Forum

Post subject: Riding Sunday May 9th - Danbury
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:37 pm 
Up for some MiniDH action this weekend, early Sunday tho.

Anyone about, not fussed on location.

(provided I can get the steerer onmy new forks cut and all fitted by then)

Post subject: Re: Riding Sunday May 9th
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 2:59 pm 
I'll be at Danbury Sunday am

--------------------------------------
I used to be a lot like you but now I'm only me

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:55 pm 
Id love to mate but away on a stag - hope u manage to give those forks of yours a good thrashing.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:15 pm 
Shame I was counting on you to help me work out the low and high speed compression damping! enjoy the stag...

Forks are on, prob need to file of a couple of mil to get the stem cap to sit down 100% flush but they are on good enough to use.

Steve

Not been to Danbury for anything but XC, whats the freeride and jumps like? Will you be there early ?

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:45 pm 
Ah mate the freeride stuff is superb - well worth checking out

With the fork start with no low speed no high speed. Adjust the low speed first in the car park by riding it about intil it doesnt bob too much.. i only run a couple clicks on the totem. Then with the high speed do some runs - keep adding HSC until you feel like its not blowing through travel - job done :)

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:21 pm 
Karve wrote:
Ah mate the freeride stuff is superb - well worth checking out

With the fork start with no low speed no high speed. Adjust the low speed first in the car park by riding it about intil it doesnt bob too much.. i only run a couple clicks on the totem. Then with the high speed do some runs - keep adding HSC until you feel like its not blowing through travel - job done :)

ok ill give it a try, what do I do with the red one on the bottom...the rabbit and the tortoise ?

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:53 pm 
Ah thats rebound - start with it 2 clicks in from the tortoise and speed it up if it feels slugish one click at a time until you are getting just the right ping off jumps

too much and the bike will ping up in ya face - too little and it will feel like the bike is never coming back up top you on repeated hits.

Make sure you have the right spring by checking the manual :) Its a coil isnt it?

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:17 pm 
Keeping an eye out on the weather before deciding on what type of ride I will do if any. However should I ride I think I will be doing some miles as you don't stay fit just sessioning and been doing alot of that recently. So if there is not a lot of rain will go for an xc session around Worburn Sands.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:32 pm 
I sorted out my hi-speed compression at Cwmcarn, well pleased with how they run now. I thought it was probably an expensive extra I didn't need (the Van RC2's over the Van R's) but I don't see how you could set them up using the right amount of travel without it.

Was thinking about sorting the low-speed compression next, I'll have a play with that on Sunday.

Danbury is excellent - some short but very good downhill runs and lots of jumps to play on. I'm aiming to get there for 9.30 if that's any good?

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:50 am 
Yeah that sounds perfect Steve, do you meet at the location posted on the Riding Spots section in this forum ? I will need to be back about middayish but Its about 30 mins drive so should have a good few hours to ride.

Jon - Yes they are coil but I didnt get a manual!!!

I believe they come with a medium spring but will phone Merlin to check........presumably I need to match the spring to my weight. I'm only 10.5 stone but with my gear on presume this goes up a little bit.....ill check the net to see if this matches up to my weight.

Must admit playing around in my garden they felt marginally plusher than they Domains but not like Steve's Vans, I'm sure some fettling and bedding in and they will be sorted tho.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:10 am 
Ok so internet says that the red spring is standard and this is medium, rider weight is 72-82kg.....maybe I need a lighter spring. I weigh 66kg + riding gear which is going to be a 2 kg ? The next spring down is yellow....63-72kg

I suppose I should weight myself in all my gear to check

Are they difficult to replace ?

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:38 am 
You probably do need a lighter spring, I had to swap mine for the lighter one. Should be easy enough to change. if it's like the Fox then just unscrew the top cap and pull it out.

Have a ride on my bike Sunday and see how it feels.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:14 pm 
trax wrote:
if it's like the Fox then just unscrew the top cap and pull it out.

Yep it will be the same -- 24mm socket or spanner to open it up then swap it out - 1minute job :)

Maybe run a zip on the stactions when riding it on Sunday to see if you are getting full travel with the current spring.

Let us know how they feel.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:52 pm 
Ok will do.

Steve where can I meet you on Sunday morning ?

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:19 pm 
Meet in the car park on the riding spots page - park in the car park at the top (there are two on the map), the smaller one furthest from the road.