2015 version.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:32 pm 
http://www.yishunbike.com/275er-plus-fu ... -1355.html

Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:06 pm 
Here we go, the carbon pimp at work...