Forum

Post subject: Mondraker Gravity Mountain Bike Rally - w/e 15 & 16 Sep
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:05 pm 
A buddy and I hope to get down to Triscombe for a weekend of shuttle assisted riding. We've spoken to the organisers and they are free to run the uplift; subject to numbers...

The proposed format is:
Uplifted 2-3min Dh riding on the Sat. Drink a few beers, camp the night and enjoy some uplifted 12-15 min AM riding on the Sun.

It's a 3 hour drive from London. There are secure grounds for camping and ample scones and cream, should that be your thing.

Minimum numbers are 6 (for each day) and the price is [aprox]£30 for each day.

(A certain webmaster has suggested that this is the best value uplift facility in the UK...)

If anyone is up for one or both days, post up and let's see if we can get the numbers.

Post subject: Re: Triscombe uplifts w/e 15 & 16 Sep
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:37 pm 
I've been wantIng to do the two day Triscombe for a while, but am booked to be racicing the gravity enduro on that same weekend. If it was the. Weekend after I could do it!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:30 pm 
I'd also be so up for this but I'm doing a road cycle that Sunday !

--------------------------------------
Bike pics
www.pinkbike.com/u/nwmlarge/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:19 pm 
If you were going the week after id head down for one of the days dude. cant do a 2 dayer however.

Triscombe is the nutts

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:34 pm 
Would be very keen on following week too :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:29 pm 
Well, it looks like I may have been permitted a pass for the wrong weekend...

Jim, I'd forgotten about that Enduro... I presume it's the Mondraker weekend? Long story, short: Karve can you delete the post as I'm going to book that Enduro up tomorrow!

Jim give me a shout if you want to link for the weekend.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:45 pm 
No worries

link for the event here - looks dam awsome.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/event ... Bike-Rally

Northern was thinking of doing this one.. check in with him. Ill change the post to be the gravity Challenge instead

Post subject: Re: Mondraker Gravity Mountain Bike Rally - w/e 15 & 16 Sep
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:35 pm 
Yep that's the one, I'll be driving down Friday night and back Sunday after the event. Send me a message and we can sort out a Essexhertsmtb camp!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:02 pm 
Would love to do this but entered into the XC enduro thing at Kelvedon Hatch on the 16th. Love riding on Exmoor.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:46 pm 
I'm booked in for this - along with my mate Gary (Futete on here - he lives in Barnstaple so may be staying at his if we don't decide to camp) - looking forward to it.

Found the following preview of the downhill sections - some of which are familiar having ridden them earlier this year and on the EssexhertsMTB trip to Triscombe/Exmoor this time last year::

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:32 pm 
^ looks fast

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:03 am 
Some of that looks quite familiar. http://app.strava.com/rides/16655359 is the Exmoor Explorer I did recently, which ran along some of the same trails. One of my favorite places to ride.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:45 pm 
Bag's packed, bike's all sorted, weather's looking good - game on for a fun couple of days....

.... Jim, Chris - I'm travelling down tomorrow morning - hopefully see you down there?

Cheers

Northern

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:08 pm 
Down in Devon and ready to ride!!

Looks a good format for the weekend.

What’s the format?

Stage 1 is Saturday, you can post a time anytime between 12pm and 4pm. You can only post one time and have one run at the stage. A prize will be awarded for the fastest rider on stage 1 that evening and a set of Fox 34 Forks for the 34th Fastest time!

Stages 2,3 and 4 are Sunday. Stages 2 and 4 are timed stages, stage 3 isn’t timed but you have to ride it as part of the event (plus it’s really good and really long). A prize will be awarded for the fastest time on Stage 2 and a set of Fox 36 Forks for the 36th Fastest time on Stage 2.

We’ll have overall times and times from all stages available on your email and the website after the event.

The overall fastest time for all stages will win a free entry to next year’s event and the glory of being the Gravity Hero for 2012. The fastest female rider will be crowned Auntie Gravity (see what we did there) and get a free entry too.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:09 pm 
Back home & knackered after a really fun couple of days riding

Good to see Futete, Jim25, Chris144 and Andy-no-number (Chris144's mate) Duncan 'Triscombe Uplift' Anderson and family and Fab B1 (or was it Cedric Gracia)

Strava logs of the 2 days are here:

http://app.strava.com/runs/horner-somerset-united-kingdom-22182259?ref=1MT1yaWRlX3NoYXJlOzI9ZW1haWw7ND0zNzI2ODE%253D

http://app.strava.com/runs/horner-somerset-united-kingdom-22182289?ref=1MT1yaWRlX3NoYXJlOzI9ZW1haWw7ND0zNzI2ODE%253D

My thoughts in terms of the weekend:

+ really mellow and friendly event
+ nice food (from the Luff Bus - run by the guys that used to run the Drop Off double decker cafe at Brechfa Forest)
+ lovely Exmoor ale available in the event villge (including a free pint when you finished)
+ you got a free a set of RWD brake pads and a second set for £5
+ Exmoor is proper 'big day' out mountain bike terrain terrain(with sea views!)
+ the 3 timed descent section were low tech flat out fast affairs
+ had a decent chat with Fabian Barrel (until Gary spoilt it by asking him about tyre pressures - bit of a tumble weed moment)
+ routes were sensibly signposted (Gary only got lost once so it's nearly idiot proof)

- no timing on the 3rd section due to a lack of permission from the landowner
- the timing mat on 4th section wasn't in place for my last run down on the Sunday so missed a time here
- the music in the event village was a bit loud
- the description of the climbs as 'easy' was a gross exaggeration!!
- having had a taster of some of the other descent that Exmoor has to offer when we did the Exmoor uplift day with Duncan - it would have been good to have a slightly more 'tech' section for one of the descents

Assuming they can get the timing problems sorted in the future (reminds me of the Kona Mash Up at Afan a few years back) - think I'll be looking to do this again in 2013