Forum

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Summer Alps Trip - August 13th to16th
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:44 am 
Cheers Steve, already had a look around that website.

stupid expensive transfers.

no chance you could pick us up from lyon on the way down beth? and bring out bikes there and back? i dont ask much I know

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:28 pm 
We're not getting very far with sorting things out yet either, I haven't had a chance to look at anything yet...

Would be happy to help you guys out, but I don't think it's gonna work, partly because we're out for 8 days so you'd need to make your own way back but mainly because there's just not enough space in the van!
We've only got 3 seats and Tom and I will be in 2 of them, plus with the bikes we are planning on taking, there is probably only space for another 1 in the back...

What do you guys think about Andorra? Grandvalira / Vallnord looks good and might be a cheaper option, there's supposed to be a lot of riding there...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:07 pm 
Fair enough on the lift - only half serious on the request.

Unfortunately Vallnord is a bit far for matt to drive to from Zurich.

Time to have a further think

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:00 pm 
Guys

I wouldn't stress it and just drive over yourself. I used to do it every year when kayaking.

get eurostar / ferry at 18.30
stay over night in F1 motel Reims (arrive about 1am).
Set off 8am
In the alps for just after lunch!

Returning Sat or sun if you leave about 10 am you will be home before midnight (estimate 10 am ferry / eurostar)

Or get insured 2 or 3 to a car and drive solidly (2 hour shifts) and be in the Alps for breakfast. Drving over night on toll roads in France is easy (85 mph cruise control - empty and very smooth dual carrigeways)

All in I reckon 200 Euros for Tolls (definately use toll roads well worth the money) and 250 euros for diesel (definately recommend diesel). Should be a bit cheaper as your car wont be covered in kayaks! If you are 3 a car it works out prety well.

Nigel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:34 pm 
Nigel is right

some statistics for one way trip:

roughly 120 euro of petrol (I had to fill it up once at 3/4's of the trip)
ferry: 35 pound
toll road in France 65 Euro

I left Chatel 10 AM CET, was in Calais round 19:00 had a quick walk on the beach and arrived in woodford at 12:30 GMT.

Can even be done faster if you take shortcut through the swiss (but you need additional swiss toll vignette)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:23 pm 
Driving is all well and good but we are only talking about a 4 days trip so you lose pretty much 2 days of that driving.

If we were going to chatel this would all be easier but I think a change is in order.

Matt, any thoughts on places up your way we could go instead?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:05 am 
I have a few friends who do this every year for boarding - Get early evening Ferry/Tunnel, drive through the night in shifts and can be in resort as early as you want, so can give you more riding time. Admittedly might not have the best nights broken sleep in the back of the car, but prob not much worse than getting up super early for a flight. Plus don't have the hassle of packing bike for flying, can take more kit with you and could work out cheaper.

gladdice wrote:
If we were going to chatel this would all be easier but I think a change is in order.

Does Chatel/PDS just have the cheaper transfers making it easier?
How much have you guys ridden the Morgins/Avoriaz/Champery side of the PDS, could that be an option if it is a lot easier/cheaper to get to?

Switzerland - There are a few places that would be worthy of a visit, but I think the transfers could be even worse here, hire cars are expensive (more than France) and I doubt there are any cheap transfer services in operation, but i'll have a search.

--------------------------------------
"It's a cold, miserable day.. but that's what makes us tougher than those boys"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:09 pm 
More than happy to hit up the pds again if lda is a pain in the butt. Leogang frikin rocks btw!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:35 am 
Morgins/avoriaz/champery side sounds good.

have to be guided by you on where to stay etc Matt, i am guessing we would still fly in to geneva?

glad you are enjoying some great biking Jon while the rest of us to do 12 hours days here. still new bike arrives on wednesday in theory!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:57 am 
Have any of you ridden them previously?
I know where they are on the map, but no idea about getting between the different resorts when riding, or which is the best to stay in. Morgins looks the most central, but only one lift out, could ride down to Chatel but i guess that means a ride/bus up to the Chatel lift?
Good map here: http://www.portesdusoleil.com/main/FCK/File/PDF/Portes_du_Soleil_Panorama_ete_MTBetRando_09.pdf

Geneve would still be the closest airport - is there a transfer company you have in mind you can check pricing etc with?

--------------------------------------
"It's a cold, miserable day.. but that's what makes us tougher than those boys"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:25 pm 
Hi Gang

Been a while would love to do something like this however i have to cover someone for five weeks in work : ( he got in before me on the Holiday list. Looks like one complicated operation this time round hope you sort something out.

Joel

I know someone with a broken bake bag in their shed you might want to speak to. He borrowed it for Morzine last year but it broke almost instantly ; ) : ) two bits of wood should fix the problem i imagine.

You can keep the bag if its any use to you i'm thinking of getting something different anyway. ( besides i never did come back to pick it up so its practicaly yours anyway)

Hope to join a ride with you guys at some point until then take care.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:55 pm 
Law,

On the bike bag still waiting for you to pick it up when you want. The damage is only cosmetic really. Happy to take it off you for a fee if you want a different one.

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:53 pm 
Hey Joel

Its yours for dragging my sorry ass out of "THE GAP" last year :roll: :lol: One good turn deserves another mate enjoy.

Now all you have to do is figure out how to fit your new bike into it :twisted: :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:59 pm 
Hey, Im quite keen. How much would it cost? Also, any kit required other than shin/knee pads? Do I need my own car? (I dont drive.. =/)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:07 pm 
Cheers law but at least let me buy you a drink or two and sort you out with a "huck n roll" bamsh t-shirt.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next