Forum

Post subject: Commuters please check this out - HGV Blind spot
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:11 pm 
This is scary and surprising

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzL0Kyk4m-8

Post subject: Re: Commuters please check this out - HGV Blind spot
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:21 pm 
I knew it was bad but never that bad, but its exactly why I never go up the side of busses or HVS when im cycling on the road. If cars struggle to see cyclist what chance is there of a massive bus or hgv.

Post subject: Commuters please check this out - HGV Blind spot
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:33 pm 
OMG that's bad.... I never undertake lorries.. Car drivers are just as bad sometimes... But going down the outside of a queue of cars into oncoming cars and busses and lorries is also scary

Always have my high viz coat of invisibility on when riding on the roads..

--------------------------------------
Whyte G-160RS
YETI SB95A

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:37 pm 
That's crazy. Badly adjusted mirror though it's looking at the side of the truck too much.

Bike pics
www.pinkbike.com/u/nwmlarge/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:04 pm 
The mirror is fine, dont forget the trailer is at an angle so it looks like its in the wrong position
easiest thing to do is hang back on any large vehicle and wait for it to pull away or turn, then you wont get squished

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:08 pm 
nwmlarge wrote:
That's crazy. Badly adjusted mirror though it's looking at the side of the truck too much.

The sitiation is set up for the lorry turning left, which is responsible for the majority of cycling fatalities on the road.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:32 pm 
I drive HGVs and whenever i get a spare second I'm at danbury with my bike. As people have mentioned the mirror is fine its the fact the lorry is turning which points the mirrors inward. I drive the all over the south of the country and this happens every single day to me. As a very keen mtber/biker and HGV driver i am very aware of some cyclists and motorbikes not giving me the 5 ish seconds it would take for me to get round a corner, when its my right of way! Truth is your mirrors should be checked every 3 seconds in HGV so you should have seen anything coming up your inside before you start to turn. It doesnt always happen this way i know, its not a perfect world we live in. Rant over, i will now go back to cursing dickhead cyclists trying to push past lorries and thinking i can ride like danny hart!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:22 am 
Having looked again that makes more sense

cyclists should never be in that position
if i think there is a chance a lorry will turn like that i get on the other side of it

Bike pics

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:56 am 
Ii wouldn't, that's another blind spot and you risk getting clipped by the overhang of the trailer, just wait behind till its out of the way

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:00 am 
matttuk1 wrote:
I drive HGVs and whenever i get a spare second I'm at danbury with my bike. As people have mentioned the mirror is fine its the fact the lorry is turning which points the mirrors inward. I drive the all over the south of the country and this happens every single day to me. As a very keen mtber/biker and HGV driver i am very aware of some cyclists and motorbikes not giving me the 5 ish seconds it would take for me to get round a corner, when its my right of way! Truth is your mirrors should be checked every 3 seconds in HGV so you should have seen anything coming up your inside before you start to turn. It doesnt always happen this way i know, its not a perfect world we live in. Rant over, i will now go back to cursing dickhead cyclists trying to push past lorries and thinking i can ride like danny hart!

I second that. The best advice advice, as said is to just wait and let us go. I guarantee that an HGV will win every time against a cyclist in a fight. Having said that, they win against cars as well, as I've proved many times! People get out of their cars and say "Didn't you see me?!?" and I reply "Yes, but you drive like a pr#€k and deserve to get your car smashed up."

Rumblefish Elite 29er
Specialized P1AM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:58 am 
pyro_maniac wrote:
Ii wouldn't, that's another blind spot and you risk getting clipped by the overhang of the trailer, just wait behind till its out of the way

:D i'm not playing games when i'm cycling i'll be past him in just over 1second

Bike pics

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:15 pm 
It would take less then a second to clip you, hang back just to be safe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:40 pm 
nwmlarge wrote:
pyro_maniac wrote:

:D i'm not playing games when i'm cycling i'll be past him in just over 1second

I've seen a vid of a Chinese guy on a bike who prob thought the same while cycling past a bus. He was under the front wheel, still alive after being dragged 30m down the road, wrapped round the wheel. He prob lived for about 2 minutes more and then died. Happens every day. To someone else.

Rumblefish Elite 29er
Specialized P1AM

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:00 pm 
Quote:
I've seen a vid of a Chinese guy on a bike who prob thought the same while cycling past a bus. He was under the front wheel, still alive after being dragged 30m down the road, wrapped round the wheel. He prob lived for about 2 minutes more and then died. Happens every day. To someone else.

saw this happen to a guy in Paris. some pretty gory sh*t...

Last edited by coney on Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:41 pm 
I ride about 25 miles through central every day and the amount of people who shouldnt be anywhere near a bike is pretty alarming, often whith all the saftey gear but absolutly no road awarness, as if a yellow jacket is a safty talisman.

There are many variatys of twat on the road, cabs, white vans, bmw drivers, but generally truck drives arnt a problem as long as you take care around them. Just accept that you have to share the road whith them and like pyro said just hang back and give yourself a chance