Forum

Post subject: Wood burner
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:44 am 
Just checking if anyone has got any experience with those. We are thinking to have installed and we have been quoted £2,000 for providing the flue pipe and flue system, and installation (price exclude the wood burner itself). Basically they need to come out of the external wall and go up to the roof. It seems a bit steep price wise, just wondering if anyone had one installed. Waiting to get another couple of quotes to compare.
According to the guy is 1 day worth of work, and I guess that the hardest is going to be drilling the external wall for the pipe to go through.
Any thoughts ?

JC

Post subject: Re: Wood burner
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:39 am 
I looked into one for my summer house/bar and that was nearing a grand ! Hence we now try and use body heat.
2 grand doesn't buy much theses days. It depends on how they do it, man power, scaffold etc.. Or is it a man on his own slinging a ladder up and over the roof? or are you just having a vent attached to the side of the house? Are they taking care of any possible planning and building reg issues? Is it stainless steel or galvanised ducting?
Did you get this quote from the same place your buying the burner?
Personally I'd look into doing it myself . Lastly I take it your not in a smokeless zone?

--------------------------------------
Tally ho lads over the top we go!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:58 pm 
Sounds about the right sort of price. From a rather flu ridden memory its about 1000 quid for flue pipe and all the bits and pieces alone. Thats what I costed by getting prices off the internet just for parts and thats for flexabile pipe for lining a chimney so would expect it to be more for an external one.

I have been given ball park figures of £3-3500 all done. I will need the fire place opened up, a harth laid, flue pipe installed and possible vent installed if the air flow isnt correct. They also puta carbon monoxide alarm in as well.

If you are in a smoke free zone you just need to make sure your burner complies to deffra regulations. i plan to get a multi fuel so can burn smoke free coal or wood. The Deffra compliant ones reburn the fumes to remove the soot which makes it smoke free.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:05 pm 
Thanks guys, I had another quote today and it was slightly cheaper £1,500 + price of stove. This guy is HETAS certified and does the carbon monoxide alarm too.

May get a third quote just to be sure

JC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:38 pm 
If you dont mind can you let me know who you get quotes from.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:04 pm 
That was the guy this morning (cheaper quote) http://www.derrickandrewswoodburners.co.uk/wood-burners

That was the other guy (dearer quote)
www.essexstoveinstallations.co.uk

JC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:20 pm 
All i know is get a very good flue!
been to many fires because of crappy installed flues!

--------------------------------------
trees dont move!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:47 pm 
I had a multi-fuel stove installed in October, all in inc cost of stove it cost £1500. I used Ambleside (guy called Derick) to install, basically, he charged me £450 to install and left to me to buy all the bits required. I got all mine from Lower Barn Farm in Rayleigh. When you buy a stove, avoid anything that is chinese as they are no good for burning stuff in, and I dont actually think a a fitter would fit a chinese stove. Hope this helps

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:04 pm 
Hi Max, thanks for the post. Finally agreed on a price £1,400 for fitting and all the stuff I need except the stove. This was ordered on Ebay, it's a Hunter Herald 5 Slimline multifuel as recommended by fitter. I probably could have found a cheaper installer but was happy with this one, he is Hetas certified too
JC