Forum

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: New bloke all signed up with no idea or gear so needing
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:00 pm 
The specialized looks to be about 2004.

--------------------------------------
www.gw-designs.co.uk/home

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:22 pm 
Just got back to me, It's an 06

I'd rather ride me bike than the Wife..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:37 pm 
Festa wrote:
just got back to me, It's an 06

Bit old then? That's a shame. Ow well back to the drawing board

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:43 pm 
Yeah lol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:47 pm 
With the budgets you guys are looking at, unless you're going for a good used bike (like Gary fisher, specialized or any quality make) you really only have to decide what colour you want. please don't take this the wrong way, but you are only going to get bottom end components on a bottom end frame on any of these bikes. i doubt there will be any noticeable difference at our riding level between the suntour or rock shox dart forks so either would do and possibly nothing between the frames, their all going to be around 100mm specific. You don't want to be upgrading forks and brakes in a year or so. Get the best you possibly can for your money which may involve a bit of tyre kicking, £ 500 is a lot of money.
I started with a second hand Specialized FSR bought from ebay for £150 quid back in 2004 and still made over £200 this past jan when i broke it for parts.
I don't envy your sleepless nights, i had nearly a year of them trying to choose my current bike.
There is a different route, build your own. 500 quids worth of ebay parts would build a nice ride. i built a hardtail to commute on, did have some wheels and a few small parts but got the rest of ebay and built it myself with the help of youtube for around £400. it would have cost around the £1000 to buy off the shelf, so thats another thing to chew on.
If you want to have a look at my hi-fi i can be at south ockendon telephone exchange at 18.40 tomorrow eve, PM me before 8am tomorrow and i'll chuck it in the car.

Cheers

Clay

Tally ho lads over the top we go!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:00 pm 
Well you could look at it another way. If you did spend about £400 and in a years time you don't like riding then you haven't spent too much but in a years time you love it then you would be wanting to upgrade the whole bike to a better one anyway when you really know what you want and the type of riding you want to do. Also the misses may let you spend more lol.

www.gw-designs.co.uk/home

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:08 pm 
Just out of interest have a look at this

http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/Bike ... &Type=bike

cheers

Tally ho lads over the top we go!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:09 pm 
http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/m1b0s196p ... Hydro_2011

Theres a few options at triton at the moment, and Luke happens to be a member of this forum. :clap:

Its easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:25 pm 
Thanks again lads, that GT at triton is mega cheap and local. Might have to pay a visit..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:28 pm 
Another option is finance some places offer 0% finance over the year, with the cash you got that would be a good deposit and a substantial amount off it then pay balance over the year

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:44 pm 
carl wrote:
Another option is finance some places offer 0% finance over the year, with the cash you got that would be a good deposit and a substantial amount off it then pay balance over the year

nope dont do finance been there done that learnt the lessons, cash man now if i aint got it i dont buy it..

looking at the Triton site they have some amazing deals on 2011 and 2012 bikes, im going to pop in there and have a look round me thinks :!:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:03 pm 
Festa wrote:
carl wrote:

nope dont do finance been there done that learnt the lessons, cash man now if i aint got it i dont buy it..

looking at the Triton site they have some amazing deals on 2011 and 2012 bikes, im going to pop in there and have a look round me thinks :!:

Wise man well when you get your bike your be wanting to take it off road? as I am quite a novice to and need to practice my skills as no doubt you will want to,too. So I will be happy to meet up and have a few practice sessions. And don't forget ur need protection :o. Not that sort, helmet elbow and knee pads etc I mean lol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:09 pm 
carl wrote:
Festa wrote:
carl wrote:

Wise man well when you get your bike your be wanting to take it off road? as I am quite a novice to and need to practice my skills as no doubt you will want to,too. So I will be happy to meet up and have a few practice sessions. And don't forget ur need protection :o. Not that sort, helmet elbow and knee pads etc I mean lol

yeah defo mate, were abouts are you?

and yeah will be buying the helmet etc and i still have a nice lightweight pressure suit with armour left over from my motocross days :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:26 pm 
I just bought a full face helmet and was lookoing at body armour jackets until my mate who does quading didn't recommend them says they are hot uncomfortable and itchy so might go for the leg and elbow pads but that won't give me the spine protection. So undecided on that one at the mo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:31 pm 
I have some spare pads fpr sale, will have a look tomorrow as going to work now, it may help you out. I know I have a brand new pair of dainese elbow/forearm pads.

Its easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next