Forum

Post subject: POV boom
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:56 pm 
Im in the process of making my own POV boom for my GP2 to fit my new 661 lid.
I want to get some awesome playback . An this seems to be the way forward.
i'll put up some pictures at some point wen it's made.

anyone else had ago at doing this :?:

MuZzA :high5:

Post subject: Re: POV boom
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:24 pm 
Theres another thread on here about this, complete with comments about Sir Digby Chicken Ceaser :)

Andy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:38 pm 
http://www.essexhertsmtb.co.uk/mountain ... oke#p29973 ;)

It gives awesome footage

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:25 am 
Funny you should show that link. i watched it yesterday morning. It's what gave me the idea.
ive got hold of x2 , 1mtr x 2mm strips of flat aluminium. ive got to buy a grab a bag , as i need the J buckle for height off the front end. a coulpe of washers to make up the 1mm difference and hold them fast. theres a slight over hang off the rear, but the clamps will be good enough to counter the weight of the camera. im cutting 13cm off of the overall length and rounding both ends. lining up the arm when both mounts are fixed in place and drilling 1/4" holes for the go pro thumb screws to pass through. then drill the same size hole at the end where the camera will go. As there are two strips the camera housing will just slot straight in + making it more sturdy.

???? this should work well he says???

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:17 am 
Sound cool. Got any pics?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:23 am 
MuZzA wrote:
Funny you should show that link. i watched it yesterday morning. It's what gave me the idea.
ive got hold of x2 , 1mtr x 2mm strips of flat aluminium. ive got to buy a grab a bag , as i need the J buckle for height off the front end. a coulpe of washers to make up the 1mm difference and hold them fast. theres a slight over hang off the rear, but the clamps will be good enough to counter the weight of the camera. im cutting 13cm off of the overall length and rounding both ends. lining up the arm when both mounts are fixed in place and drilling 1/4" holes for the go pro thumb screws to pass through. then drill the same size hole at the end where the camera will go. As there are two strips the camera housing will just slot straight in + making it more sturdy.

???? this should work well he says???

Sounds good, but what I'd recommend is some bits of bamboo, a coke bottle, and some duct tape :lol:

Seriously though, make sure you manufacture in a weak point somewhere. When you've got 1m of aluminium in front of you and solidly bolted into the helmet, the force it could exert on your neck is massive. I only felt safe as I knew the bamboo would snap before my neck would.

Chris

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:38 pm 
Chris, how'd you do it that way?? id like to see it if you have any pictures mate.
I take your point of a weak spot. I dont fancy sitting out for any length of time.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:50 pm 
There's a photo in the thread that Karve linked to above, but here it is:

Put bamboo on top of helmet, duct tape down. Tape a small rock to the back, just behind the helmet. Attach the gopro to the bamboo using the handlebar mount (you might need some packing material, depending on the diameter of bamboo!). Ride :D

The coke bottle was a later addition, as in the setup pictured the gopro was too low, which meant my mate couldn't see where we was going! It was just wedged in place between the bamboo and helmet to lift the gopro up a bit, you can see it in the crash at the end of the video.

It wouldn't be just 'sitting out' that would concern me, if you're talking about a completely solid metal rig bolted to your lid, I'd be more worried about ever walking again in the event of a crash! When I was looking into it someone summed it up well by saying 'the awesomeness of the shots it gives is only surpassed by it's ability to maim'. When you ride with all that weight pivoting around your neck, you'll quickly see what he meant. One run with it on was enough for each of us!

Chris

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:20 pm 
Nice one chris :thumbup: point taken. I think i'll try the bambo version, as i value my neck. :D
i might pimp it up a bit though.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:39 pm 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU8942jUvas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:31 am 
If you want to engineer a weak link into the aluminium put a crease in it somewhere more than 35'

--------------------------------------
It doesn't matter what you ride

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:17 am 
Just made my B&Q stylie boom cam pole for the go pro 1 & 2 .
i decided to use plumbers o/f pipe & just tape instead of hard mouning aluminium to the go pro j buckle brackets.
" thanks chris321"
so heres a couple of pics and a video is on youtube

use this link to watch my short demo.

http://youtu.be/OOvh-_SN1B4

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:25 am 
Lol, you should wear it for the rest of the day :).

Nice and simple design and the easier it pops off the better incase of an accident :).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:47 am 
Looks good, but how foolish do you feel wearing it ? :)

IMO could do with being a bit lower so we can see the handlebars/some of the shocks.

What cam is it again ?. A gopro ?

Andy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:53 am 
I dont feel foolish at all.
the mounting bracket at the end of the pole has an adjustable clamp so i can change the angle when ever i want to.
plus it has a mount i made at the front of the lid to give it height but not so much its dangerous.
ive also counter weighted it at the rear to allow for the camera & case weight.

its simple an effective as my video shows.

Last edited by MuZzA on Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.