Forum

Post subject: Re: Site thoughts
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:03 pm 
Fully agree with Nigel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:52 am 
Interesting feedback chaps. Thanks for the views. I will of course do what I think is best as I always do :lol: . The site wouldn’t be running like it is now if id acted on eeeveryone’s thoughts. I do however try to cater for the consensus where possible.

There is no intention for this site to grow massively, but simply to be a fun place to hang out, and get some good riding locally. From my perspective it also has to be reliable, flexible, low maintaince, and not create costs to me in time or money. All decisions have been and will be made with those factors in mind.

Last week’s Exmoor trip took shape in this board and pulled together a bunch who hadn’t all ridden together before. Everyone ( i think) had a wicked time and that’s what its all about.

Thanks for the offer of free hosting Eccles. Its very kind :thumbup: But for those who think it’s sensible option consider this...

The risk of moving from a world class paid for 24/7 supported host, who are contractually obliged to provide me near 100% uptime / get back to me 24hours a day on issues / run the latest versions of software / network equipment / and who I can kick in the balls if they don’t do what i want them to do etc etc......... to some one kindly helping out but under no obligation to provide a service at all..... is huge. That’s not casting any aspersions on Eccles hosting set up but no contract / agreed service provision = huge risk.

Incidentally... I found out about the current host through an ad...lol... and they have been superb!

Cheers all!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:06 pm 
Fair enough! If you paid the £3 a month that's charged where I work you'd also have a contract, UK support, latest stuff and me to look after your server :) (together with a bunch of other people).
My mates hosting isn't quite as good as this though as he only runs it as a small time affair so obviously if hosting was free then he wouldn't give you money if something went wrong! Still, if it works then why change. Would be nice to generate a little bit of revenue to pay your bills though and the hosting for this site can't cost too much.
If you ever need domain stuff then I may also be able to help there (good prices maybe).
I think someone suggested adding a little bit to the clothing costs (will get on to sorting that soon I promise, now I moved into my new house) to help pay for the site. Seems like a good idea.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:46 pm 
This is getting off the subject slightly, if it hasn't been mentioned before? How about adding a technical/how to forum members can add and describe how they changed/added/improved their rides, certain subjects can be made sticky so you can go straight to an item i.e. How to change forks etc and of course members can post problems and get help. I know this is probably mixed in with the chat forum but this will be a dedicated forum for such like.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:47 pm 
Talking out on the trails to day about advertising, and quite obviously there are opposing thoughtson this. Personally I feel Jon has the right to do whatever he feels/needs to do as its his site. However if he/you Jon want the input from the forum I suggest having a simple yes/no voting button and the majority will be the decision.

Edit - Are you bored/tired of the same ol thing in your life and do you have a few hours free on a saturday evening

Well dont despair you are just one click away from -

Steviesaturdayeveswingersparty.co.uk

:lol: :clap: :wave: :geek: ;) :roll: :clap:

--------------------------------------
Its easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:59 pm 
ninja wrote:

Edit - Are you bored/tired of the same ol thing in your life and do you have a few hours free on a saturday evening

Well dont despair you are just one click away from -

Steviesaturdayeveswingersparty.co.uk

:lol: :clap: :wave: :geek: ;) :roll: :clap:

lol!

Yeh, I think a poll is a good idea!

--------------------------------------
http:www.ttspersonaltraining.co.uk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:06 pm 
Hey , i read these posts the other day & when i went to pick my bike up i mentioned the site to les ( of les's cycles) he seemed quite interested & gave me an email address to contact him if you guys are interested? might help the site with a sponsor & help the shop with advertising , win win!! ......

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:33 pm 
Please keep the news thingy on the front page. I love this function and use it most days.