Forum

Post subject: New trails - afan blade & Cwm carn Cafall
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:10 pm 
Right just got back from an epically good fun weekend in Wales, tried out the new trails at Afan and Cwm Carn

http://www.mbwales.com/en/content/cms/C ... Trail.aspx
http://www.mbwales.com/en/content/cms/C ... afall.aspx

First off Afan have gone under a few changed recently due to two reasons. First one is they suffered from wood disease so a lot of the trails have been closed off most of last year while all the trees were harvested. Secondly, a new wind farm is being built causing the skyline trail to be closed (not sure if this is penitently or just while it is being built) but a new trail to be built (paid for by the energy company) as a replacement.

Blade shares the same sheep track climb out of Glyncorrwg with the Whites Level trail to access higher and more remote section of the forest with amazing views over the Brecon Beacons before you drop back over the hill for some flowing descents and tough technical climbs before the open final descent back down to Glyncorrwg after this 24km Red graded trail. Those looking for a longer loop can take in the Skyline Loop to add over 20km of riding and some amazing single-track sections or could always do top half of Whites level before fire roading it back up to windy point.

Ghost train and happy ending seam to be the highlight to the trails. Ghost train is a very tight and twisty rocky decent in woods. Happy ending is a rocky, fast flowing trail with lots of rock drops in places. The new trails are well build with not a lot of boggy sections and flow. The climb/decent out of Glyncorrwg is defiantly missing something were there is no tree coverage but is still good fun and interesting enough to make it one of my favourite climbs.

Cwm Carn is also suffering from the wood disease but not fully sure if the tree will be harvested closing the DH and Twrch trails for a bit. The new Cafall is a longer and more modern trail compared to Twrch. It still has a steep climb out of the car park to begin with before easing off in to a steady climb. The descents are all amazing with a roller coaster ride down the hill side. Again they are well built, though there is one or two of the sections that are soil based in the woods that will be muddy and slippy (but it just adds to the fun).

Out of the two, Cafall does it for me and it's short enough to link with Twrch for a all day ride

--------------------------------------
RAF spitfire PEDAL-WORX RACEING

Post subject: Re: New trails - afan blade & Cwm carn Cafall
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:43 am 
Hey Matt - great write up. Ive done the blade as well and would throughly recommend it. Afan is back to being a place worth visiting with the opening of that trail. The loss of the trees on the climb is a real shame however. I hope they manage to replant it with something.

Haven't ridden the new trail at CwmCarn but will look to check it out after your review.

Where did you stay while you were there?

Post subject: Re: New trails - afan blade & Cwm carn Cafall
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:26 pm 
Videos not of me but just to give you an idea of what Cafall is like...

And my favourite trail on the new track

We stayed at Afan Lodge, first time there and would go back, you can do cheaper but for the fact it has a bar and restaurant on site (that are fantastic quality) it just makes the whole trip a lot easier, I would go back.

Cafall is such a top place to ride, although I will defiantly say quiet a few people won't like it depending on their type of rideing. There is still a steep climb to do (similar to the twrch) and the trails are not as long as others, but it feels completely different to any other trail I have riden, closest type is Surrey Hills Summer Lightling.

--------------------------------------
RAF spitfire PEDAL-WORX RACEING