Forum

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Forest of Dean - 18th June Saturday FoD
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:59 pm 
I usually only run wet tyres in the winter - does this place get muddy then? Mud is all good fun but would be good to know before rather than faffing with tyres once there.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:30 pm 
Anselm wrote:
I usually only run wet tyres in the winter - does this place get muddy then? Mud is all good fun but would be good to know before rather than faffing with tyres once there.

I've ridden there 4 times in last 6 months - 2x conditions were wet and muddy - on first occasion I ran swamp donkey front with minion rear; second time - minion F&R....

...both set-up's worked fine at FoD with the first slightly better but as usual it's a bit of a case of swings and roundabouts - some of the steep. loamey switchback trail would suit a wetscreams (or any spike) but the faster, more open, rockier based trails, even when wet. are fine on minions / high rollers (or simialr); swamp donkeys F&R would be a good overall choice if you've got em but I wouldn't get too worried ....

... I'm going to start with minions f&r but take a spare front wheel with a wet scream and swap it out if it's a real bog (let's hope not!!)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:10 pm 
Ooh

http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/feature/Maxxis-Launches-the-High-Roller-II,61?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+VitalMtbSpotlights+%28Vital+MTB+Spotlights%29

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:39 am 
I will be running 2.5 HR's but thinking about taking a Swampthing along if it looks horrid!

Only issue is the Swamp is a 2.35 so do you think this would make much differrence and really require a change of the rear to a 2.35 too? ( I have minion DH so not an issue on that score but like others dont really want to flaff around with changing tyres unless I really need too!) Only thing I can think off would be turn in would be quicker at front I suspect and make 'tracking' an issue but if its that horrid would that be a real issue LOL

Any thoughts welcome guys!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:45 pm 
Grin wrote:
I will be running 2.5 HR's but thinking about taking a Swampthing along if it looks horrid!

Only issue is the Swamp is a 2.35 so do you think this would make much differrence and really require a change of the rear to a 2.35 too? ( I have minion DH so not an issue on that score but like others dont really want to flaff around with changing tyres unless I really need too!) Only thing I can think off would be turn in would be quicker at front I suspect and make 'tracking' an issue but if its that horrid would that be a real issue LOL

Any thoughts welcome guys!!

Grin - Karve and I chatted about FoD tyre choice today and concluded that there's probably not a single ideal all round tyre choice as the tracks are quite varied!

I've never run a smaller front tyre width compared to rear so can't offer any advice on how that might feel but personally I'd stick with HR F&R.

(that said, I'll probably have a last minute panic now and go wet screams F&R unless the hookworms turn up in time!! ;) )

Northern

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:08 pm 
Swampys front and rear for me because I put them on on Wednesday and can't be arsed to change them!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:20 pm 
Ive knackered my hand at ukbikeskills today so cant change my tyres - so its a bald minion at the back and a freshie at the front!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:44 pm 
Serve you right for riding when others have to work! Hope you are gonna be ok for tomorrow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:00 pm 
Mini cast in place - ill hope to be be mellow but good
Attachments:
photo.JPG
photo.JPG [ 47.01 KiB | Viewed 507 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:05 pm 
Ouch! Is that your ghetto attempt or the best Alex could do with a bad situation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:42 pm 
Karve wrote:
Ive knackered my hand at ukbikeskills today so cant change my tyres - so its a bald minion at the back and a freshie at the front!

Bring them in the van mate, and I'll change them at FoD or on the way. Will want the full story on the trip to FoD :o

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:09 pm 
Just put my swamp things and crud guard on seeing as its rained all week and is due to rain all day tomorrow!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:23 pm 
Guys - I am still at work, a quick question having never been to FOD.

Is it full on downhill or more uplift trails - I am thinking of taking the Nomad to get some practice under the tyres but dont want to be outbiked on any fun stuff?

Or Adam - is there room in the van for both?

Nigel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:24 pm 
Karve wrote:
mini cast in place - ill hope to be be mellow but good

Come on - what did you do???

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:37 pm 
Slid off the wallride - very lame.

Nomad will be fine mate - might even be a good choice in the wet? Northern might have a better view on it than me

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next