Forum

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 26" hardtail Ragley Piglet in the making - guidance need
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:51 pm 
Thanks Eccles, away for 10 days from Monday so I will get in touch with him when I get back. Looking online, £70 + delivery/pick up cost. I have spent plenty already so I have got to finish the bike first then worry about the service.

--------------------------------------
MTB cos other sports require only 1 ball

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:04 pm 
Getting there, well over my budget so far but the boy will grow with it I hope. The brakes and the headset left.

Help is needed. I am having a nightmare with finding the right headset. The complication comes with the fact that Ragley recommends a headset with 'internal lower cup' since I am using 130mm+ travel (otherwise external bottom cup is OK). The head tube is 44mm straight top & bottom and I have tapered fork (28.6 top & 40 bottom) so the SHIS specification would be ZS44/28.6 ZS44/40 (ZS for Zero Stack)

I have searched the internet endlessly over the weekend. I see plenty Cane Creek 40 & Nukeproof 44IETS ZS44/28.6 EC44/40 (EC for External Cup) which is what Ragley recommends on their website but I worry if I would be voiding the frame warranty if I use one. Other than this, I have no idea if 10mm of external cup will have a notable difference in the geometry. It has got to the point where I have no option but to use the EC44/40.

Anyone experienced with headsets? Never searched this long for anything without results.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:22 pm 
Call Radley and see what they say. better yet email them so you get it in writting

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:09 am 
I'd say if your son was a seasoned racer or something then yes 10mm difference may afftect geometry BUT he's not (is he?).

Calling Radley as AgentOrange says will do the trick as well but I wouldn't worry about the 10mm - just get the bike done - your son will love it ;)

And on the build for my son (the Kona). He now has some DT wheels & hubs that are lighter than the Halfords specials I put on it (second hand from a mate) and absolutely loves the bike. We've done Bedgebury a few times and he says it's great and that it gives him more confidence.

Strava Profile: http://goo.gl/iSl5I

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:21 am 
How did you go with groupset in the end mate? I left the Zee 1x10 set-up as standard and to my surprise he loves the Zee shifter.

Also ended up changing seat and saddle for white & black Crank Bros ones to match the bike - again was a hit with Jamie....

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:40 pm 
I had no luck from Ragley - email only and their emails divert to Hotlines UK. Their reply last week is 'work out the SHIS and buy the appropriate headset if available'. So, over the weekend i learned a lot about the headsets. If I have no luck today then I will go for the external headset. Was more worried about frame warranty but its unlikely for a 10yr old to damage a steel frame head tube.

I have ordered the XT shifter/cassette/rear mech. Again, more than what I wanted to pay but he wont be getting another bike for some years I hope. Wheels are Cole Aries 920 1/2 price from Evans. Nice and smooth rolling hubs, sealed cartridge and 15mm bolt through. a free wheel bag.

We should get the boys out one day. I hear a lot about Bedgebury but never had the chance. Cyclopark would be our first trip beyond Danbury as he can ride his BMX there too....eh..I need a van!

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:31 pm 
Cyclopark sounds cool - 20 mins over the bridge from me ;)

And I got myself a Citroen Berlingo at Christmas as I was tired of taking the bikes to bits to get them in my VW CC...

Now I wouldn't be without the bike bus :)

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:14 pm 
Nice one. I will let you know when ready. All the XT bits have arrived. I did not go for Zee because the hub takes 9-speed only and Zee is 10sp. The XT cassette is 11-34 so just shy of the 11-36 ratio.

One problem, the Nukeproof headset did not show up, it was out of stock. CRC will have it on 25th. Same everywhere. So annoying, I could have bought it ages ago.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:19 pm 
Thank you for all the tips and ideas guys. A long time to get here but finally my son's bike is finished. It took a while as I went twice over the budget so no pocket money for the little on for 2yrs :lol:

Took it to CycleUK last week to do the headset & BB @ £20 each but they offered to do the complete bike for £80. Fittings, adjustments, cutting the bars & the steerer tube - I thought it was a fair price. Just need to go back to shorten the brake pipes because I was missing the olive & pin, and shorten the fork travel to 120mm.

I cant upload the pics, not sure why but will try again tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:54 am 
Was going to say "Hope pic n mix" for headset but you have sorted it already..I'm a bit late reading your thread..lol

Stay on target...!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:15 am 
Yep, thats what I got. I had to settle for an external bottom cup 44/40 even so the travel is 140mm - there is no internal bottom cup for a 44mm headtube, these are most common with tapered head tubes (56mm at the bottom) . It took a month to figure that out so I kept buying the wrong headset. It was a good learning curve though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:43 pm 
The Piglet photos - excuse the spaghetti junction around the head tube. These will be shortened as soon as I have the Olive & pin delivered.

The seat tube is in fact a bit high for a 10yr old legs, I may need to reduce the travel on the fork to 100mm to lower the cockpit a bit. With the seat lower it looks like a DMR bike.

Its just the first experiment so I am learning as I go along.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/57452905@ ... 981384505/

Last edited by Whytey on Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:47 pm 
Very nice ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:15 pm 
Lovely looking bike, well jell. Now sort that seat angle out

fund raising for the kaiser challenge again  http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/team/Sausage

Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:19 pm 
Looking good, I do like the orange..:)

Stay on target...!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next