Forum

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1085 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 73  Next
 Post subject: Re: Trail conditions
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:50 pm 
Festa wrote:

Was over Thorndon last night for a quick blast. Not so much a blast, more a trudge! Still very muddy! As muddy as Festa's bike the other week! Thank God i've got 'band' wagon wheels to trudge through it with a bit of speed, eh?

Yeah, apparently, i've been told they're BAND wagon wheels coz everyone's getting them.

Don't knock 'til you've tried.

;-)

--------------------------------------
Rumblefish Elite 29er
Specialized P1AM

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:30 am 
South epping is not too bad. Some gloopy patches / sections under trees but generally pretty dry. Best conditions since the start of april.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:08 pm 
Langdon hills mostly dry today.

Tally ho lads over the top we go!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:52 pm 
Broxbourne is pretty muddy still and worse still because very few people have been using he woods, theres quite a few impassable areas of nettles/brambles.

http://www.moohcowh.co.uk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:36 pm 
Although I didn't go too far off the beaten track, since it was my first ride in over a month, Thorndon was pretty damn dry. Great ride!

Hopefully it should stay that way for a while, then I might try and get back out regularly again. So depressing this year, planning rides only for it to be always raining.

Post subject: Trail conditions
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:44 pm 
Did broxborne yesterday and 80% of it has a good dry line. The 20% however, Jesus christ, horse piss filled bog fest with no escape just got to close your eyes, plough through it. Needs more riders on it, as mentioned the plants are getting pretty intrusive!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:37 pm 
Thorndon not to bad today didn't do donkey lane. Single track going south deep slop in places.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:25 pm 
Bits of Thorndon I did today were fairly dry, but it's definately a few more days of no rain for it to properly dry out.

Too many idiot pedestrians out today, one woman just turned round in the middle of the bridle way and stood there looking at me, like I had just taken a dump on her Sunday roast. I mean seriously, there are plenty of lovely footpaths through the woods where the bikes don't normally go, and they all walk up and down the bridleways, where there is nothing to see except Cows walking around in their own defecation. Speaking of which, All the cows sitting on the footpath by the south pond pretty much put the brakes on a fast ride today :(

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:41 pm 
Mid / North Epping is getting better .. still some uber bogs but now a dry line has appeared round 90% of them.

Went out for an hours today and was the best blast ive had in months.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:54 am 
South Epping is dry, still the odd patch of gloop in dips and at the end of descents. Went out with a high roller on the back and it was great, the flow is back :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:27 am 
Checked out my mates bikes from their ride last night in Epping and they looked clean, they id say there were dry lines round most things just was hard to see them i nthe dark. If the weather holds up and the showers miss today it should be looking it's best for in Epping for many months.

There's still the usual places to steer clear off as a week ago they were not impassable but a joke, looked like a river instead of a track.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:06 am 
South Epping is dry, still the odd patch of mud in dips or at the end of descents, running really well, lots of flow.

Mid - Epping, still muddy, theres a line drying out in places but still places where theres just a bog with no way round. In particular two trails, the curly wurly singletrack that runs by the stream just south of rangers road is a bog in places and the trails running north out of conaught water are wet and gloopy.

There are a trees down right next to Eccles dip, both sides of the stream, you can dismount on the east side (the drop in side of Eccles dip), the west side isn't passable.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:17 pm 
Great update beardee - Mid / North of the forest is running well with fast lines appearing. Odd boggy bit as mentioned. Sunday should be a great day for checking the forest out.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:01 pm 
I rode 60+ miles up and down Epping this weekend so heres how the conditions vary. Its like there's a whole years riding conditions in one forest.

Down south, its like summer, middle is like winter and up north its spring.

The south is dry and running fast with lots of flow and very few patches of mud.
The middle is a bog, there's a couple of trails which are unrideable unless you fancy axle deep wet mud, mentioned these in an earlier post.
The north is muddy, there's a slightly less muddy line appearing but in general there still loads of mud around. there is no real flow as you have to go around so many mud patches. The ridges in and out of Jacks Hill are gloopy, the third section is a mudfest, Throwing pots (the trail heading west from Jacks hill carpark) was running surprisingly well. Trails around Loughton camp were ok but still patches of mud and at best tacky mud. Trails north of high beech are a mess. Whilst up North it hammered it down, leaving a layer of grease almost everywhere as the ground is already so saturated but when returning south there was no sign of the rain, either it hadnt rained or it soaked up. Summed it up for me, only 10 miles makes such a difference.

Ill start posting up rides down south if anyones keen.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:28 am 
beardee wrote:
I rode 60+ miles up and down Epping this weekend so heres how the conditions vary. Its like there's a whole years riding conditions in one forest.

Down south, its like summer, middle is like winter and up north its spring.

The south is dry and running fast with lots of flow and very few patches of mud.
The middle is a bog, there's a couple of trails which are unrideable unless you fancy axle deep wet mud, mentioned these in an earlier post.
The north is muddy, there's a slightly less muddy line appearing but in general there still loads of mud around. there is no real flow as you have to go around so many mud patches. The ridges in and out of Jacks Hill are gloopy, the third section is a mudfest, Throwing pots (the trail heading west from Jacks hill carpark) was running surprisingly well. Trails around Loughton camp were ok but still patches of mud and at best tacky mud. Trails north of high beech are a mess. Whilst up North it hammered it down, leaving a layer of grease almost everywhere as the ground is already so saturated but when returning south there was no sign of the rain, either it hadnt rained or it soaked up. Summed it up for me, only 10 miles makes such a difference.

Ill start posting up rides down south if anyones keen.

Nice one Chris, I would be up for South rides :thumbup:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1085 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 73  Next