Forum

Post subject: Getting ready for gravity enduro
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:49 am 
Hi all, I'm looking at getting a lapierre zesty 427 ei .in September I've spoken to Matt at grips and will be demoing one when it comes in. I'm looking at then buying the demo later in the year. I will have to change shifters and rear mech to sram as I'm now used to it. Are the brakes cool ?
Are there any other options in the £2000-£3000 will need to be store bought as barclaycard will be paying :)

I had an 06 enduro which was 150mm travel and rode all of the welsh centres and the alps on it but now realise that the bike was flattering my skills.
With my work/family and study constraints until 3rd June. I only get to ride once a week but would like a few chicky days at half term on the 456 to improve my gravity skills

Any tips on what I can do to get ready for 2015 season would be warmly received (I'll be doing lots of cv and riding from June to get my fitness )

Thanks Adam

Post subject: Re: Getting ready for gravity enduro
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:34 pm 
Barclay Card via Paypal = You can buy something better second hand......

--------------------------------------
SPS Santa Cruz V10c / Lapierre Spicy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:41 pm 
Good call I'm just thinking the new lapierre frame won't be about secondhand plus I fancy the ei shock as climbing was the only thing that let my enduro down. When I get the test zesty you might need to pop over for the day :)
Zesty is set up lighter than the spicy but could be changed to 160 if need be but I never used 150 properly before

Last edited by Madasnibbor on Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:17 pm 
Which UKGE races are you doing?

The best in my experience is Dyfi in mid august. It is the only one I will be entering this year. Fresh cut trails. Proper Dh in places, or it certainly was in 2012, not so much 2013

160 is prob necessary

YT wicked is a great bike but cant be bought from a shop!!

Nukeproof mega is good value

training wise the uphills are fine if you of a good fitness.

time is made up on long pedally sections where youu will have to balls out sprint. You need to be fit to do this well and still have something in the tank for the remainder of the section.

To be good at GE you need to be able to ride neat and tidy and carry speed through sections.

Unfortunately to really train effectively you will need a couple of away days on terrain similar to what you are going to race. So I assume if you are doing UKGE thatll be Afan Cymcarn type stuff. So go there and repeat sections 2 or three times. Eye it up look at lines, little pops and downslopes where you can carry speed.

The more natural trails cut at UKGE will be more Surrey type things but also certain trails at Epping will suffice, if they are long enough.

When you ride repeat sections. How can you get quicker? How did you get quicker? What obstacles can you eliminate by better bike riding?

As far as overall fitness days time on the bike is key. If Chicky means chicksands I am afraid you need more than that. Get your self to Surrey Hills and get to the top of a hill!!

Stay loose

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:31 pm 
That's the plan Tugger to train luckily I don't have the finances for a new FS until later this year as my scar from April needs to heal. (I've got an 8" full depth bowel surgery scar).
As I only have a hardcore hardtail at the moment I planned on a few trips to chicksands to get back to basics rather than hit everything with a 6" FS which irons out the kinks. If I can hit stuff confidently on a HT by the time I get fit and have a FS I'll be able to pin it was my logic.(don't take offence I'm thinking of the long game and wanted opinions and options)
I'm assuming 160 is not much fun to pedal uphill the new zesty and spiceys share a frame so it will be stiff with lighter kit
What are the courses like I've only ridden the welsh trail centres and a few trail riding trips to the alps I've never ridden on full DH.
Nick made me think as PayPal will let you pay for most things :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:29 pm 
Ah. That makes more sense. Try to get some other bike time in. you will be needing it on the flat springs. The trails in my experience are a mix between trail center, grass track (st5 dyfi), hand cut woodland and mini dh (inners & dyfi 2012)

mix your riding up but you seem to be approaching it right.

160 bikes are more pedalable than you think. go somewhere to test ride a few. worthwhile...

all the best with it. maybe once you're fit we could hit somewhere for a training weekend!

Stay loose

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:12 pm 
I think your a Chelmsford based teacher also :) so could work out well for training trips
I'm an unqualified maths teacher at the mo finishing my maths degree , planning lessons and having three under fives does not all fit in well with mountain biking :(. I bet modern 160 actually pedal like my old o6 enduro did. I've got a half decent HT now so could have a pedal able fun bike.

Getting fit riding Danbury Xc but have no rightside core :(

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:33 pm 
Yeah man.

when it dries out a touch that would be good!

ill pm message you if i make a trip. got a van so sometimes do surrey daytrips and such

Stay loose

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:00 am 
Sounds good I've not been to surrey in 6 yrs I still feel a bit lardy but if you don't mind a panting dog following you on the ups I'm happy to follow :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:02 am 
Dude, I've just bought the core of Ian's YT Wicked 150 so if we're on a ride at Danbury or somewhere you're more than welcome to jump on and give it a spin for feel?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:30 pm 
Cheers ev I'm a bit of a tart so will test the zesty as I think 150 will be cool for me. I don't have the skills like mr tonks for 10mm more and want to be comfortable as my main hack for Wales,France etc
But I will have ago I won't finish my studies until June so I'm going to test a range rather than jumping in :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:04 pm 
http://vimeo.com/m/72588681
This is the kind of alpine riding I've done :) 7yrs ago was my last trip
This is what I'm hoping gravity enduro will be have a blast and stage times are just an extra buzz anyone fancy a 2015 trip ?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:41 pm 
Ya top video would love some of that epic scenery , fellow HT warrior :high5:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:13 pm 
I'll be rocking a FS by then :) last time I was on my Enduro. It's like riding a large technical natural trail centre
All good :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:13 pm 
B up for this epic scenery awesome single track

Yeti 575
cannondale sl4