Forum

Post subject: Re: Skills training
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:42 pm 
steve83 wrote:
From what i have heard the Jedi is over rated.
Said no one ever? :crazy:

--------------------------------------
Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:29 pm 
steve83 wrote:
From what i have heard the Jedi is over rated.

steve83 wrote:
After my first two crashes i started getting coaching from Tom Dowie, where i was making good progress.

steve83 wrote:
Maybe another coach may help, working on my psychological/mental side is key i think, will definitely look into it when i am ready to get back on the bike.

Where does his coaching take place?

steve83 wrote:
I think i will give that other coaching ago, i just seem to have a mental block when it comes to jumping, i know i cam do it, but i just seem to stiffen up, which obviously doesnt help.

last three quotes taken from this thread
http://www.essexhertsmtb.co.uk/mountain ... t2755.html

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:38 pm 
Haha, you sir need to get a life!!

Those quotes also prove sod all, just identifying my riding issues were in my head, and nothing to do with coaching.

I contacted Jedi, came across as abrupt and condescending, thankfully i didn't waste my money there.

I stuck at it, got my head around my crashes, realised it was all in my head, got another session with Tom and the results have paid off massively, raced 3 rounds of the NPS 4x series this season and got 2 podiums, and plan on racing a full season next year.

I can't thank Tom enough for how he has changed my riding, i highly recommend him.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:47 pm 
^ cheers steve I know a few riders who have used Jedi plus a few guys from the forum so i will prob take a punt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:52 am 
You wont regret it Adam, i think you get out of it what you are prepared to put in to it, I've heard good things about Tom but never had training with him, although our paths have crossed at Chicky a few times and he's a nice a guy but wouldn't comment on his training with out having been on it ! People that have been recommend it.

Jedi's (Tony) training was good, in fact it was very good, i thought i could ride a bike and was happy just to go somewhere with some well maintained jumps that was a little different, i also thought he wasn't paying attention when i was on my first visit as there were quite a few of us but in fact the truth was i'd forgotten how to ride a bike properly and Tony saw everything and corrected it ! instead of bungling through things Jedi's training really bought it all together, my second visit there (so i could ride more of the place's bigger features, wasn't so fussed about training LOL) was even better as i knew a little more about what to expect, the environment and the way he works and again he spotted things, advised on things and taught loads, i was in even more control and had more confidence and the proof of the pudding has to be my mate that went that previously broke a collarbone on a the ski jump over Danbury. Tony had him doing steep drops again and jumping too after he completely shy'd away from anything like that !

It will always be a punt, but take control of the situation and make it work for you.

i kick myself everyday that i cant use my golden ticket to go ride there more often :( but in the new year i hope to address that <fingers crossed>

It doesn't matter what you ride

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:20 pm 
Steve 83
you have heard wrong

how you can make a judgement over the phone is very surprising, if Tony is abrupt and condescending, then why does nobody who has been to Tony have a bad word to say about him?

tony has a calm intuitive way at appraising you very quickly , I was riding better and with more confidence after 4 hours than i had been for the previous years.
ive been riding for 15 years and never done a gap jump etc.
now i am riding gaps, pump runs small jumps, steeps and getting better every day.

not meaning to put down Tom at all

Tom " I’ve been coaching for 3 years now, have had over two hundred clients"

Tony has had over 10,000 clients and is the busiest coach in Europe

http://ukbikeskills.blogspot.co.uk/sear ... date=false

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:04 pm 
Oh of course i have, because no one has ever said anything negative about the almighty Jedi.

Just because YOU haven't heard anything bad said about him, doesn't mean that it doesn't happen, it's life no one is 100% satisfied all of the time.

So the point of your post, just highlights the fact that we have both had positive experiences for two different coaches, i don't see the issue with that.

People on here just need to realise there are other options available for coaching.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:19 pm 
I agree 100% about different coaches, i think it makes a great deal of sense if you need coaching to having sessions with a variety of coaches as you are bound to learn more, as long as they are good coaches of course.

i took issue a bit by with you saying Tony was over rated and that he was abrupt ( maybe busy?) and condescending no way .
i tell you what, if you go on a group lesson with Tony, if at the end of the session you havent changed your mind, i will pay for the session.
if you have changed your mind, you can buy me a beer, after paying Jedi of course
Lester

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:13 pm 
Group sessions don't appeal to me at all, i want the coach to be focused on my riding and no one else.

I just doubt he could make me a better 4x racer though, where i know Tom definitely can/has.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:41 am 
steve83 wrote:
Group sessions don't appeal to me at all, i want the coach to be focused on my riding and no one else .

i had the same mentality as this when i went the first time, i was so wrong.

It doesn't matter what you ride

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:19 am 
I agree, but i think both.
in a group session you can see what the rider is doing wrong when the coach is giving instruction.
when its about yourself its more difficult

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:47 am 
Lestershaw wrote:
i agree 100% about different coaches, i think it makes a great deal of sense if you need coaching to having sessions with a variety of coaches as you are bound to learn more, as long as they are good coaches of course.

i took issue a bit by with you saying Tony was over rated and that he was abrupt ( maybe busy?) and condescending no way .
i tell you what, if you go on a group lesson with Tony, if at the end of the session you havent changed your mind, i will pay for the session.
if you have changed your mind, you can buy me a beer, after paying Jedi of course
Lester

I feel compelled to write something as Tony is in no way condescending or rude. He is actually one of the nicest guys I have ever met and has gone out of his way to encourage and help me to progress my riding.

I will go halves with Lester on his proposition above and you don't even have to buy me a beer!

I personally cannot recommend him enough.

I have also had coaching from Ben Deakin and whilst he was very good, I felt that I learnt more from Tony. That is my personal preference others may prefer Ben just as you prefer Tom.

I don't feel like I need to prove anything to you on this Steve but feel your brash judgment and hearsay comments needed correcting considering that you yourself have never been coached by Tony.

This is by know means an attempt to start an argument. Like I said, I just felt compelled to write for the benefit of those that may be considering using UKBikeskills in future.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:48 pm 
Steve you say that people here need to realise that are other options available for coaching, that's not the point! People do realise that! Nobody put down Tom, in fact people said that heard good things about him. The point is that you had never had a coaching session with Tony and claims that he's overrated and a coaching session with him would be a waste of money! You're too quick to make judgements buddy!

People that know me can testify how my riding has developed this year after few coaching sessions with Tony. Of course coaching sessions are not a magical thing, but they are crucial to get your technique and your mental strength right. Once you have those elements you will have to practise as much as you and the results will surely come.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:02 pm 
I did an all mountain course with pro ride guides at the forest of dean , highly recommend these guys !

Yeti 575
cannondale sl4

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:04 pm 
I never commented on his coaching abilities myself, as i am not in a place to make that judgement, i have just gone off my experience of communications with him, and from what i have heard.

I am glad everyone has seen an improvement in their riding, as that's the reason we undertake coaching in the first place.

I have no requirement to have coaching off him, as i said previously, i want to become a better/faster 4x racer, so i go to a coach who is an elite 4x racer, surely that makes sense.