Forum

Post subject: Hi (Newbie in the Epping area)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:56 pm 
Hi Guys,

Thought I would introduce myself.

I'm Rowan, I'm a fairly new rider based in the Epping area.

I've ridden bikes of various types in the past (to a very basic standard I might add) but at the grand old age of 26 have decided to try my hand at proper mountain biking and so far am loving it!

I've been riding for the past month or so pretty much solely in Epping forest on the search tricky single tracks and bumpy tree dodging routes through the heart of the forest. I've been riding my dads 2014 Boardman hardtale but have decided to finally get my own bike (a full sus 2016 Scott Spark 750).

As im fairly new to riding in the area and don't really have any mates that share the interest in the sport, im riding on my own but would be keen to tag along with some riders who know what they are doing (and where they are going) to show me the ropes and help me improve my riding.

I would love to try my hand at some downhills but I don't really know where to look for them, if they even exist locally that is...

I ride nearly every Saturday and Sunday between 8:00 and 10:00 so if your in the area and fancy showing the new blood the ropes give me a shout. I might not be the most competent rider but what I lack in skill I make up for in enthusiasm.

Cheers,

Rowan

Post subject: Re: Hi (Newbie in the Epping area)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:05 pm 
Welcome dude - keep an eye out for rides either in the calendar in the top left corner or in the forum. Things tend to get going a bit more as the Forest dries out a bit

There is also a dedicated Epping page here with links to Epping threads

http://www.essexhertsmtb.co.uk/mtb-trai ... forest.php

A great place to find out about the trails is and do some exploring on your own is strava heatmaps

http://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#14/-359 ... /blue/bike

and almost all of the trails are shown here

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/5 ... 1&layers=C

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:10 am 
Thanks for the heads up on the info. I will check out the links on my rides this weekend and see if I can find some new trails.

Cheers,

Rowan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:02 pm 
Hi Rowan,

My name is Gurj and I am looking to get into Mountain Biking. I have a very basic bike that has been rusting in the shed and its a hard tail with very poor folk suspension.

I would love for you to show my a nice route through Epping Forest. I have never been there before other than driving past. I was about to purchase a Canyon bike online and fell asleep with my bank card on my chest. When i woke up I tried to put the order through and the last Large bike had been sold. Proper heart broken.

I got in touch with Canyon and they said that their new stock will be on launch in October so I'm thinking I might just wait for that. Where did you buy your Scott from?

I am defo going for a full suspension and fox setup if i can afford it. One of the main reasons I want to take up Mountain Biking is because I have been trying to shed a few pounds lately and when jogging everyday for a week. My knees were finished and i thought would could I do? Rowing, Boxing and finally Cycling.

The bike i have got at home is actually my younger brother and totally the wrong set up for me but I just need to get out there.

I am off from work this weekend 20th/21st August, if you fancy an even more of a newbie than yourself please let me know lol.

take care

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:45 am 
Welcome guys,

I have been buiding up a picture of the forest recently on trailforks: http://www.trailforks.com/region/epping-forest/

Its got most of the fun stuff on there and the short dh runs that I know of. You can download the app and then use your phone to find particular trails while your out.

Sadly I'm not the earliest riser, so probabbly won't be joing you for your rides, but maybe I'll see you on a group ride sometime :)

Got any pictures of your new bike yet?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:13 pm 
Hi PabloGT,

I just paid for a Santa Cruz Tall Boy 29er and I am buzzing. It will take a few weeks to come. So stoked about my new bike. I bought it from Soho Bikes in London.

Thanks for the trail forks link, really helpful. As soon as the new bike arrives I'll post some pics straight away.

Take care

Gurj

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:50 am 
Hi guys,

Reynard here. I'm also fairly new to London, living in East London at the moment, and my MTB recently arrived from South Africa. I've read some good reviews on Epping Forest, but I have no idea how the trails work or where to join for a ride? Don't know if you guys would be keen on joining up for a XC outride?

I'm also not sure how to get my bike to Epping Forest, can you take your bike on the train, or what is the easiest way if you don't have a car?

Hope to hear from you guys soon.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:42 pm 
Im new to mountain biking and starting to explore Epping Forest. Does anyone want meet up on a Sunday ?