Forum

Post subject: Downhill Bike?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:51 pm 
Hi All,

I am looking into getting a Downhill bike, I have at the moment about £1000 to spend could anyone recomend a make/breesd of bike which is good for a newbie to the down hill world?

Thanks

ps could be second hand if anyone is selling!!!

Post subject: Re: Downhill Bike?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:21 am 
My dirtbag frame is up for sale, offers a good cross between dh and freeride in my opinion!

http://www.essexhertsmtb.co.uk/selling- ... -t609.html

Post subject: Re: Downhill Bike?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:11 am 
A full good spec'd DH bike new may well be in excess of £1000, I've built mine using bits from Ebay, frame and forks can be got quite cheaply, I currently have a Spesh 2005 Big Hiot which cost me £380 and Manitou forks for £60, which i rebuilt and got shot blasted and powder coated, new seals etc...prob spent just under a grand in total on my DH bike.

My advice would be to start buying bike mags (Dirt being my fave) and have a look through ads, reviews and features to get a good understanding of what you want and how much it'll cost, I found Dirt's Recent Top 101 products very helpfull and it prompted me to buy some recommended/good value items such as new Deore brakes, Charge Seat, Superstar Wheels.

Obvioulsy everyone has their fave bike shops, but whilst its great to get advice from a bike shop, its a pity they often have a very limited stock, whereas shopping online can produce great results, I'd recommend Chain Reaction, Superstar Components plus Ebay.

You may find some items are a bit trial and error, I went through various derailuers before sticking with Shimano Saint (the old series) coz they are just so tough.

Andy